Gerrard

Lloyd

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Yonner said:

Doesn't matter what the budget is pal......it's still a mid table SPL squad. Look at the table!!

Where we are in Europe after all of us not expecting to nget through the four qualifying rounds is nothing short of a miracle in my book

I'll say again....if we finish second in the league, get out of the group stages in Europe and get to a cup final, it will be a successful season.

It’s not even close to being a mid table SPL squad. We are mid table but that’s because we are underperforming, not because the squad is incapable. Do St Johnstone and Motherwell regularly sign Croatian international full backs and 3 million pound centre halves? :lol:

1 minute ago, Yonner said:

Doesn't matter what the budget is pal......it's still a mid table SPL squad. Look at the table!!

Where we are in Europe after all of us not expecting to nget through the four qualifying rounds is nothing short of a miracle in my book

I'll say again....if we finish second in the league, get out of the group stages in Europe and get to a cup final, it will be a successful season.

No it's not, that's fucking mental. A mid table SPFL player is a Blair Alston, Eamon Brophy, Chris Cadden or Lewis Stevenson. Not the likes of Allan Mcgregor, Alfredo Morelos, Connor Goldson or Scott Arfield.

I reckon that while he has made mistakes, i.e. sometimes playing the wrong players and a seeming unwillingness to make subs when they are needed, on the whole we have a far better squad and a manager who mostly is able to get a better standard of performance from the team. Where we lack is real quality in the final third. A real number 10 type player and a wide player who can both beat a man and supply a decent crosses. Who knows, maybe Grezda might be that man? We could also do with another  proper centre forward. All these things seem obvious and I would like to think a man of Gerrards football pedigree will see this. It was never going to take only one transfer window to sort out the shambles of a team we were. It may take another two.

43 minutes ago, Jeffrey said:

Talk of sacking him is mad but he deserves a lot of criticism for some of the decisions he's made. He's got an awful lot wrong.

Every manager makes mistakes, even the greats get it wrong, Gerrard is young and yes is/has made mistakes its learning from them that become the issue, maybe just maybe was a major wake up call for him in regards to what players he can trust going forward.

47 minutes ago, Tiger Shaw said:

I think we will win the next two league games mate, then when we think we’re back on track we’ll fuck up again. With any new team off days will happen but they just seem to happen to us far too often. We’ve got a better squad and resources than Aberdeen, Livingston, Motherwell and should be beating them, domestically he’s underachieving so far in my opinion, not working miracles. 

Maybe this will be the kick up the arse the whole squad and Gerrard needs and we go on a long unbeaten run. Wouldn’t hold my breath for that though unless lessons are learned and quick.

Yip.....I remember a thread our next 5 games....the op alludes to 15pts that were a must and on paper it would have seemed justified!!

I quoted that I was sick of seeing such threads as we are never capable of doing it as their is always a bump on the road for us....low and behold Livingston was that bump, unless we eradicate performances like the Livingston game then I'm agreed their will be more let downs, I'm hoping that Gerrard is strong enough to ditch the tried and tested failures and hopefully give us an upgrade.

5 hours ago, chris182 said:

Not for me. Consistent yes but lacks leadership qualities IMO.

Goldson or Mcgregor should have been a shout

Shagger was just back ( but a good choice)!- and Goodson was brand new and who knows if he could handle it - Tav is the standout candidate in the squad for me. 

49 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

No I mean what I posted. I don’t think we are going to attract anybody who will do any better than Gerrard is. 

People have acted like it’s an easy task to find a quality manager after McCoist, Warburton, Caixinha and then Murty left but time and time again we’ve faced the same problems.

There isn’t a manager out there who is a realistic option for us that is going to wave a magic wand and fix our problems overnight, certainly not Steve Clarke who will no doubt be heralded a messiah if we have another couple of bad results.

At some point we have to have some patience with somebody and despite his errors and mistakes I still think Gerrard is showing enough to warrant sticking with for  the duration of this season at least.

I think we can attract a better manager than Steven Gerrard.  They may not have the billboard name of Steven Gerrard but there's certainly better out there.  

I agree it's not an easy task to find a quality manager as our club have shown ever since Walter left.  McCoist, Warburton, Pedro, Murty, we've certainly made a cunt of it but that doesn't mean good managers aren't out there.  The most important thing is to learn from our mistakes and by appointing Gerrard it seems like we haven't learned.  McCoist was a big name player and club legend but absolutely clueless as a manager and the support were unified in the idea that a rookie should never cut his teeth at a club of this size when he left.  Yet, here we are again repeating the same mistakes of the past.

You say there isn't a manager out there who can fix our problems overnight.  I'm not expecting an overnight night fix but I do expect to see substantial progress after a £10m summer investment what was labelled the toughest preseason camp ever.  Gerrard also said his team now had a winning mentality but where was that yesterday?  Where was it against Livingstone?

You mentioned Steve Clarke - This is a guy who took over a Kilmarnock side that was bottom of the league, has spent nothing since he took over, yet has averaged more league points per game than us for over a year now.  Not only has Steve Clarke's side averaged more points per game but he's beaten celtic twice which is something we haven't done since April 2016.  Last season you said Clarke only achieved what he did because he had some EPL quality players there (you were talking about Mulumbu and some defender they had on loan) but that's been proven as absolute bullshit.  Mulumbu has left, signed for celtic, and Kilmarnock still beat Rodgers' team.  Clarke is doing an exceptional job for Kilmarnock and perhaps we should've gone after him in the summer because he represents the 'safe pair of hands' we need for stability going forward.  Is Steve Clarke a realistic option for Rangers?  Yes.

