Detrimental effect being in Europa League to our title challenge

RosscoRFC87

I don’t see how being in one competition will affect us in the other. 

While we seem to have make strides forward since last year it’s still too early to tell. We’ve navigated the qualifying rounds well so far but going forwards we still lack a spark. We don’t have a midfielder like rogic who will get goals.

win away at ufa and I think Sunday will take care of itself but in all honesty I’m expecting nothing from Sunday’s game. 

1 hour ago, RosscoRFC87 said:

Bit premature but seeing signs already of being tired got me thinking.

The £7,000,000 and bears being back in Europe are obviously great for the club,

but the more we're in the Europa League, do you think it may have a worrying detrimental effect to our season to maybe even be the difference in challenging for the title this season or not?

I'd say on the evidence of today (only the third game in) without the depth we require to properly rotate an A and B team we may actually need 100% of our energy in the league if we want to properly challenge.

I suppose the bheasts have the same problem and struggled to beat Hamilton at home today also whereas we were away to the most physical team in the league. 

similiar points to note:

•when the tims got to Seville, we won the league.

•when we got to Manchester, they won the league.

•Chelsea had no European games in Conte's first year and won the league over teams being in the Champions League

I guess it's one of those ones, none the less it would be great to see some big teams and be in amongst  it at least in the Europa groups this season 

Personally thinking a title challenge is needed more than ever as we're running of out of years here so it's just a genuine concern to not give those c*nts another one

I would actually say appropriate footwear is required for the defenders before looking at the europa league being a distraction 

2 hours ago, RosscoRFC87 said:

Bit premature but seeing signs already of being tired got me thinking.

The £7,000,000 and bears being back in Europe are obviously great for the club,

but the more we're in the Europa League, do you think it may have a worrying detrimental effect to our season to maybe even be the difference in challenging for the title this season or not?

I'd say on the evidence of today (only the third game in) without the depth we require to properly rotate an A and B team we may actually need 100% of our energy in the league if we want to properly challenge.

I suppose the bheasts have the same problem and struggled to beat Hamilton at home today also whereas we were away to the most physical team in the league. 

similiar points to note:

•when the tims got to Seville, we won the league.

•when we got to Manchester, they won the league.

•Chelsea had no European games in Conte's first year and won the league over teams being in the Champions League

I guess it's one of those ones, none the less it would be great to see some big teams and be in amongst  it at least in the Europa groups this season 

Personally thinking a title challenge is needed more than ever as we're running of out of years here so it's just a genuine concern to not give those c*nts another one

Yes I think you make a valid point. I reckon the longer we are in Europe the less likely we are to win the league this season.

If I’m being honest with myself I thought we wouldn’t challenge under Gerrard until next season and this season was more about instilling some fight and defensive quality into the team. Admittedly after the start we had I got greedy and thought we might win the league as well. Given the choice though I’d take a close second in the league this season, a cup and a decent European run to fund the real challenge next season.

Dont get me wrong though, I think celtic are on the decline and I haven’t given up the league this season. However I’m acutely aware of the fact we lack depth and quality attacking players. One or two injuries to our team could ruin any momentum we start to gain. I do t think whether or not we are in Europe will change this. I only see the benefits of the money and status from a good run that will help to strengthen the squad over the next couple of windows.

51 minutes ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

I think the outcome of Thursday's match could have a big say in our performance on the Sunday. Win and tiredness will not be an issue, lose and go out, and it could be.

This all day long. A run of positive results and the games can't come quick enough.

15 minutes ago, backup said:

I didn’t say I would settle for anything.

Losing next Sunday is not what any bear wants . We would be one OF game down with 3 to play .

For me . It's important but hardly pivotal . As long as we perform like we have been doing since start of season .

We are going to improve massively as the season goes on . 100% confident of that .

I definitely don't see them running away with it this season .  We will be there or thereabouts this season . No matter what happens next Sunday

4 minutes ago, Muz333 said:

If I’m being honest with myself I thought we wouldn’t challenge under Gerrard until next season and this season was more about instilling some fight and defensive quality into the team. Admittedly after the start we had I got greedy and thought we might win the league as well. Given the choice though I’d take a close second in the league this season, a cup and a decent European run to fund the real challenge next season.

