***The Official Rangers V Spartak Moscow Match Thread***

ForeverAndEver

I felt that was a game we had to win considering the next three will be tougher than the last three matches. Villareal look an improving side and so I think our best chance is to win in Vienna, draw in Moscow and draw against Villareal - 10 points and through. But, hey great to be in the group and undefeated.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Former Rangers striker Steven Thompson on BBC Radio Scotland

For Rangers supporters, it's probably been unthinkable, to be on this type of run in Europe. That's six clean seats, which is sensational.

Don't know what six clean seats will get us at the end of the league stages but ST seems to think it is important, really have to laugh at the BBC and the slapdash online stuff, surely someone checks these things before they get posted!!

1 minute ago, Mr Soprano said:

Thought Goldson was pretty poor tonight tbh, along with Coulibaly.

Didn't really see him do anything wrong or spectacular but I'm beginning to see why Worrall is the better option than Katic but only barely. It's fine line.

Frustrated and disappointed. Strange game tbh. They were there for the taking and we didn’t seem to want it enough, which is even stranger considering how good a position we would’ve been in had we won, sat back off them far too much imo. Especially disappointed after the second half considering we didn’t seem to change the strategy much, if at all.

Frustrating night bears, one of those ones.

Here’s the things that pissed me right off:

- Tav’s corners 

- the long ball route [devoid of ideas]

- giving it away so easily

- quality of passing 

- no midfield general 

- Flanagan (acknowledge lack of matches)

- Grezda , pretty underwhelming 

- the referee 

I think we missed Arfield, seemed like a severe lack of back to front and good passing (playing football)

24 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

We weren't great imo, and we should have scored 2 or 3. Candeias fucking up the cross to Ejaria, Grezda and Coulibaly not sliding/gambling for the cross

Candeias should've shot instead of attempting that pish cross. Coulibaly not getting that tap in is so frustrating, as is Grezda not finishing that chance at the end. But I think Kent could've taken the shot on himself, from where I was sitting their wee cunt of a keeper left a massive gap, plus Morelos was there to pick up any scraps. All round frustrating night. Spartak were there for the taking in my opinion.

When you hear in the press these guys are leaving most of their international players at home for the league game on Monday and that they had just sacked their manager and the fitness guy took over, were you not thinking “we’re going to walk this” 

I did...I thought they chucked this to salvage their league form.

obviously wrong,

i was on the bandwagon but the 11/10 or 23/20 odds didn’t seem to reflect this or change so I had my doubts, ultimately we were shite and not clinical in front of goal.

This Spartak team didn’t actually seem to be the mugs I was expecting and were very compact,  time wasting and diving cunts obviously playing for the draw and counter attack.

We should have been better in front of goal or intact with the ball itself.. no excuses 

1 minute ago, RosscoRFC87 said:

When you hear in the press these guys are leaving most of their international players at home for the league game on Monday and that they had just sacked their manager and the fitness guy took over, were you not thinking “we’re going to walk this” 

I did...I thought they chucked this to salvage their league form.

obviously wrong,

i was on the bandwagon but the 11/10 or 23/20 odds didn’t seem to reflect this or change so I had my doubts, ultimately we were shite and not clinical in front of goal.

This Spartak team didn’t actually seem to be the mugs I was expecting and were very compact,  time wasting and diving cunts obviously playing for the draw and counter attack.

We should have been better in front of goal or intact with the ball itself.. no excuses 

Why would the Russian champions of 2016/2017 ever be mugs?

Don't get some people on here.

16 minutes ago, TheKingObv said:

They finished 4 points off 1st last year and have a squad value about 4x ours. 

I’m just saying the media made them out to be half a squad with a physio as a  manager in turmoil and I can assure I wasn’t the only one to take the bait

At the end of the day I’m just disappointed as we all, but  if we didn’t have powderpuff tonight we would have got the 3 points 

1 minute ago, RosscoRFC87 said:

Kent (on various polls I’ve seen)

Definitely him or Worrall 

Yeah that makes sense. That dribble between two defenders in the 94th before Grezda skied it was amazing. And so much more..... Still, he is not the finished article but neither was Sterling or even now for that matter.

They were there for the taking in the first half, they seemed to take heart that they went in level at half time, plus their substitutes, gave them a lift.  Still think we made enough chances to win although we didn't seem to press enough in the second half, we'd put them under a bit of pressure but just couldn't sustain it for long enough.  There were times I was thinking " keep pushing, keep pushing, they're ready to concede, they look resigned to it"  then we'd ease off and give them easy possession.  Also think we missed Arfield to link up the play.

7 hours ago, Shuggy said:

I felt that was a game we had to win considering the next three will be tougher than the last three matches. Villareal look an improving side and so I think our best chance is to win in Vienna, draw in Moscow and draw against Villareal - 10 points and through. But, hey great to be in the group and undefeated.

I think 10 points should see us through although it would have been better taking maximum points at home. It’s never good in Europe knowing we have to go away and get something. The must win game is Rapid Vienna as you say. Taking anything from the other matches away will be tough in my opinion. 

Archived