Mark Allen Interview.

gogzy

Said before , the DoF is the route we should be taking . 

Hopefully gone are the days where a manager picks who he wants and if it doesn't work out we are left with wholesale changes like we've had for the last few years . It's been killing us . We need someone to recruit for Rangers and then a manager that can adapt to them with a few changes . 

As for MA , so far so good . I was impressed with the way he dealt after the Caxingha episode where he offered options depending on which way the board wanted to go . Ultimately we dodged a bullet when the board opted for McInnes . Now they've listened to him as far as SG is concerned , and despite my initial feelings , looks to be the best signing we've made in years . 

Player wise , on the whole it's been excellent . Depending on the figures publicised , we've spent about £8M and recouped over £3M , nearly half of what the tarriers have spent on one player , and yet here we are , with real expectations of a successful season  both in the league and in Europe . Who'd have thought that this time a few months ago ? 

Thanks for this.

I always mistrust what any 'behind the scenes' guy says. They always talk a good game and all talk a good project. Whatever Allen has done this season is excellent. I'm not sure why he was so shite last season. A couple more years(transfer windows) like the past few months and I'll overcome any doubts over what Allen brings to the club.

You have to win the right to control a game, let ability take its turn after that. But you have to earn the right first.... 

Not sure what to make of Mark Allen. Statement above is stating the obvious and last season was an absolute nightmare as far as managers and players were concerned. 

Can't complain about this year's recruitment though, which makes last year's all the more difficult to understand. 

5 hours ago, gogzy said:

Manchester City then called. 'The link was purely fortuitous,' he says. 'Man City then were just about to undergo changes with Sheikh Mansour. The finance director who I worked with at MTV became the chief financial officer at Man City and the club was in transition and looking for execs. They were looking for someone who could drive their academy system and had a business background. I fitted that specification.' 

The guy he worked with at MTV and Man City would have been Graham Wallace, our old CEO. Given his experience while at Rangers I'm surprised Allen came here, but glad he did.

Seems to be doing a decent job; correct infrastructure is in place for recruitment and coaching and the transfer policy seems to be right for the first time in years. If he succeeds we succeed, so good luck to the guy.

I wouldn't take any shine away from Allen but I have a firm belief that Gerrard is the main driving force behind our best signings. I'm certain in my gut that they communicate well but I can see SG saying I want Goldson, I want Borasic, I want Coulibaly, I want a big hard solid guy like Katic. 

Full credit for getting these deals done but I'm looking at one man for turning us around and thats our manager. Allan most likely moved on McGregor and Arfield but we were told that JJ was the one who sourced Morelos.

2 minutes ago, saintbob1969 said:

I wouldn't take any shine away from Allen but I have a firm belief that Gerrard is the main driving force behind our best signings. I'm certain in my gut that they communicate well but I can see SG saying I want Goldson, I want Borasic, I want Coulibaly, I want a big hard solid guy like Katic. 

Full credit for getting these deals done but I'm looking at one man for turning us around and thats our manager. Allan most likely moved on McGregor and Arfield but we were told that JJ was the one who sourced Morelos.

Allen deserves huge credit for putting together the scouting network who scouted these players. Do you think Gerrard knew who Katic and Barisic were before he came to Rangers?

1 hour ago, Dazzler said:

You have to win the right to control a game, let ability take its turn after that. But you have to earn the right first.... 

Not sure what to make of Mark Allen. Statement above is stating the obvious and last season was an absolute nightmare as far as managers and players were concerned. 

Can't complain about this year's recruitment though, which makes last year's all the more difficult to understand. 

He wasn’t responsible for Caxainha’s appointment, nor(I’m guessing) any of the signings.

He also states in that interview he simply observed for the first year to fully understand what needed done.

On the face of it he has been 100% correct in his approach.

15 minutes ago, Siwel said:

Allen deserves huge credit for putting together the scouting network who scouted these players. Do you think Gerrard knew who Katic and Barisic were before he came to Rangers?

I think Borasic was spotted and targeted after he played us, maybe they had him in their sights but I doubt it. And yes, I think SG is very much aware of the players out there. I'm not going to gloss over last season though, MA didn't identify the Mexicans I'm sure, and neither did his scouting network, but the difference between last season and the players who have only just come in is like night and day. 

