Vienna at Ibrox

scottyc06

On 21/09/2018 at 19:51, Copland bear said:

Did you know they were the first European team to play at Ibrox.    Did the tour today and thats what they said. 

From Wikipedia:

"The club's first ever match against European opponents, however, was a friendly match against Austrian side First Vienna in the 1903–04 season during a tour of Austria and Czechoslovakia which resulted in six victories from six matches. They won the match 7–2.

The club's first competitive match was a European Cup second-round match against Nice.

The match ended in a 2–1 home victory for Rangers..".

I can't find any record of Rapid Vienna being our first home match against European opposition.

Anyone maybe clarify this?

15 hours ago, Callum_Doon said:

From Wikipedia:

"The club's first ever match against European opponents, however, was a friendly match against Austrian side First Vienna in the 1903–04 season during a tour of Austria and Czechoslovakia which resulted in six victories from six matches. They won the match 7–2.

The club's first competitive match was a European Cup second-round match against Nice.

The match ended in a 2–1 home victory for Rangers..".

I can't find any record of Rapid Vienna being our first home match against European opposition.

Anyone maybe clarify this?

24th oct 1956. European Champions' cup

Rangers 2 v 1 Nice. Hubbard and Simpson scored. We lost the away leg 2-1 and lost a decider game in neutral Paris 3-1 the following month.

In season 1903/04 we played four games in Vienna and two in Prague. Dates are unknown, so not sure which one came first. 

29 minutes ago, East Enclosure Row N said:

24th oct 1956. European Champions' cup

Rangers 2 v 1 Nice. Hubbard and Simpson scored. We lost the away leg 2-1 and lost a decider game in neutral Paris 3-1 the following month.

In season 1903/04 we played four games in Vienna and two in Prague. Dates are unknown, so not sure which one came first. 

That was our first competitive home game against European opposition, however it does look like our first home game against a European team was indeed a friendly against SK Rapid Vienna.

From Don54's aforementioned reply in another topic:

"Not saying it was first but...

In the early 1930s, a reported 56,000 crammed into Ibrox – the highest attendance that season – to watch Rangers secure a respectable 3-3 draw with SK Rapid Vienna in a mid-season friendly encounter. The Austrians were touring the United Kingdom and Glasgow was their first port of call. Rapid went on to face Liverpool, winning 5-2, before a trip to London to take on Queen’s Park Rangers".

9 minutes ago, JC10 said:

Currently looking like this won't be sold out

Whilst the stadium plan doesn't look great when you drill in each section only has a handful of unsold seats so probably only 2/3k unsold with 6 days to go. Will be sold out I think. Plus this is probably the lesser of the 3 ties in terms of glamour

22 minutes ago, 50ShadesofBlue said:

Payday today...may see an uptick in sales

True, plus I've just seen from the facebook page that it's only today that individual tickets have gone on sale. 

22 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

Whilst the stadium plan doesn't look great when you drill in each section only has a handful of unsold seats so probably only 2/3k unsold with 6 days to go. Will be sold out I think. Plus this is probably the lesser of the 3 ties in terms of glamour

A fair amount in the club deck left, a few thousand is a lot to shift in less than a week for a midweek game. As above though the fact it's payday and individual tickets only went on sale today you're probably right.

I think the prices are too high. I can't make all 3 games so didn't go for the package. The single game price at 40 quid is about 10 quid too expensive. Its at a level where people will still go but will feel a bit ripped off. A bit like the strips actually. 60 quid is about a tenner too much but as we have been starved we will pay it. 

I think the board have taken advantage slightly to be honest 

1 minute ago, trueblueal said:

I think the prices are too high. I can't make all 3 games so didn't go for the package. The single game price at 40 quid is about 10 quid too expensive. Its at a level where people will still go but will feel a bit ripped off. A bit like the strips actually. 60 quid is about a tenner too much but as we have been starved we will pay it. 

I think the board have taken advantage slightly to be honest 

Cost of modern fitbaw now. EPL teams sell "Authentic" shirts for £100 and standard replicas for £55/60. 

Agree about the ticket pricing though, feel £40 is taking the piss a little. 

2 minutes ago, RosscoRFC87 said:

£42 on the site now?

That’s just too steep in my opinion..

dunno if I can actually justify that with the amount I’m spending on football right now,

sad times!

Aye it is steep but I knew not taking the package I'd be forking out a bit for 1 or 2 tickets 

18 minutes ago, Dan Deacon said:

Aye it is steep but I knew not taking the package I'd be forking out a bit for 1 or 2 tickets 

Well, I thought the package was £120 when I went to buy it showing in the basket plus the admin fees so is there actually any incentive to buy the package (like saving a few quid) because it literally just looks like they’re the same = a straight £40/41 a time - too much = / 

paid £31 for Hearts next week so obviously this competition is a step up, just the way it’s going unfortunately it seems ? 

2 minutes ago, RosscoRFC87 said:

Well, the package is £120 plus the admin fees so is there actually any incentive to buy the package (like saving a few quid) because it literally just looks like they’re the same = a straight £40/41 a time - too much = / 

paid £31 for Hearts next week so obviously this competition is a step up, just the way it’s going unfortunately it seems ? 

Can't mind what the ST holder package was tbh. Just assumed it was less than what I'll be paying individually

6 minutes ago, RosscoRFC87 said:

Well, the package is £120 plus the admin fees so is there actually any incentive to buy the package (like saving a few quid) because it literally just looks like they’re the same = a straight £40/41 a time - too much = / 

Mate I don't mean this in a cheeky way but zebra do a 10 month payment plan for a season book. You'd be cheaper doing that and it would only.cost you around 46 quid a month. So you'd sometimes have 3 games at home for 15 quid more than you paid for.hearts at home