On your last point, this support has no patients.  If we keep this inconsistent league form, if we keep hovering around the mid table, if celtic keep beating us in the head to heads, the fans will turn against Gerrard.  celtic have had their worst league start in decades yet they're still above us and now look like they'll pick up the first silverware of the season.  We need to start winning league games consistently from now until the next Old Firm game or the wheels will come off our season.

2 hours ago, TMB said:

Candeias, Morelos, and Tavernier are three of our best players.  Those three have 20+ goals between them, and 20+ assists, they've been a huge part of everything that's been good this season.  

They are all decent enough players on their game, but each blows hot and cold and they are simply not good enough to lead us where we wish and demand to be. If you think that these players are the best we have, we are fucked.

Gerrard can only give these players so much, but as he hopefully now sees, they are limited and nowhere near his level as a player.

They have come on under him, but it is obvious they can't maintain it and that is why we are so inconsistent imo. We have all seen just how good we can be on the day.

Just not enough serious quality in that squad. 3 or 4 in of serious quality and this whole squad steps up a level. 

We don't need anymore journeyman, so King has to find the funds.

9 minutes ago, TMB said:

I think we can attract a better manager than Steven Gerrard.  They may not have the billboard name of Steven Gerrard but there's certainly better out there.  

I agree it's not an easy task to find a quality manager as our club have shown ever since Walter left.  McCoist, Warburton, Pedro, Murty, we've certainly made a cunt of it but that doesn't mean good managers aren't out there.  The most important thing is to learn from our mistakes and by appointing Gerrard it seems like we haven't learned.  McCoist was a big name player and club legend but absolutely clueless as a manager and the support were unified in the idea that a rookie should never cut his teeth at a club of this size when he left.  Yet, here we are again repeating the same mistakes of the past.

You say there isn't a manager out there who can fix our problems overnight.  I'm not expecting an overnight night fix but I do expect to see substantial progress after a £10m summer investment what was labelled the toughest preseason camp ever.  Gerrard also said his team now had a winning mentality but where was that yesterday?  Where was it against Livingstone?

You mentioned Steve Clarke - This is a guy who took over a Kilmarnock side that was bottom of the league, has spent nothing since he took over, yet has averaged more league points per game than us for over a year now.  Not only has Steve Clarke's side averaged more points per game but he's beaten celtic twice which is something we haven't done since April 2016.  Last season you said Clarke only achieved what he did because he had some EPL quality players there (you were talking about Mulumbu and some defender they had on loan) but that's been proven as absolute bullshit.  Mulumbu has left, signed for celtic, and Kilmarnock still beat Rodgers' team.  Clarke is doing an exceptional job for Kilmarnock and perhaps we should've gone after him in the summer because he represents the 'safe pair of hands' we need for stability going forward.  Is Steve Clarke a realistic option for Rangers?  Yes.

On your last point, this support has no patients.  If we keep this inconsistent league form, if we keep hovering around the mid table, if celtic keep beating us in the head to heads, the fans will turn against Gerrard.  celtic have had their worst league start in decades yet they're still above us and now look like they'll pick up the first silverware of the season.  We need to start winning league games consistently from now until the next Old Firm game or the wheels will come off our season.

If Clark is the extent of our ambition, we'd be as well shutting up shop now and save Steven from any more grief from the madmen in here.

Fucking hell. This thread. 

I am fucking raging at losing to the sheep. Massively pissed off at the same things others are pissed off about but I am able to be enraged and also understand that we are early in the managers time here. 

Gerrard is not the finished article. Much like the players. If he was the finished article he wouldn’t be here.

However I have seen enough to believe he is the right guy to get us back where we belong. He has to learn many things which have been discussed ad nauseam in this thread but I believe he will. 

We are still only 9 games into the league. With a completely new team. It’s is going to take time. We have outperformed in Europe and underperformed domestically. But I would say that all things considered we are about par. 

The fact we are putting pressure on the manager because he hasn’t got us to the first cup final available to him is a bit much even by our demanding standards. 

Steven Gerrard is a winner and he is a football man as well as a natural born leader. He will get this right. 

5 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

If Clark is the extent of our ambition, we'd be as well shutting up shop now and save Steven from any more grief from the madmen in here.

Steve Clark has done well with Killie. But if anyone thinks Killie play the same scum team as we play they are dreaming. Everyone raises their game against us.

Everyone. 

It’s not so easy being the Rangers manager as being the Killie manager. McInnes knew this all to well which is why he has stayed with the sheep. 

1 hour ago, Yonner said:

Your definition of success is a million miles away from mine.

3 hours ago, Blue Avenger said:

Steve Clarke is also a follower of the filth who wouldn’t manage Rangers. The sooner people realise that the better. 

3 hours ago, Dickie said:

Your definition of success is a million miles away from mine.

Not really....i want the same as you. Success and a successful season, given the context of where we've come from and where this team is in it's development are two different things. Relative success will be when we can claim to be the best team in Scotland again. Thereafter, we can dream.

3 hours ago, Blue Avenger said:

I always said Mulumbu only played for the cameras and you would have a point about my point being absolute bullshit if they hadn’t actually taken Tshibola on loan again this season.

Clarke has done well at Kilmarnock, nobody will say otherwise, but managing Rangers is a different beast entirely. The type of football he plays wouldn’t work against teams who treat us like their cup final every week.

18 hours ago, TMB said:

In many aspects Gerrard has performed above expectations and in others he’s lacking. 

The boards calamitous approach to running a football club is the real reason our progress has been slow. Our net spend has been highest in the league for 2 seasons, we have a DoF who isn’t up to the job and a rookie manager with a blank cheque book. Not hard to see why we are struggling.

16 hours ago, Thermopylae said:

Perhaps we wouldn't be 5th in the league if we weren't in Europe? 

I reckon we might have got something against celtic if not for Europe that week but I’m not sure it made a difference in the rest of the away performances.

Archived