SFA to boycott Gazzas hall of fame dinner

.Williamson.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DrLaudrup said:

There is an odd hypocrisy that overcomes the SFA when it concerns us and our players. Since when have the SFA appointed themselves moral crusaders. A look back through the Scottish Hall of fame shows a litany of alcoholics and questionable personalities but that isn't why they are there. 

The accolade is for football. Gazza has had so many troubles, it would have been great to say that in spite of his mental health and life issues the football community can come together and acknowledge the football genius that we were fortunate enough to grace our club and league. 

As poor at what he has done, there is a big difference in my book between the behaviour of a constantly relapsing alcoholic and institutional cover ups of abuse etc. As I say, I'm not condoning aspects of Gazza's life, just that it seems odd for the SFA to turn their moral compass on him and not others - especially when there is so much emphasis on mental health etc with charities and things at the moment. Welcoming him would have been a positive message in my opinion. 

Great post mate. :thumbup:

7 minutes ago, backup said:

I wonder how much dignified silence the board will apply to this fiasco, the usual unlimited amounts I will hazard.

I sincerely hope not.  

It's absolutely appalling for these weasels to say they will rally round footballers with mental health issues to then say "well no,  from now on(starting with Gazza)it's not actually okay and we will look down on you for it" Or is it just Gazza alone who is being snubbed?  

As it has already been mentioned,  you see all these other ex players who were either alcoholics/woman beaters and whatever else... Will they be taken down and discarded like they were nothing to football?  

1 hour ago, Moobs said:

What was he saying mate? In a way, down south will be noticing how poisonous this fuckin country is. Fuckin sickening 

in an era of political correctness and diversity it's unbelievable how it's deemed to be fair game to be blatantly anti English 

8 minutes ago, Heshootshescores said:

What really bothers me is that the cowardly bastards who made this decision will allowed to hide now. I was looking forward to seeing which members of that corrupt pile of shite would be boycotting the awards. 

Now we'll never know. 

Nail on the head mate, That's the real reason he has now been omitted imo as the cunts who boycotted the dinner would be outed and fucking vilified, Cowardly Cunts

Just to remind you,  Gazza is an England Hall of Famer.

PAUL GASCOIGNE

Paul Gascoigne battles with Lothar Matthaus in the game between England and Germany. Pic via Mirrorpix.

One of England's brightest talents in the 80s and 90s, Paul Gascoigne remains one of British football's most well-known personalities.

Born in Gateshead in 1967, Gascoigne made his debut for Newcastle United in 1985. By 1988 he was voted PFA Young Player of the Year and was in the PFA Team of the Year, having shown great natural ability in midfield.

A British record fee (£2 million) followed as Tottenham Hotspur snapped up the country's hottest footballing prospect. In the same year the talented midfielder made his debut for Bobby Robson's England.

Football fans were becoming aware of not just Gascogine's precocious talent, but also a fun-loving personality that showed itself in his on-and-off-pitch behaviour.

In the summer of 1990 Gascoigne was discovered by global football fans, and the wider public at home found a new celebrity icon.

Gascoigne had enjoyed a fine World Cup in Italy, as England had their most successful tournament since 1966. In a tightly-fought semi final against West Germany, he picked up a yellow card, meaning he would be suspended for the final, if England got there.

West Germany famously won on penalties, but perhaps the most enduring image of England's tournament was the close-up, captured by TV cameras and shown around the world, of the 23 year old using his shirt to wipe away tears following that booking, as senior players hurried to put a protective arm around him.

Gascoigne was named in the tournament All-Star team for his performances and returned home to a frenzy that the national press referred to as ‘Gazzamania’: he won BBC Sports Personality of the Year the same year.

English FA Cup Fourth Round match at White Hart Lane.
Tottenham Hotspur 4 v Oxford United 2.
Paul Gascoigne of Spurs celebrates after scoring his second goal.
26th January 1991.
Image courtesy of Mirrorpix.

