****The Official Villareal v's Rangers match thread****

LegendofCoop

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, soulboy said:

1 nil away from home against the team bottom of the league

But still, the bottom teams squad is worth nearly £80 Million quid. They've got a few £6 million rated players, one at £7 million and another rated £13 million. They play in a far better league too. 

Im all for bravado and shit but we'll be lucky to get a 0-0 here.

3 minutes ago, BillySastard said:

But still, the bottom teams squad is worth nearly £80 Million quid. They've got a few £6 million rated players, one at £7 million and another rated £13 million. They play in a far better league too. 

80 million or not they are still bottom of the league with no wins 

6 minutes ago, BillySastard said:

The amount of money spent does not raise the ability of the player purchased, the money spent is spiralling the ability of the player is not.

People said we never had a chance against Maribor either.

Morelos will be a big loss for us tbh, his hold up play would be ideal in a game like this to give us an out ball, hopefully Lafferty works just as hard. Villarreal are favourites obviously, but that could go in our favour because all the pressure is on them.  

I'm going 1 nil to us, fuck it.

29 minutes ago, BillySastard said:

Pretty much as it was in 2006 when we drew with them twice. Riquelme and Forlan were probably worth more than our whole first team was back then.

2 hours ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Too many defeatists on here fs it's only Villareal we're playing not fucking Barca, we're more than capable of going there on Thursday and turning them over! 

Not being defeatist but the conviction in your post and the putting down of lots of other posters; just wondered, based on what are we more than capable of going there and beating them?

8 minutes ago, bluchoo said:

Not being defeatist but the conviction in your post and the putting down of lots of other posters; just wondered, based on what are we more than capable of going there and beating them?

7 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Too many on here are either underrating Villarreal or overrating us. We've won two games away from home all season in 8 but are capable of turning a far superior side over? A point away would be a bonus!

I would like to thank both of you's for participating in my best fishing trip in a while, appreciated fellas

Best I can see is a draw, it's yet another step up for us again, through the divisions and now into Europa League, just do our best, I'm sure we will get a chance or two maybe from set play so need to be clinical.

Will be a test no matter what, everyone going over enjoy it whatever the outcome. :UK:

Mental, but brilliant, that nobody (us included) thought we had a chance of making the groups (with many doubting we’d get past Shkupi) and now some fans expect us to pump Villarreal away. Personally, I’d be ecstatic with four points in total against them, so think a 0-0bon Thursday will do us fine.

Villarreal hitman Carlos Bacca insists Rangers will be severely weakened in their Europa League tie in Spain this week because international team mate Alfredo Morelos is suspended.

Steven Gerrard takes his team to El Madrigal on Thursday for the opening game in the group stage but will be without newly-capped Colombian striker Morelos, as well as Jon Flanagan after the pair went sent off in Russia against FC Ufa.

Villarreal laboured to their first win of the season yesterday in La Liga after a 1-0 victory against Madrid minnows Leganes thanks to a goal from sub Bacca, who once cost AC Milan £28 million.

Morelos and Bacca play together for the South American side and he’s convinced the Ibrox top scorers’s absence on Thursday is a massive loss for the Scots.

Bacca said: “Morelos is a really good young player. I spoke to him during the international break and he told me he had been sent off in the last round so he wouldn’t play against us.

“He was very disappointed about it but it’s good for us because he’s a dangerous player. “He did well when he came on in the international against Venezuela – he got a chance to score immediately. Unfortunately he didn’t take it, but he showed he knows how to get into the right position up front.

“It’s a pity for him but it’s good for us that he will be missing. He’s a strong boy and he would be a tough opponent so it’s lucky for us he won’t play.”

And Bacca believes Morelos is the future of Colombian football.

He pointed out: “I’m 32 and so is Radamel Falcao so Colombia has to bring in younger players for the future. If Alfredo continues to do what he’s been doing in a strong league he’ll be the future for us.

“When we play in El Madrigal we know we have to fight on behalf of everyone and our results haven’t been good. But the supporters will be happy with our result today and it’s a big boost for us.

“Our confidence hasn’t been high but a win changes everything. It moves us up the table but the important thing is that it gives us a boost before a big European game.

“We want to take that into the Europa League. It’s an important competition for the club and Villarreal have done well in European competitions before. The aim for us is to make progress in the competition.”

Villarreal boss Javier Calleja expects a huge test from Gerrard’s men this week and believes tough-tackling Leganes handed them the perfect preparation.

He said: “Rangers are a very strong team, but the game against Leganes was the ideal preparation. It was the perfect game for us to have before the Europa League.

“Leganes are an aggressive team I think everyone could see that. We had to win a battle against them to get our victory and I expect the Scottish team to be the same.