Dont get me wrong though, I think celtic are on the decline and I haven’t given up the league this season. However I’m acutely aware of the fact we lack depth and quality attacking players. One or two injuries to our team could ruin any momentum we start to gain. I do t think whether or not we are in Europe will change this. I only see the benefits of the money and status from a good run that will help to strengthen the squad over the next couple of windows.

A good bit of common sense coming on the scene. Good post.

2 hours ago, 6superbarry6 said:

The squad we have isn’t capable of mounting a title challenge we need the Europa league money to free up some cash for another couple of quality additions

100% we bed another few mid players imo Halliday played well yesterday but we need better. 

9 minutes ago, Muz333 said:

The beggars seem to have problems at this moment . There is no way they will make the same mistake next season . They will invest .

This season is by far away our best chance of winning the league .Their defence is a bomb scare . Much worse than ours on a bad day I feel .

It could have been last year as they were not convincing and we fucked it up appointing Pedro and Murty ffs.

Without getting ahead of ourselves . I truly believe we can do it this season and we should never be accepting finishing second is good enough . Never

2 hours ago, cr3_bear said:

In their Seville season and our Manchester season Both teams lost the title on the last day . It was not really like either run had a major negative effect on the teams domestic season . Both teams managed to remain in the title race whilst progressing in Europe. We burned out obviously towards the end due to a shocking fixture list. 

I get the point you’re making, but we definitely win the league if we don’t have that UEFA Cup run.

21 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

The beggars seem to have problems at this moment . There is no way they will make the same mistake next season . They will invest .

They definitely have problems at the moment as the cracks are forming. I still think we have a chance this season but I would feel a lot more confident if we could fork out that little extra on some depth in defence and some quality attacking players, especially with Murphy injured. Sadly I think we will have to wait until January until we bolster our attack.

As for next season, I genuinely think we are finally starting to build a solid foundation and I fully expect our team to stroll it next season. While they will invest if they aren't in the Champions League group stages I actually expect them to weaken overall as they try to cut down on player wages. I just hope they don't invest in a new manager next season as I think Brendan is going to get continuously worse as Gerrard puts pressure on him.

We got ro

3 hours ago, cr3_bear said:

In their Seville season and our Manchester season Both teams lost the title on the last day . We burned out obviously towards the end due to a shocking fixture list. 

We got royally shafted with our fixture list. No wonder 8 games in 23 days was it?

They didn't win the league that year, the SPL handed them it.

1 hour ago, eejay the dj said:

This season is by far away our best chance of winning the league .Their defence is a bomb scare . Much worse than ours on a bad day I feel .

It could have been last year as they were not convincing and we fucked it up appointing Pedro and Murty ffs.

Without getting ahead of ourselves . I truly believe we can do it this season and we should never be accepting finishing second is good enough . Never

Yip, they bastards are definitely there for the taking, whether it's arrogance, or the fact they genuinely can't afford it, they seem determined not to strengthen, we were piss poor yesterday, especially in defence, and that's where the big improvement has been, it's a blip, an off day, still think this could be our year. 

2 hours ago, backup said:

This coming Sunday is the benchmark for all and this season, SG needs to show he has the better of rogers and we are better than them, failure to do so will be a most unwelcome turn of events after being confident last week of a result against them.

“I haven’t thought about the Old Firm,” said Gerrard. “I can honestly say to you, I am not obsessed about celtic. I don’t know how many times I need to say it. I am obsessed with being successful as the Rangers manager. I could lose every Old Firm game I go into and still win the league. So why should I be obsessed with celtic?”

2 hours ago, backup said:

Anything less than a point will be received very badly here by many of us, but not you perhaps.

Of course it will be gutting to lose to them. But we lost the last two by a fucking rugby score so, speaking for myself, if we do ourselves proud and lose by a tight margin I'll be pragmatic enough to see the progress. And much as they'll cream themselves to get the victory they will also know that times are changing and we're coming for them.

1 hour ago, Creampuff said:

I get the point you’re making, but we definitely win the league if we don’t have that UEFA Cup run.

That is Probably true . However I don't think I would swap the league for the UEFA cup run we experienced either. I also think if the SPL and SFA done the decent thing and gave us a more manageable fixture list then the title would still  have been won that year. 

At least a draw needed to prove we are competing. It's all about psychology in our game, they've been in a panic since Gerrard has been signing a few players, take something away from the phiggery and their old inferiority complex will kick into them in spades.