Back on the pitch, Gascoigne reached the FA Cup Final with Spurs in 1991, but ruptured cruciate ligaments in his knee when making a high tackle. Before the game, Gascoigne had agreed terms to join Italian club Lazio: the injury however meant that he missed the entire following season.

He ruled himself out even longer when he damaged his knee again on a night out, further delaying the move to Italy. Eventually he joined in 1992 but was plagued by injury that sidelined him for most of the 1994–95 season. Despite the spell overseas, the British press and fans continued to be interested in a player whose talent and joy for the game seemed to be matched only by his consistent bad luck.

Leaving Lazio for Rangers in 1995, Gascoigne won the league twice, Scottish Cup and the League Cup, recapturing some of the form and fitness that had made him crucial to the national side.

"THE BEST PLAYER I'VE EVER PLAYED WITH WAS PAUL GASCOIGNE. HE HAD EVERYTHING. HE WAS AMAZING" PAUL INCE

He was key to Terry Venables' England team at Euro 1996, scoring a memorable ‘flick and volley’ goal against Scotland. His famous celebration, with team-mates spraying water in his mouth, was a nod to the tabloid reports of off-pitch drunkeness that were becoming a regular occurrence.

Gascoigne helped England qualify for the 1998 FIFA World Cup, but was left out of the final squad by manager Glenn Hoddle after injury and disciplinary problems, seemingly fuelled by an off-pitch lifestyle that was becoming a concern to club and national managers. He won a total of 57 England caps and scored 10 goals.

He joined Middlesbrough in 1998, helping them into the Premier League as Division 1 runners-up and played his final top-flight season at Everton in 2000.

Widely recognised as the most naturally talented English footballer of his generation, Gascoigne has openly talked about how his alcoholism has affected his professional and personal life.

English clubs: Newcastle United, Tottenham Hotspur, Middlesbrough, Everton, Burnley
Caps: 57 , 10 goals
Honours: 1 FA Cup
Inducted: 2002

2 hours ago, coopsleftboot said:

I've just caught the end of a discussion on Radio Scotland on the way to work...Jim Spence and Alistair Campbell involved.  Don't know if anyone else heard the whole thing but I only caught the last 30 seconds.  Jim Spence is a fucking idiot.  I knew it before but to go on about Gazzas illness and suggest once he's gone through a period of redemption (his words) then he could come back.  Campbell was seething and wanted to get tore in but got cut off to move onto something else.

I'll try to listen to the full discussion later, and, if it's as bad as its sounded, I'll be onto the fucking beeb again.  Mental Health week and we've a cunt without a brain pontificating....the only reason for a cunt like Spence to do it is he's anti-English and anti-Rangers...nothing more.

I'm fucking ragin if you didn't know.

redemption

noun

the action of saving or being saved from sin, error, or evil.

"God's plans for the redemption of his world"

synonyms:saving, saving/freeing from sin, vindication, absolution

"God's redemption of his people"

That's appalling use of language from the venomous idiot.  Mental health/alchoholism/domestic abuse - these are all current issues being dealt with in Scotland by a Violence Reduction Unit who concentrate on mentoring and Counselling as it's the most effective route.  

But because Gazza is English/ex Rangers he is to be punished and pay for his sins!

Its complete and utter hypocrisy and bigotry and anglophobia of the highest order. 

11 minutes ago, Sweettartangirl said:

Might be something to take them up on via all leading Social Media outlets as well as emails etc

Just to give them a friendly nudge in the right direction of course

Has Walter refused his induction, strictly as a lead to support Gazza, no I didn’t think so either.

1 minute ago, backup said:

Has Walter refused his induction, strictly as a lead to support Gazza, no I didn’t think so either.

Why the fuck should he?  If anyone deserves it, Walter does. A future with only tartan bedecked taigs in Scotlands Hall of Fame - that is what they want!

Just now, Sparkle said:

Why the fuck should he?  If anyone deserves it, Walter does. A future with only tartan bedecked taigs in Scotlands Hall of Fame - that is what they want!

If you need told why you have bought into a phrase of Wattie’s.....dignified silence..rather than lead by example.

Archived