******The Official Rangers vs Ayr United thread******

GOAT

So remind me why we should be worried about Ayr United? Yeah they’re doing good in the championship but we seen ourselfs that being good in the Championship doesn’t translate to being good vs SPL teams, nust look when we went on a streak of 13 games in the championship and got beat by St Johnstone 1-3 at ibrox.

The most they’ve done is beat dundee 0-3 who went down to 9 men at one point. The same Dundee we beat 0-4 a few weeks ago. 

The games a perfect time to test players returning from injury against a compotent team and give a bit of squad rotation. If things ever get touch n go, we’ve got more than enough quality to call on from the bench. 

• Replies 957
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, RFCRobertson said:

So remind me why we should be worried about Ayr United? Yeah they’re doing good in the championship but we seen ourselfs that being good in the Championship doesn’t translate to being good vs SPL teams, nust look when we went on a streak of 13 games in the championship and got beat by St Johnstone 1-3 at ibrox.

The most they’ve done is beat dundee 0-3 who went down to 9 men at one point. The same Dundee we beat 0-4 a few weeks ago. 

The games a perfect time to test players returning from injury against a compotent team and give a bit of squad rotation. If things ever get touch n go, we’ve got more than enough quality to call on from the bench. 

Wouldn't say worried, but it's just hoping no complacency sets in, and that ringing in a few changes doesn't throw things off balance.

I'm thinking another high scoring win in all honesty, hopefully 4/5-0. Think Gerrard will make sure no one gets complacent and will want them to go out and dominate, keep momentum going, and anyone who starts that wouldn't usually will be looking to impress. But can see why others may be thinking a bit more cautiously.

1 minute ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Could understand to an extent people not wanting to make numerous changes if this fixture was away, however if we can't defeat Ayr at home with a starting 11 of below, then there's a real issue.

Fod

Flangan Worrall McCrorie Wallace

Halliday Dorrans Ejaria

Kent Sadiq Middleton

That gives me the fear.

55 minutes ago, RFCRobertson said:

So remind me why we should be worried about Ayr United?

We shouldn't be worried, but the team shouldn't be cavalier as Shankland will be a goal threat if we allow them chances. I'd say we need the same attitude and approach as we'd adopt against teams like Dundee and St. Mirren; don't assume the game is won, treat them with enough respect to know you can't give them time and space but otherwise play to our own strengths. 

One of our issues over the last few years is dropping the intensity against teams that we should beat, especially at home. If you want to win trophies, you should approach every game expecting to have to work for the win. Derbies are different as, with the right team, they should take care of themselves; players should be able to give it their all against the likes of Dundee and St. Johnstone, but still be able to raise their game against celtic. (We didn't at Parkhead, I know, but we'll see what happens at Ibrox.) 

1 minute ago, Rangers_no1 said:

I fail to see any reason why that gives you the fear bar maybe Sadiq? 

Plenty reasons.

Keeper doesn't really know front 4 in front of him. 2 CHs haven't played together. Tavs offensive play can't be replicated by Flanagan. Wallace hasn't played 1st team football in donkeys. Halliday isn't a right midfielder. Ejaria coming back from injury. Sadiq has offered nothing to date. Dorrans just back from injury is only experienced mid/forward player, apart from out of position Haliday. No one doing the holding role. Key goalscorers removed from team.

One or two of those factors shouldn't cause huge issue.Doing them all at once from the start for me would be madness.

Get the game won then make changes not this way round, even against Ayr.

Just now, Rangers_no1 said:

@graeme_4

Will ask you the same question, why does that 11 give you the fear? You just posted a thread saying you believe we can win the league, yet a team that has many players who are going to play a big part in the league over the season give you the fear against Ayr at home?  

Surely if that team gives you the fear, you shouldn't be so confident of winning the league with such squad players? Doesn't make any sense to me!

Ooft

8 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

First off that middle 3 posted was not set up to play in that way, thought it would be pretty obvious Halliday would be holding, Dorrans in front and Ejaria as AM. 

Secondly Worrall and Goldson had never played together AWAY TO VILLARREAL and did a job, are you seriously concerned of those 2 CBS at home to Ayr United?!

