*** Official NK Maribor vs Rangers Match Thread***

RFCRobertson

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Smile said:

He was an arse he offered nothing tonight bar running offside and acting like an arse he's needing to concentrate on scoring and learn the offside rule.

While you have a point with the offside comment, IMO you are miles off with the first part.  The Maribor players spent the entire game  trying to bait him, niggle at him, kick him etc.   he done really well to only react the way he did, and his holding of the ball in the later stages was crucial.

He is a massive player for us.

He does need to calm down a bit, and he does need to do better at not being offside.

1 minute ago, DrLaudrup said:

Some people critical of the performance but for me that had all the marks of the experience of Gerrard. I thought it was a magnificent and professional european away performance given the lead we had. There was no need to take risks. The onus was all on them tonight and we knew they would press us. Also, there are increasing signs of some key players, like our CBs and Ryan Jack who looks reborn under Gerrard. And what a return from McGregor.

Yes they had chances but we were mainly solid without being really defensive. When we got the ball we were calm in possession and played short passes and played in the channels etc. I think Gerrard will be delighted with the performance of the squad tonight, all the more so given injuries and suspensions we had. 

The performance was shite result was great. if we had a decent striker rather than Morelos Tavs excellent pass would have finished the game but no he ran offside again.

2 minutes ago, Smile said:

we picked up a lot of yellows for first tackles they only picked up one at the end and they fouled just as much as us.

IMHO Refs that make poor decisions should be challenged frequently, otherwise they just keep getting away with it. Hope SG can get some of our yellows rescinded. 

14 minutes ago, Smile said:

He was fucking awful tonight he was lucky to stay on the park as well he could see the ref was booking us and he tried to put his head to the player. 

Morelos was class today.  He was bullying their defence all day and ran them into the ground.  It's the reason they resorted to play acting and trying to wind him up.  He is the key to how we play.  Without the work he does up top, we would be doing nothing but defending all game.  He gives the out ball.

Just now, gogzy said:

While you have a point with the offside comment, IMO you are miles off with the first part.  The Maribor players spent the entire game  trying to bait him, niggle at him, kick him etc.   he done really well to only react the way he did, and his holding of the ball in the later stages was crucial.

He does need to calm down a bit, and he does need to do better at not being offside.

He's a liability he cost us three points against Aberdeen and could have cost us tonight with his petulance. Why did the Maribor players niggle him should be the question.

Fuck me, there are some right fucking weapons in this thread.

That was a superb team performance and we've got people bitching about player attitudes and the odd stray pass.

Muppets.

That was a proper display by a proper Ranger's team tonight.

8 minutes ago, Smile said:

He was an arse he offered nothing tonight bar running offside and acting like an arse he's needing to concentrate on scoring and learn the offside rule.

That is utter pish.  He relieved pressure on us so many times holding the ball up and ran himself into the channels at every opportunity.  He was one of our best players tonight.  We had a very clear gameplan and he was a big part of that.  He needs to not motion with his head as the cunts in Scotland will send him off for that but besides that he was absolutely solid.

Our whole 11 done fine, the only player I felt was slightly off the pace was Ejaria.  He is alright in possession but doesn't seem to offer much going forward or defensively, just kind of drifts about and gets involved in the odd triangle of passing here and there.

Just now, gogzy said:

He's the first line of defence for us. 

How well he does up there on his own at holding it up and waiting for support, at 21 too, is brilliant. 

He'll always have a temper.

Whenever somethings about to kick off the closest player in a Rangers top should get right between him and the opposition, I like him being fired up

1 minute ago, Smile said:

He's a liability he cost us three points against Aberdeen and could have cost us tonight with his petulance. Why did the Maribor players niggle him should be the question.

Eh wit? He got red carded for a yellow carded offence. 

Yeah he's a hot head but he didn't cost us 3 points in Aberdeen. There still was 10 players on that pitch that made the sheep shaggers look like fools. and a defensive lapse in the closing stages. 

I honestly wasn't worried at all after the first 15 minutes. We just looked so composed at the back and Gerrard's pre-match comments worked in our favour. IMO, he knew that by saying that they had to come out and attack and leave space for us to counter, would men they shut up shop a bit. And that's how it went really. They really only went for it that last 15-20 minutes. I knew by then our defence was solid enough to cope. 

I still think we need another goal threat. I can't see Arfield, Murphy, Ejaria or Jack getting the 10-15 midfield goals we'll need in the SPL. 

I love watching this team again though, it's all coming together nicely!! 

1 minute ago, Smile said:

Nonsense.  The ref cost us 2 points.

Football players are not statues mate,  thy are going to react at times.

You have a small point regarding his petulance and willingness to get  involved, but you have to take into account how he is treated on the park.

3 minutes ago, gogzy said:

Just quoted because you can only like once.

spot on.

8 minutes ago, Smile said:

He was fucking awful tonight he was lucky to stay on the park as well he could see the ref was booking us and he tried to put his head to the player. 

Double-you tea eff. ?

1 minute ago, RDB14 said:

That is utter pish.  He relieved pressure on us so many times holding the ball up and ran himself into the channels at every opportunity.  He was one of our best players tonight.  We had a very clear gameplan and he was a big part of that.  He needs to not motion with his head as the cunts in Scotland will send him off for that but besides that he was absolutely solid.

Our whole 11 done fine, the only player I felt was slightly off the pace was Ejaria.  He is alright in possession but doesn't seem to offer much going forward or defensively, just kind of drifts about and gets involved in the odd triangle of passing here and there.

We need better upfront and a player who is brighter than Morelos he's too easy to wind up like a daft wee boy.

Archived