MAN CHARGED FOLLOWING ASSAULT OF ASSISTANT REFEREE, LIVINGSTON

j1mgg

From West Lothian police Facebook.

MAN CHARGED FOLLOWING ASSAULT OF ASSISTANT REFEREE, LIVINGSTON

A man has been charged after an assistant referee was struck with a coin during a football match.

The incident happened during the game between Livingston FC and Rangers FC at the Tony Macaroni Arena on Sunday 30th September.

The 30-year-old is scheduled to appear at Livingston Sheriff Court on Friday 5th October.

Superintendent Craig Smith, Event Commander for the match, said: "As a result of this incident we received an overwhelming number of calls from the public, who shared our position that such behaviour was totally unacceptable.

"I'd like to thank both sets of supporters, the respective clubs and the general public for their assistance during this investigation."

5 minutes ago, Blueshoff said:

fucking 30 year old and throwing a coin - fucks sake.

My first thought.

The way @GOAT mentioned it, I thought it was a daft wee drunk kid. 

Not Goat's description of events being wrong... just my misunderstanding.

4 minutes ago, Blueshoff said:

fucking 30 year old and throwing a coin - fucks sake.

Was typing exactly this, a fucking 30 year old guy flinging a coin, thought it might've been some wee guy who had done it when pissed to look smart in front of his mates but that's a joke. Banned for life hopefully.

Quite right, but a shame nonetheless.

Pity he's lost his job as well. As much as he deserves to be punished, it's not right that his life is destroyed, albeit he only has himself to blame.

Reckon I'd go for something like a 5 year ban rather than a life ban from Ibrox. Get in bother again then a life one.

1 minute ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

"Not a real Ranger's fan" gets banded about far too much.

This is one of the least annoying times I have seen it used.

Cunt is worse than a Yes voter.

Don't think it's anyone's right to call him a real Rangers fan or not. A Rangers fan who made a cunt of it and is facing the consequences, no need to kick him when he's down.

5 minutes ago, rfc_watp said:

Banned for life for throwing a coin?

Ffs man get a grip.

Aye he let himself and the club down, and he will face the consequences but far too many of our own sticking the boot into the guy.

Banned for life for a moment of madness, not for me.

Some moment of madness. Don't think it's ever crossed my mind to throw coins at people

good. fuck that cunt. there is no need for that shite. 

if they call themself a Rangers fan then let me tell them...you are NOT. you are scum.

i will defend my fellow Rangers fans/supporters to the end of the earth but this is an absolute joke. there is no need to fire a coin at a ref. 

6 minutes ago, rfc_watp said:

Banned for life for throwing a coin?

Ffs man get a grip.

Aye he let himself and the club down, and he will face the consequences but far too many of our own sticking the boot into the guy.

Banned for life for a moment of madness, not for me.

So we invite him back and when he gets pissed again or we're losing he does something & we get more bad press? Got enough people who hate us up here in the media without giving them even more ammo

At the same time, wouldn't advocate anycunt grassing a fellow bear in lol! ?