Gerrard

Lloyd

2 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

I never said he’s been a success so far. He’s been a mixed bag but I think we’ve seen enough to say that he deserves time to develop and learn as a manager - and yes the European run is a big part of me forming that opinion. We can’t keep ripping it up and starting over every six months because 1) we aren’t going attract a manager of a higher level. After four managers in four years you would think people would realise that by now and 2) unless somebody comes in and injects a lot of money into the club we aren’t going to get the quick fix that people still seem to think this is.

Agreed, we can't, but Gerrard will be hounded out if he fails to turn things round with away form. You simply don't get time if you manage a big club. 

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, ElBufalo20 said:

Why cos he’s Steven Gerrard and a really famous ex player.

Im not suggesting he gets sacked but he’s certainly due all the criticism he is getting. A fair few decisions already this season have been questionable.

A year ago Caixinha was sacked for being 3rd in the league after 9 games with the same points as we have currently while sitting in 5th and also losing in the league cup semi final.

Ironicaly we play Kilmarnock at home again midweek after the semi defeat. 

What is the difference in Gerrard being given time and Caixinha being hounded out?

And you can’t use Europe as an excuse cos that’s irrelevant just now when we’ve not won a domestic trophy in 8 years.

You do make a valid point and Steven should not be above criticism, but much of what is being said is nothing more than personal abuse of a young man who does have so much to offer.

As I've said the only ones not learning are us. Most fickle fans in the land bar none. We love our scapegoats and a good hanging party.

Be assured that our future success.and sustainability is tied to the Gerrard brand whether we like it or not

There is no one after Steven. He walks away, King walks with him and you can take that to the bank and I will leave the rest to your imagination.

We again show the worst of us in the gnashing of teeth and calling for the noose. Steven doesn't need the grief from the usual yahoos in here, nor does he deserve it.

Let's leave it at that.

14 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Agreed, we can't, but Gerrard will be hounded out if he fails to turn things round with away form. You simply don't get time if you manage a big club. 

As a rookie I always expected him to make mistakes but what’s worrying is that he doesn’t appear to be learning from them.

9 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

You do make a valid point and Steven should not be above criticism, but much of what is being said is nothing more than personal abuse of a young man who does have so much to offer.

As I've said the only ones not learning are us. Most fickle fans in the land bar none. We love our scapegoats and a good hanging party.

Be assured that our future success.and sustainability is tied to the Gerrard brand whether we like it or not

There is no one after Steven. He walks away, King walks with him and you can take that to the bank and I will leave the rest to your imagination.

We again show the worst of us in the gnashing of teeth and calling for the noose. Steven doesn't need the grief from the usual yahoos in here, nor does he deserve it.

Let's leave it at that.

Good post 

I'm not sure a lot of our support understand the greater value that Gerrard brings....I'm not saying he will be a flop or a success at this point as he is young and still learning whilst only 4mnth into the job...the reality is our exposure under Gerrard is so much greater than it's been for years, we are talked about more often than not with the major sattelite broadcasters....it's great hearing the pundits big us up on European nights just as they are discussing Chelsea & Arsenal also...whatever happens under Gerrard as a manager their is no doubting he will have helped promote Rangers as the Brand.

33 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

On paper yeah, how it's played out, not so much.

Villarreal are sitting 17th and only 4 points of bottom, likely to sack their manager, just like Rapid and Spartak already have. All three are having poor seasons and we've benefited from Villarreal playing a second string and missing many chances. Result at home to Spartak was hardly great. If we end up getting 0 points from next 3 games, will 5 out of 18 be regarded as good?

Domestically is were Gerrard will be judged and there has been no improvement on last year, that is factual!

Did you expect to make it through 4 qualifiers and be top of the group, undefeated. Including away trips to eastern Europe and Villarreal?

Couldn't care less about their form, they've been tough games and we've been exceptional. Last year we were an embarrassment against complete diddies.

With respect every saying they are in poor form sounds like a comment a scum fan would use to downplay how good we've been in europe

30 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

we aren’t going attract a manager of a higher level. 

Don't you mean 'we're not going to attract a bigger name as manager'?  After all, Gerrard was a youth manager when we signed him.  Being a big name player now retired doesn't qualify him as a high level manager.

44 minutes ago, minstral said:

We have some amount of managers on this board. We should all be employed at football clubs instead of posting on football forums.

So what should we talk about then?

52 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

maybe just maybe certain players who survived the summer's cull could be the problem??

Candeias, Morelos, and Tavernier are three of our best players.  Those three have 20+ goals between them, and 20+ assists, they've been a huge part of everything that's been good this season.  

1 minute ago, TMB said:

Candeias, Morelos, and Tavernier are three of our best players.  Those three have 20+ goals between them, and 20+ assists, they've been a huge part of everything that's been good this season.  

I never mentioned any names but 2 of the 3 players have all played in our 3 defeats this season and countless embarrassments from previous campaigns 

53 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

I never said he’s been a success so far. He’s been a mixed bag but I think we’ve seen enough to say that he deserves time to develop and learn as a manager - and yes the European run is a big part of me forming that opinion. We can’t keep ripping it up and starting over every six months because 1) we aren’t going attract a manager of a higher level. After four managers in four years you would think people would realise that by now and 2) unless somebody comes in and injects a lot of money into the club we aren’t going to get the quick fix that people still seem to think this is.

Absolutely spot on with this comment ?

