Still worried about our midfield

GOAT

1 minute ago, laudrupno1 said:

This ,we've only played one league game and already looking like a team think we're in for an exciting season once all the guys click.

Agreed mate. I don't think we're finished in the transfer market either, so only going to get better. Our bench was weak tonight and Sadiq definitely needs to get match sharpness! 

We did struggle 1st half and were missing jack badly. Gaffer said it himself the shape and balance wasn't quite right.

I felt 2nd half our midfield took control and pressed much better. They struggled to get through us. 

I've said before we still lack that extra bit of creativity in the middle. I'd like to see a playmaker come in with the ability to open up oppositions with his passing. 

7 minutes ago, theclothmonster said:

Biggest concern was how badly we seemed to deal with set pieces and crosses into the box in that first half. 

Lets give a wee bit of credit to the Slovenian's. They are big, strong and skillful and were a handful. Score away and we win.

6 minutes ago, rabc10000 said:

when you talk about deep lying play makers jack is 110% not that.  the position your talking about is guys like say pirlo in his prime ( not comparing the 2 players ) who could make the simple pass 2 yds to a player but could also fire 50/60 yard passes onto a players toe. i get what your looking for but imo it certainly aint jack

Yeah that would be the ideal type player and I wasn't meaning that's the player Jack is. I'm more meaning someone who can take the ball from the CB and work/pass the ball forward into dangerous areas whilst breaking up play when needed. I think Jack is capable of that if we have Coulibaly in there to help.

I'm not for a second saying Jack is the definite player to play that role but out of what we have he may be the closest to it.

Dorrans may be a shout as well but unless we buy another midfield it needs to be one of the 2.

13 minutes ago, Smell the hotdog said:

Ejaria gets stick but he’s the only person who can create something out of nothing.

He needs to learn that unless he’s in the final 3rd he doesn’t need a through ball. Simple ball is the best one at times especially in middle of the park.

I like him, he’s only young and no better to learn off than the gaffer himself. 

He's raw...and will hopefully learn quickly. I said in the match thread.....he does the hard things easily, but fucks up at the easy part.

We need a more experienced play maker for the advanced role. Not sure if Dorrans can cut it nowadays, but it's that type of guy we need. 

22 minutes ago, GOAT said:

First half that mob were walking through us.  Reckon we need another big strong defensive midfielder on top of another centre half and striker.  I’m also a bit worried about the left hand side, just don’t think the Kent boy has it. 

I think if when sign a c.m with the quality on the ball we will be just fine,we have more than enough def mid cover.

i also thought Kent looked and is very l dangerous and direct,ok he loses it sometimes but he also makes things happens and had a assist tonight and so nearly scored another.

if we sign a quality striker and c.m we have a chance winning the league 

2 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Lets give a wee bit of credit to the Slovenian's. They are big, strong and skillful and were a handful. Score away and we win.

I do give credit to them they were a right handful in the air in the first half, doesn't make it any less of a concern going into the return leg. If SG wants to invite them onto us and counter in the second leg then it's one area that will need improving. The team gave a fantastic performance tonight, clear above anything we've seen in recent years, doesn't mean you can't discuss where we can be better.

31 minutes ago, rabc10000 said:

when you talk about deep lying play makers jack is 110% not that.  the position your talking about is guys like say pirlo in his prime ( not comparing the 2 players ) who could make the simple pass 2 yds to a player but could also fire 50/60 yard passes onto a players toe. i get what your looking for but imo it certainly aint jack

Those players are few and far between. Even at the top level. Barcelona haven't really replaced Xavi and Man Utd have been crying out for that player for years.

No idea who we could find on our budget. Charlie Adam? I don't like him but he seems keen and can pass and shoot. Possibly more suited to playing deeper now.

41 minutes ago, Siwel said:

Kent was good I thought he pressed like fuck and was beating his man. Ejaria was pish in the first half but I thought he did okay in the second half when we changed the shape a bit

Kent tries but got me still too raw and Ejaria lost the ball far too often,I’m hoping we can use the cash for Windass to get a Lm and another striker in,think they might be decent squad options but not starters for me.

56 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Folk need to remember these players are only starting to gel and sometimes, as happened in the 1st half, revert to instinct rather than following team orders.   

Bang on.

This team has been together 6 weeks.

SIX!!!

8 games unbeaten and never been behind.

Missed Jack. Didn't think Coulibally was as disciplined or positionally as good as Jack was v Aberdeen in the first half tonight. 

Second half was better after Gerrard had a word about 'distances'.

I’m not concerned about an Arfield - Jack - Coulibaly midfield at all. Obviously fitness and suspensions etc can rule some of them out for some games, but as long as we can into the bigger and more important matches with them then I’m confident in them. 

12 minutes ago, callumbo87 said:

Ejaria for me was a real liability and messed about/lost the ball far too much. If I was SG I would bring in a no10 ASAP for some creativity and defo a striker to help fredo who was sensational bar the stupid offside goal.

This is a myth that needs to be quashed on RM before the followers follow suit. Some of his passes were spot on this evening. His best game in a Rangers shirt without being outstanding.

A couple of times we were a bit slack but our biggest enemy is ourself by giving the ball away too easily.

For us having so many new players we are doing so much better than many thought we would. Only a half dozen or so games played together. The more games we play the better and tighter we will get.

2 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Some nice touches but its a big step up from a development league

Yeah. Ejaria especially needs to develop some intensity and efficiency in his play. Needs for his good touches to be followed by something damaging.

28 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

This is a myth that needs to be quashed on RM before the followers follow suit. Some of his passes were spot on this evening. His best game in a Rangers shirt without being outstanding.

Sorry mate, will have to agree to disagree. He is bang average and doesn't bring enough to the team in terms of an attacking threat. We need better. 

31 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

He was piss poor in the first half, nothing mythical about that.  A lot better in the second.