“Rangers have power in all positions and if we are to win the game on Thursday we will have to be just as strong as them.

“I played against Rangers in March 2006 when we drew 1-1 against them and knocked them out of the competition on away goals, but the teams and the game is totally different now.

“Rangers have had good preparation for the game – they have had good results in the competition already and they will be tough opponents in the group.

“I have not studied them closely but we will focus on them in the coming days. But it will be good to go into the match against them having got our league season properly started.

“The games so far have been difficult but we battled well today and could have won by more goals than we did.

“We will be ready for Rangers when they come and we hope to get the group stage off to a successful start.”

13 minutes ago, rangersross said:

Mental, but brilliant, that nobody (us included) thought we had a chance of making the groups (with many doubting we’d get past Shkupi) and now some fans expect us to pump Villarreal away. Personally, I’d be ecstatic with four points in total against them, so think a 0-0bon Thursday will do us fine.

Cliche as it is. It's all about the home games in the group stages. A point on Thursday I'd also be happy with.  

If we're sitting on 7 points from 9 by the time we go to Russia for match 4. We'll be in a strong spot to secure last 16. 

14 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

Villarreal hitman Carlos Bacca insists Rangers will be severely weakened in their Europa League tie in Spain this week because international team mate Alfredo Morelos is suspended.

Steven Gerrard takes his team to El Madrigal on Thursday for the opening game in the group stage but will be without newly-capped Colombian striker Morelos, as well as Jon Flanagan after the pair went sent off in Russia against FC Ufa.

Villarreal laboured to their first win of the season yesterday in La Liga after a 1-0 victory against Madrid minnows Leganes thanks to a goal from sub Bacca, who once cost AC Milan £28 million.

Morelos and Bacca play together for the South American side and he’s convinced the Ibrox top scorers’s absence on Thursday is a massive loss for the Scots.

Bacca said: “Morelos is a really good young player. I spoke to him during the international break and he told me he had been sent off in the last round so he wouldn’t play against us.

“He was very disappointed about it but it’s good for us because he’s a dangerous player. “He did well when he came on in the international against Venezuela – he got a chance to score immediately. Unfortunately he didn’t take it, but he showed he knows how to get into the right position up front.

“It’s a pity for him but it’s good for us that he will be missing. He’s a strong boy and he would be a tough opponent so it’s lucky for us he won’t play.”

And Bacca believes Morelos is the future of Colombian football.

He pointed out: “I’m 32 and so is Radamel Falcao so Colombia has to bring in younger players for the future. If Alfredo continues to do what he’s been doing in a strong league he’ll be the future for us.

“When we play in El Madrigal we know we have to fight on behalf of everyone and our results haven’t been good. But the supporters will be happy with our result today and it’s a big boost for us.

“Our confidence hasn’t been high but a win changes everything. It moves us up the table but the important thing is that it gives us a boost before a big European game.

“We want to take that into the Europa League. It’s an important competition for the club and Villarreal have done well in European competitions before. The aim for us is to make progress in the competition.”

Villarreal boss Javier Calleja expects a huge test from Gerrard’s men this week and believes tough-tackling Leganes handed them the perfect preparation.

He said: “Rangers are a very strong team, but the game against Leganes was the ideal preparation. It was the perfect game for us to have before the Europa League.

“Leganes are an aggressive team I think everyone could see that. We had to win a battle against them to get our victory and I expect the Scottish team to be the same.

“Rangers have power in all positions and if we are to win the game on Thursday we will have to be just as strong as them.

“I played against Rangers in March 2006 when we drew 1-1 against them and knocked them out of the competition on away goals, but the teams and the game is totally different now.

“Rangers have had good preparation for the game – they have had good results in the competition already and they will be tough opponents in the group.

“I have not studied them closely but we will focus on them in the coming days. But it will be good to go into the match against them having got our league season properly started.

“The games so far have been difficult but we battled well today and could have won by more goals than we did.

“We will be ready for Rangers when they come and we hope to get the group stage off to a successful start.”

BA says he’s shite but so Bacca is wrong

2 hours ago, rangersross said:

I think we'd be doing well to take three points from those games, to be honest. They've had a poor start to the season - so have we, domestically - but they're still a good side. 

I don't expect us to make the knockout stage, but I do think it could be a tight group with little between second and fourth. Fully expect Villareal to top the group though. 

14 minutes ago, Aubie92 said:

I think we'd be doing well to take three points from those games, to be honest. They've had a poor start to the season - so have we, domestically - but they're still a good side. 

I don't expect us to make the knockout stage, but I do think it could be a tight group with little between second and fourth. Fully expect Villareal to top the group though. 

We'd be doing well to take a point from the 2 games.

Archived