Flanagan has been steady against far better opposition. Dorrans has played around 40 minutes on his return, 60 minutes at home to Ayr is nothing to be concerned about. Ejaria got 30 minutes at the weekend, again 60 minutes should be more than fine. He missed 2 games in a week, not like was long term..

Sadiq has scored goals at a higher level, let's give the guy a chance against a lower level side.

Don't buy into any of those arguments bar maybe Wallace.

You've taken out much of our most recent goal scoring threat. You've removed our attacking full back play to play a defensive full back and an unfit player. You've placed two inexperienced CHs in front of a keeper that's not got much game time this season- far different from AM and CG with plenty game time adding Worrall to the triangle.

You agree Dorrans isn't fully fit, you only want to give him 60 mins. So despite playing so many players returning from injury or without many 1st team 90 mins under their belts you're already working towards subbing some of them. Which leaves max 1 tactical sub if the two you mention are fucked after an hour.

Our play centres around a central focal point - we don't know if sadiq can do this.

Ultimately, your chucking everything that's been good about us into the air to force changes - apparently because it's only Ayr.

You'd probably first to complain about all the changes if we got beat which would be far more likely with your team than if we weren't so mental as to play it.

1 hour ago, cushynumber said:

I would go

Fod

Tav       Worrall       Katic         Barasic

Grezda Ejaria McRorie Dorrans Middleton

Morelos

That lineup would be a strong one with some rotation, and allows for some of the younger players or Sadiq to come on if we're cruising after an hour or so. 

1 hour ago, Rangers_no1 said:

@graeme_4

Will ask you the same question, why does that 11 give you the fear? You just posted a thread saying you believe we can win the league, yet a team that has many players who are going to play a big part in the league over the season give you the fear against Ayr at home?  

Surely if that team gives you the fear, you shouldn't be so confident of winning the league with such squad players? Doesn't make any sense to me!

Lack of physicality in midfield has been our achilles heel for the last 4 years or so, and Sadiq being a joke figure of Dalcio levels obviously. 

Morelos is starting anyway.

Fully expecting to scud them regardless, but I’d have McCrorie in holding midfield if Coulibaly and Jack aren’t in. 

This is a perfect opportunity for Gerrard to find out just how much strength in depth he has in the Squad. 

The real test to see if we will win the league this year is how the second 11 can perform if and when any of them are brought into the first team as cover for injury or suspension. Most teams have a strong 1st 11 but what differentiates potential league winners from the rest is strength of the overall squad. 

I was pleased we changed it about on Sunday from Thursday and still performed very well. 

A second string tonight, with a strong bench allows Gerrard to assess to overall squad strength while having an insurance policy to strengthening during the 90 minutes if not going to plan.

Wondering if the gaffer is going to make more changes than usual given the competition and the opposition.

Its a good opportunity to do so but he may not want to run the risk of upsetting the rhythm by making too many changes.

1479821336_RangersvsAyr.thumb.png.b8366d003eaa2b1cd47875fdfc8ebbe3.png

Grezda amd Middleton I'm sure will start.

If Sadiq doesn't start tonight we'd be as well sending him back to Roma as if he can't get in the gaffer's starting line up against Ayr at home he won't feature at all this season.

Rossiter might not be in from the start but I reckon Dorrans will.

Wallace might just be getting game time for the reserves as a gesture rather than with intent to get him into the first team.

Should be an intriguing match though.

15 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

Wondering if the gaffer is going to make more changes than usual given the competition and the opposition.

Its a good opportunity to do so but he may not want to run the risk of upsetting the rhythm by making too many changes.

1479821336_RangersvsAyr.thumb.png.b8366d003eaa2b1cd47875fdfc8ebbe3.png

Grezda amd Middleton I'm sure will start.

If Sadiq doesn't start tonight we'd be as well sending him back to Roma as if he can't get in the gaffer's starting line up against Ayr at home he won't feature at all this season.

Rossiter might not be in from the start but I reckon Dorrans will.

Wallace might just be getting game time for the reserves as a gesture rather than with intent to get him into the first team.

Should be an intriguing match though.

I think he might rest Goldson tonight and go with Worrall and Katic.

Fully agree on Sadiq. If you can't trust him to start against Ayr. Who can you trust him against.

Archived