Our Game in Vienna

Edmiston Drive

ED to this day a lot of people reckon that would have been our year to win the European cup, I think we lost 3-2 to Inter in the quarters, Inter would go on to lift the trophy but many people felt that we would of beat Inter with Baxter in the side.

19 minutes ago, Edmiston Drive said:

This game will bring back  memories of 1964 when we faced the return game  leading 1-0

comfortably leading 0-2  agg. 0-3  on a cold night that  showed Jim Baxter at his best when with  minutes tae go their fullback broke Jim's leg because he has tormenting them all night with his superb skills.

So a wee thought  of this great Ranger should be given at game end 

??????????

?

If he had just given the ball to Davie Wilson to run down the clock (as he confirms in an interview many years later) he would have been playing in the side against Inter .... who knows how it would have turned out .... maybe us winning the trophy instead of them.

:UK:

8 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

?

If he had just given the ball to Davie Wilson to run down the clock (as he confirms in an interview many years later) he would have been playing in the side against Inter .... who knows how it would have turned out .... maybe us winning the trophy instead of them.

Spot on Bud, you also have tae think about our  ECWC final v Bayern. Jim would have been in his element that night as we could/ should  have won that game

Jim would have strolled it like Wembley  in 67

Have tae say Dave Smith was a tremendous  replacement for Jim

11 minutes ago, Spliffy said:

The season before we were meant to be decent as well, except got hammered off Real Madrid in the very first round...was real luck of the draw back then. Funnily enough, the taigs only got a difficult team once they got to the final when they won it.

Its incredibly frustrating, if Baxter played against Inter and we lost then there would never be a feeling of what if. Similar to Mols' injury against Bayern. For the club that we are, we have under achieved in Europe, but we've also had a lot of bad luck to contend with. In my eyes anyway. Can add Marseille cheating in 93 as well.

I was at the Real game with my dad re the return game 6-0  Scott Symon played the youngest forward line for a British team in Europe and stands tae this day 

Henderson,Willoughby,Forrest,Big  Dandy, Craig Watson only Big Dandy was a bought player

even better when they got back after school  Bella Primary we were invited up by Davie Marshalls eldest son (a classmate" and got tae try on Puskas's top that he gave tae Alex

memories  juke box full of them 

17 minutes ago, Spliffy said:

The season before we were meant to be decent as well, except got hammered off Real Madrid in the very first round...was real luck of the draw back then. Funnily enough, the taigs only got a difficult team once they got to the final when they won it.

Its incredibly frustrating, if Baxter played against Inter and we lost then there would never be a feeling of what if. Similar to Mols' injury against Bayern. For the club that we are, we have under achieved in Europe, but we've also had a lot of bad luck to contend with. In my eyes anyway. Can add Marseille cheating in 93 as well.

Great post bud and that Inter team was poor in relation with the great one we played 

29 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

ED to this day a lot of people reckon that would have been our year to win the European cup, I think we lost 3-2 to Inter in the quarters, Inter would go on to lift the trophy but many people felt that we would of beat Inter with Baxter in the side.

Spot on bud Jim Forrest was the first player tae score against them in San Siro  in Eouro game and scored in the return 

Big Dandy snacked the crossbar that night 

evening citizen before the game headline was 1-2-3  Terra Herrera who also managed tge great Real Madrid team not sur if against us 

23 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

?

Bobby Hume was one of many superb players we had in the reserves back in the 60s 

1 minute ago, Edmiston Drive said:

Spot on bud Jim Forrest was the first player tae score against them in San Siro  in Eouro game and scored in the return 

Big Dandy snacked the crossbar that night 

evening citizen before the game headline was 1-2-3  Terra Herrera who also managed tge great Real Madrid team not sur if against us 

Herrera managed Barcelona.

1 minute ago, McEwan's Lager said:

After Rangers I think my mastermind subject would be the history of the European Cup ? 

Superb 

I have many memories of the big European nights at Ibrox from he early 60s when a schoolboy 

Lucky that I lived just down off Gower Street and  school across  from the Stadium  

Don't know who old you are but back then European Games  seemed a bigger deal as not the TV coverage you get nowadays but everyone  knew the stars 

66 walking up  the Gower Hill tae Hampden tae see Pele v Scotland place was jam packed 

Just now, Edmiston Drive said:

Superb 

I have many memories of the big European nights at Ibrox from he early 60s when a schoolboy 

Lucky that I lived just down off Gower Street and  school across  from the Stadium  

Don't know who old you are but back then European Games  seemed a bigger deal as not the TV coverage you get nowadays but everyone  knew the stars 

66 walking up  the Gower Hill tae Hampden tae see Pele v Scotland place was jam packed 

I’m in my late 20s ? 

But I think even since when I was a kid the dramatic sense of the Champions League has dwindled.

Was only talking to a guy in work today about how I loved as a kid watching Bayern on TV in the 1998-2002 period.

I think the magic of the competiton has gone, especially now it’s the same teams year on year.

10 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

After Rangers I think my mastermind subject would be the history of the European Cup ? 

Back in 68-69 we played DWS Amsterdam in Fair Cities Cup sure I read that Dick Adv played for them against us

we  lost tae NUFC in the semis that is another special game I will never forget 

1 minute ago, Edmiston Drive said:

Back in 68-69 we played DWS Amsterdam in Fair Cities Cup sure I read that Dick Adv played for them against us

we  lost tae NUFC in the semis that is another special game I will never forget 

I own both the home and away programmes for that tie.

I’ll have a look when I get home.

Rob Rensenbrink the great Dutch winger played for DWS too I’m sure.

4 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I’m in my late 20s ? 

But I think even since when I was a kid the dramatic sense of the Champions League has dwindled.

Was only talking to a guy in work today about how I loved as a kid watching Bayern on TV in the 1998-2002 period.

I think the magic of the competiton has gone, especially now it’s the same teams year on year.

100% with you on that  comment  Bud 

1 hour ago, Edmiston Drive said:

100% with you on that  comment  Bud 

The Champions League is a joke now, the sooner they make it an elite invite only tournament for the top 6 nations the better.

The current format where they allow half a dozen whipping boys in from smaller nations is all wrong. Thank fuck the rhattlers didn't get there this year as there was £40m up for grabs.

Dishing out that sort of cash to teams for getting pumped is nonsense especially as it gives one team 10 times the money they can get for winning their leagues and it really can fuck up domestic leagues.

The Europa League is harder to win than the European Cup was when that lot won it - sour grapes ? maybe but true nonetheless We played 8 games just to qualify - they were in the final after 8 games. For a team from Scotland to win the Europa League we'd need to play 23 games ffs.

12 minutes ago, the cry was no said:

The Champions League is a joke now, the sooner they make it an elite invite only tournament for the top 6 nations the better.

The current format where they allow half a dozen whipping boys in from smaller nations is all wrong. Thank fuck the rhattlers didn't get there this year as there was £40m up for grabs.

Dishing out that sort of cash to teams for getting pumped is nonsense especially as it gives one team 10 times the money they can get for winning their leagues and it really can fuck up domestic leagues.

The Europa League is harder to win than the European Cup was when that lot won it - sour grapes ? maybe but true nonetheless We played 8 games just to qualify - they were in the final after 8 games. For a team from Scotland to win the Europa League we'd need to play 23 games ffs.

Great post Bud

42 minutes ago, Spliffy said:

Great stories ED, makes the forum richer reading them.

The Forum has a fabulous age range and hearing the different stories  from this spread re ages make the forum head and shoulders above any other one