11 minutes ago, saintbob1969 said:

I think Borasic was spotted and targeted after he played us, maybe they had him in their sights but I doubt it. And yes, I think SG is very much aware of the players out there. I'm not going to gloss over last season though, MA didn't identify the Mexicans I'm sure, and neither did his scouting network, but the difference between last season and the players who have only just come in is like night and day. 

SG said Barisic was on the radar before we played them. I imagine it works like a lot of DoFs in that they sit down and work out the profile of the player they want and MA gives SG a shortlist to consider with a recommendation. 

Whatever they are doing is working and I think MA is playing a big part in it. At least Robertson seems less involved than previously which is a major positive.

6 minutes ago, Laudrup1984 said:

I think a lot of people understandably are sceptical of the director of football role as it can potentially undermine the manager and cause conflict and division. However the huge benefit of having one has meant that even before Gerrard came in we had already done the groundwork on a number of players and it seemed it was just a case of Gerrard giving the acquisition of certain players the nod. Without Allen being here Gerrard, as good as he may be, he would have been so far behind in the recruitment process and we may have missed out on some players. Therefore even if the manager changes having Allen here keeps that consistency and we avoid missing out on certain targets.

Allen has completely revamped our scouting process and was also instrumental in bringing in Gerrard. On paper he seems to be doing a really good job and IMO deserves credit especially as many have been wary and critical of his appointment. In fairness to him the timing of his appointment meant he was always going to struggle to make an immediate impact as he was appointed after Pedro when it should have been the other way round. Pedro then seemed to have full reign of who came in without any influence from Allen. Effectively he was working with one hand tied behind his back.

Now he fully has his feet under the table I think we seem to be seeing the benefits a decent director of football can bring. Without him I don't think we would have been as prepared in our recruitment process and ready for our European run. We may have lost out to guys like Arfield, Katic, McGregor etc although there is an element of guesswork on my part. However if you're not aware of free transfers like Arfield early you'll lose it to other teams as they'll not be short of options.

So far nothing has been achieved. It will depend on where we are at the end of the season but I think certainly look far more capable this season and understandably we're all a tad optimistic. We've had a rough few years and it's good to have a few glimpses of the real Rangers being back. As soon as one game is finished I just can't wait for the next. 

An excellent post. I hope you are correct. I'm still sceptical but hope to have my remaining doubts overcome. At this rate they will be after another one or two transfer windows. I know not every signing will be a success but Allen and his team have to continue recruiting value for money players at a higher success rate than in previous years.

39 minutes ago, tannerall said:

So what exactly does Mark Allen do ?

Reading between the lines I suspect he was not the most instrumental in identifying Gerrard initially.

How did you arrive at that one Tannerall?

Not sure what’s between them but the actual lines seem to state he was impressed with Gerrard when Head of Man City academy, took his time and identified what was required at Rangers (from top to bottom), made a recommendation to the board and ultimately sought Liverpool’s permission to approach him.

2 minutes ago, teuchterblue said:

An excellent post. I hope you are correct. I'm still sceptical but hope to have my remaining doubts overcome. At this rate they will be after another one or two transfer windows. I know not every signing will be a success but Allen and his team have to continue recruiting value for money players at a higher success rate than in previous years.

To be honest I've always been a little wary of the director of football role but I guess the key things are it should allow the director of football to do all the donkey work if you like and draw up a list of players who mentally and technically fit our model which then allows Gerrard to focus on purely on the football side of things. Then once we have targets Gerrard can give his views. I don't think it will be as black and white as that though as Gerrard will have thousands of contacts too and will have seen and be aware of many a player so it should be a case of everyone working together bouncing ideas and thoughts against each other. It should just ease the burden on Gerrard though especially with so many fixtures early on.

The reason why it doesn't seem to work in some instances is down to the relationship the director of football and manager have. Some managers feel undermined. Gerrard however seems to embrace it and so far they seem to be getting on well. They relationship they have is imperative for it to work. One thing I've noticed from Gerrard, Gary Mac, and all the players recent interviews is the emphasis on togetherness and it seems everyone gets it, is of the same wavelength and pulling in the same direction. In addition to the it goes without saying the director of football also has to be able to have a decent eye for a player too. So far it seems fairly positive and long may it continue.

1 hour ago, saintbob1969 said:

We had him in our sights before the games

3 hours ago, saintbob1969 said:

Your wrong,we/Allen knew of him before we played them,we didn’t just sign him off the back of 2 games