Rangers Football Club Share From 1908 - Rangers History

WeeJacksonRFC

WNice mate, seen a few. Never in real life, except in Ibrox (actually inside the building) 

Unfortunately, their genuine cash value is nill, due to reasons we all know. Regardless of that, since this not a English club worth billions, that makes them sellable for what they should be, history. So should hopefully find a good home. 

I've personally had better success selling Rangers memorabilia on e-bay. 

All the best. 

Nice that it is framed and well presented, and in great condition.

You could also try a few of the Rangers pubs  and maybe our club or the football museum would be interested. Maybe get an estimate. 

Any decent provenance or history to go with it ? Can add to value sometimes. 

2 hours ago, tannerall said:

I heard about that one. When I was in touch with club historian David Mason in 2014 I can provide the emails. He appraised it roughly 1400 Pounds and mentioned that value could go up with years. It also has a bit more value behind it for how many shares it was for and the fact it's Sir John Ure Primorse and not James Walker. I really do appreciate you posting that tho ? nice to see other shares. Some days before a game I will have a look at it just to get that feeling. 

2 hours ago, Jack The Flipper said:

Wrong forum mate, Rangers are deed, this is a the sevco forum.

I don't know fella we looked pretty alive in Spain to me !! ?

2 hours ago, Gman36 said:

Maybe talk to the club about it too? Amazing piece deserves a proper home. 

I did back in 2014 and had it appraised by club historian. he did mention they have several of them in the club. back in 2014 some one mentioned maybe contacting the Scottish football museum- I do love it tho two massive people in our beautiful history makes you wonder was it issued up stairs in the managers office all those years ago. 

• 2 years later...
On 21/09/2018 at 22:32, WeeJacksonRFC said:

Hi there fellow Bears!

I've been on this site for years but don't post much these days.

Reason for my post today is I would love to show off but also hopefully find a new home for this wonderful piece Rangers History.

I have a framed Rangers Football Club Share Certificate from 1908.

It is for 25 Ordinary Shares in the Name of Sir John Ure Primrose 

Sir John Ure Primrose DL LLD (1847–1924) was a Scottish merchant who served as Lord Provost of Glasgow from 1902 to 1905 and as Chairman of Rangers Football Club from 1912 to 1923. He was also Chairman of the Clyde Navigation Trust.

It is signed by Our then Chairman/Manager William Wilton 

and directors David Lawson and James (J.) Walker

MORE INFO 

A bit of background if I recall correctly. When Rangers incorporated on 24 July 1899, £12,000 of shares were issued which was needed to fund the move to Ibrox. The shares issued were:

600 Proprietary shares of £5 each

9,000 Ordinary shares of £1 each

i.e. (600 x £5) + (9,000 x £1) = £12,000

As there were only 600 Proprietary shares, these are more rare than the Ordinary shares of which there were 9,000.

After incorporation, shares could be bought and sold. When this happened, the share certificate would be returned to the club for cancellation and a new share certificate issued in the new owner's name. This is what seems to have happened here - Sir John Ure Primrose bought 25 Ordinary shares and a new share certificate was issued to him in 1908. The club may well have full records showing all sales/purchases from 1899 and so be able to tell from whom SJUP bought them.

Although it is a certificate for the more common Ordinary shares, your certificate is interesting for a few reasons. Firstly it is for 25 shares - I don't think I have seen one before for more than 1 share, so that makes it a little more rare. Also, the certificate was issued to Sir John Ure Primrose who was our President/Chairman which makes it more directly relevant to the history of the club.

The share certificate was signed by William Wilton who in 1908 was, of course, our first manager, as well as being the club secretary.

Well guys I am deciding to part with this item to invest in my future. 

I am looking for genuine offers. Or if any one knows some one who may be interested in this item please feel free to put us in touch. 

I would love it to go to a Proper Rangers fan. I also won't sell it unless the deal is rite for all parties. 

Shipping will need to be insured and the best available. To protect buyer and seller. 

I appreciate your time and effort in helping. 

WATP! 

IMG_3520.JPG

IMG_3517.MOV

IMG_3519.JPG

IMG_3517.JPG

IMG_3513.JPG

IMG_3515.JPG

Did you ever manage to punt these mate?

On 22/09/2018 at 21:56, WeeJacksonRFC said:

I heard about that one. When I was in touch with club historian David Mason in 2014 I can provide the emails. He appraised it roughly 1400 Pounds and mentioned that value could go up with years. It also has a bit more value behind it for how many shares it was for and the fact it's Sir John Ure Primorse and not James Walker. I really do appreciate you posting that tho ? nice to see other shares. Some days before a game I will have a look at it just to get that feeling. 

@MorelosRangers :thumbup: