Creativity/attacking quality

Broxi

Don't mean this thread in a moany way, just an observation but I think we're lacking quality in an attacking sense from wide and midfield. Kent and Candeias are both average wingers and our midfield 3 don't have the creative side in them. Excellent for defence (Coulibaly, Jack, McCrorie) and pressing and controlling games with those 3 and Arfield and Ejaria but none of them have shown they can be the creative spark and it's shown in the fact none of the central midfielders have an assist yet this season.

As bad as it sounds I hope Murphy's injury may become a blessing in disguise and it forces us to go out and sign another winger. We needed better quality even with Murphy but already had 4 so probably wouldn't have, now with him out I hope we go and add quality there and not just a Jamie Walker type signing as has been suggested, add someone quality then our team will be ready for the league imo

We look most dangerous from set pieces tbh. We're doing well, and are frustratingly close to being a proper good side... But we've got big problems coming our way over the course of a season if we don't add a quality attacking midfielder and more importantly a winger. Hard to understate how much Kent, Candeias and Murphy handicap us.

I know it's early days but I genuinely think Middleton is our best winger. If he was 24 years old and not 18 I think you wouldn't think twice about it.

Take age out of it and he's performed better than Kent has imo, who joined the first team at the same time as Middleton. However I do have a concern that Middleton is a one trick pony, he goes to the byline every time and I don't think I've seen him cut inside once yet but I think he deserves a few more chances. Regardless though we definitely need a new signing, be it a winger or a attacking midfielder and then I'll be delighted with the summer window. 

1 minute ago, Broxi said:

I know it's early days but I genuinely think Middleton is our best winger. If he was 24 years old and not 18 I think you wouldn't think twice about it.

Take age out of it and he's performed better than Kent has imo, who joined the first team at the same time as Middleton. However I do have a concern that Middleton is a one trick pony, he goes to the byline every time and I don't think I've seen him cut inside once yet but I think he deserves a few more chances. Regardless though we definitely need a new signing, be it a winger or a attacking midfielder and then I'll be delighted with the summer window. 

You may well be right, and he looked quality again tonight, but we won't find out if he's the answer before the window closes. We need to recruit as well as give him a shot.

Kent is getting better, his effort when he cut In was not that far off the mark.

Candeias lacks the ability to beat the fullback but his work rate is superb.

I think Middleton has one move but he does it very well.

The trouble we had tonight wad they crowded the box and got a number of blocks or deflections from crosses and cutbacks.

I don’t think a better quality winger would have helped that much tonight. I think a central midfielder who has the ability to beat a man and play the cutting passes is what we need (as well as Arfield getting some space to shoot as he has a decent shot on him).

Ejaria impressed tonight more than his other performances but I don’t see him being that creative midfielder.

We need a good attacking/creative midfielder who can shoot from outside the box and  plays the most forward of the 3 midfielders to help unlock packed defences and chip in with the odd goal.

Other than that we are looking really hard to break down and our ball retention looks quality.

Like night and day from last season. Left ibrox a happy cunt tonight.

1 minute ago, Inigo said:

We won't sit with 4 strikers when we almost always play with one.

Other than Morelos who can you see getting goals? I know it’s still early but we had Windass scoring. Now we really only have Tav who can score and Katic and Goldson getting one now and then. 

13 minutes ago, sausagetrunks said:

we need to fucking shoot sometimes 

This!

That was the most suspect goalkeeper I've seen for a long time but we never really made him work. Flapped at anything that came his way. Of course, shooting is one thing....getting them on target is another!

1 minute ago, Bigdave30 said:

We need a good attacking/creative midfielder who can shoot from outside the box and  plays the most forward of the 3 midfielders to help unlock packed defences and chip in with the odd goal.

Fully agree with this. 

The midfield 3 tonight there was hesitancy to take a dig. Arfield got in 1 or 2 good positions but didn't pull the trigger. Annoying because that goalkeeper looks suspect. 

Just now, GersInCanada said:

Did nobody notice that we are still unbeaten this season.

Just don't get the doom and gloom after a European win.

It’s not doom and gloom from most.

I think you have to be able to see the good and bad from a game to learn what to keep doing and what to improve on and I can tell from Gerrards post match interview he wasn’t pleased with the performance overall and that’s good because it means we don’t just settle for a 1-0 win at home in Europe we look to see what we could do better.