14 hours ago, Yonner said:

To each and every fucking bellend out there who is having a go at the manager.....wind your fucking uneducated necks in wiiya? We have a gaffer who cares, who is hurting and who has taken full responsibility. Who do you clueless muppets think can have done a better job at the helm since SG joined the club? He's working absolute fucking miracles with a SPL mid table squad. Days like today will happen with the resources at his disposal....the issue is that they would happen a whole lot more frequently with just about any other gaffer in charge......and HE KNOWS what is wrong and what he needs to do to correct it. If he gets support from the board (remains to be seen longer term) he will sort it out. Everyones expectations (including mine) have increased tenfold due to the relative success we've enjoyed so far this term. That doesn't give anyone the right to act like we should be winning trophies again any time soon. Rangers AND SG ARE A WORK IN PROGRESS and it will take a little more patience before we can RELIABLY expect great outcomes from days like today. How about you content yourselves with being there when the revolution started. FFS!!!

He’s got the second best resources in the league and the second best squad. 

You’ve got some brass neck on you to be calling anybody an uneducated bellend or clueless muppet with that shite you posted.

Working miracles ?

Aye 5th place and out the cup what a fucking miracle, granted he’s done well in Europe but I fear the wheels are about to come off there too. 

5 minutes ago, Tiger Shaw said:

You’ve got some brass neck on you to be calling anybody an uneducated bellend or clueless muppet with that shite you posted.

Working miracles ?

Aye 5th place and out the cup what a fucking miracle, granted he’s done well in Europe but I fear the wheels are about to come off there too. 

We need to settle down with this 5th in the league theory....yes we are currently sitting 5th but the league so far is a bit up and down and eventually it will settle down and take shape....Hearts are 6pts clear just now but we soundly beat them last time out and the tims pumped them yesterday, come the end of the year if we are still sitting 5th then we should all be worried.

1 minute ago, hammer93 said:

We need to settle down with this 5th in the league theory....yes we are currently sitting 5th but the league so far is a bit up and down and eventually it will settle down and take shape....Hearts are 6pts clear just now but we soundly beat them last time out and the tims pumped them yesterday, come the end of the year if we are still sitting 5th then we should all be worried.

I understand that mate but to say he’s working miracles with a mid SPL level squad is nonsense. 

4 hours ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

Anyone calling for his head or even thinking about it is a complete spastic.

Yesterday was more down to the players than Gerrard. Ok you can talk about subs etc but ultimately we had plenty of the ball and got into plenty of good positions to find that final pass to score the goal. The players are at fault. As a fan base we need to stop always looking at the manager. The fact that Gerrard has this group of players top of a Europa league group shows that he is a talented manager but yesterday was on the players for me.

They just yet again failed to deliver when it counts domestically. We had the chances to score and didn't do it. Although I will say Gerrard needs to work on us defending set pieces. It's cost us something like 2 wins in the league because of last minute corners/set pieces. 

5 minutes ago, Tiger Shaw said:

I understand that mate but to say he’s working miracles with a mid SPL level squad is nonsense. 

Agree with you on that, I still believe we will put up a challenge to the tims but they are now scoring goals on the domestic front, I know we keep saying it but our next 2 league games are massive 6ts are a must while everyone except the tims will cut each others throats, win the next 2 and the league will start to look a damn sight better for us.

Yesterday was awful but to sack the manager who has obviously improved the way we play is bonkers. Not even halfway into the season and some folk want him replaced. 

Decent crosses and good passing into the box are letting us down big time. One shot on target in any game is unforgivable. 

Gerrard wants success and will be working to improve us more.

I think the initial buzz of Gerrard being manager has started to wear off, and really we have been over performing in games. The last 3 games have been worrying performance wise. I don't think blame can go to one specific player, but the likes of Candeias who was voted POTY for us last year, far too often produces nothing of note, Jack/Halliday/McCrorie are decent enough players but offer very little in an attacking sense. In a league where most teams will sit back on us it is going to be very hard to break down teams when we ourselves don't attack enough. Middleton looks like he could be a real attacking threat but he's not going to get in behind a team holding on to a 1 goal lead. Once we start getting attacking options or at least a plan b we will maybe move forward. It was realistically always going to take a year to challenge again after undergoing a rebuild year on year.

1 hour ago, TMB said:

Don't you mean 'we're not going to attract a bigger name as manager'?  After all, Gerrard was a youth manager when we signed him.  Being a big name player now retired doesn't qualify him as a high level manager.

No I mean what I posted. I don’t think we are going to attract anybody who will do any better than Gerrard is. 

People have acted like it’s an easy task to find a quality manager after McCoist, Warburton, Caixinha and then Murty left but time and time again we’ve faced the same problems.

There isn’t a manager out there who is a realistic option for us that is going to wave a magic wand and fix our problems overnight, certainly not Steve Clarke who will no doubt be heralded a messiah if we have another couple of bad results.

At some point we have to have some patience with somebody and despite his errors and mistakes I still think Gerrard is showing enough to warrant sticking with for  the duration of this season at least.

4 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

Agree with you on that, I still believe we will put up a challenge to the tims but they are now scoring goals on the domestic front, I know we keep saying it but our next 2 league games are massive 6ts are a must while everyone except the tims will cut each others throats, win the next 2 and the league will start to look a damn sight better for us.

I think we will win the next two league games mate, then when we think we’re back on track we’ll fuck up again. With any new team off days will happen but they just seem to happen to us far too often. We’ve got a better squad and resources than Aberdeen, Livingston, Motherwell and should be beating them, domestically he’s underachieving so far in my opinion, not working miracles. 

Maybe this will be the kick up the arse the whole squad and Gerrard needs and we go on a long unbeaten run. Wouldn’t hold my breath for that though unless lessons are learned and quick.

36 minutes ago, Tiger Shaw said:

Working miracles ?

Doesn't matter what the budget is pal......it's still a mid table SPL squad. Look at the table!!

Where we are in Europe after all of us not expecting to nget through the four qualifying rounds is nothing short of a miracle in my book

I'll say again....if we finish second in the league, get out of the group stages in Europe and get to a cup final, it will be a successful season.

Archived