55 - When's it happening?

Steven Gerrard has just said that this victory represents the rebirth of our great club. He has just said that 9 men gave "body and soul" to the cause today and thus showed what it means to be a Ranger.

Fuck me, that's inspiring stuff for any Bear to hear!

I did a thread back in May immediately after Gerrard was appointed. The thread asked simply: What would you realistically take?

This is asking the same thing just for interest and to gauge confidence levels.

My own view back in May was that I'd be happy with stopping their 10 in a row. I thought 8 was probably nailed on and 9 overwhelmingly likely. And as far as THIS season went, I just didn't see us reaching the groups in Europe and I thought we only had an outside chance of picking up a domestic cup.

I wasn't being defeatist. It felt to me like our squad at the end of last season was no better than when McCoist left to tend to his junipers. ???

Warburton was a pretender, Pedro had absolutely no idea, and the others were filling in to the best of their ability under difficult circumstances (fair play Stuart McCall!)

So anyway, what's realistic now? Now that we have actually experienced what it's like having Steven Gerrard - international icon of the sport - as the Rangers manager. Now that we have seen who he has let go and who he has brought in. Now that we have seen how he sets them up to play and how they respond. And not forgetting... now that we have seen his obvious pride and passion representing The Rangers FC!

Personally, I've been humbled by our resurrection so far this season. Our team has flaws (the Morelos temper and the Tav defending are my main worries at present) but by Christ are we a massive leap forward from what I thought possible. There is true quality in the spine of our team for the first time since... well, let's just say before the dark days.

We will have more idea as the season progresses but, for me as I write this, I think we have an outside chance of 55 THIS season - maybe a 25% chance (could increase after Sunday though!). And maybe a 30-40% chance of winning one of the cups. I don't think we'll get out the groups in Europe tbh but you never know.

With some decent momentum and the further transfer windows to strengthen the squad, I reckon we might just go into next season almost 50:50 for the title and odds on for a cup. Europe wise, getting out the groups of Europa should be viable [always a chance we could start in the Champions League of course!]

The point is, after all the false dawns, I feel better tonight than I have in FUCKING AGES.

I am DARING TO DREAM AGAIN that 55 will stop 10 in a row.

[Agree or disagree? What would you realistically be happy with over next 2-3 seasons?]

Lets not get carried away, placing unrealistic expectation on the Gaffer and the team will only lead to creating a feeling of disappointment when we need to build positivity and a momentum

I dont see it as realistic this season, I think we can close the gap and have clear blue water between us and 3rd place, and hopefully win a cup, it might have been 9 points in the last season but reality is they could afford to lie down to hivs and the sheep in the last few weeks

if we can maintain the same level of spending next summer and add a couple of players of higher quality and mibbe pick up a player or two in January, Its realistic to look at giving the scum a real challenge next season,,  imo we're still short of both quality and quantity in certain positions, a season of SG honing his skills and players properly settled and some quality added and 55 can be a reality next season.

All that said, you never know...

17 minutes ago, MattyBlue said:

All I know is at the end of this season I’ll be taking a portrait of SG holding the SPL title above his head to a tattoo artist and getting it on the inside of my forearm ??

Same mate, genuinely getting a Gerrard Portrait if he wins us 55, to think I really disliked the guy 2/3 years ago.:lol:

1 minute ago, Siwel said:

Same mate, genuinely getting a Gerrard Portrait if he wins us 55, to think I really disliked the guy 2/3 years ago.:lol:

Ha I can imagine tbf! I haven’t had a reason to feel anything towards him until he took over us. And it’s absolutely fucking insane how much I love the guy, literally non stop telling my Mrs how much I love him and he’s the greatest thing since sliced bread !

Do you all seriously believe that the gaffer will be happy with second place this season - not a fucking chance. This guy smells blood and like the winner that he is will go for the jugular. Too many have fallen for the pish spouted by the fawning  media up here - they are no great shakes and they’re clearly under financial pressure with their massive wage bill to address and some loans due for repayment in the near future. A league and cup double for me...