Gerrard

Lloyd

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 29/10/2018 at 10:01, Leeds_Bear said:

If we know teams are going to sit in then we should have a game plan to combat it, pretty fucking simple.

Really,  you should let managers of top clubs all over the world know the simple secret then.  

Every top team struggles ( and fail at times) to break down well drilled, defensive teams.

If it was that fucking simple to combat, no one would use the tactic in the first place ffs.

Honestly the amount of pish in this thread is insane. There are some good points, and valid issues being brought up.

But there's a fair amount of moon howling mentlist shit getting said too.

1 minute ago, Jeffrey said:

We've been hearing similar about us improving and winning trophies for the last 7 years, does my head in that people still take it for granted that that's what's going to happen.

Forums has been the same since I signed up.

Every time we lose a game or drop points or get put out of a cup, the forum implodes.

After the Aberdeen game at the start of the season, almost everyone agreed that we should have won that and we got robbed,  yet it' now being used as a stick to beat him with.

17 minutes ago, gogzy said:

Really,  you should let managers of top clubs all over the world know the simple secret then.  

Every top team struggles ( and fail at times) to break down well drilled, defensive teams.

If it was that fucking simple to combat, no one would use the tactic in the first place ffs.

Honestly the amount of pish in this thread is insane. There are some good points, and valid issues being brought up.

But there's a fair amount of moon howling mentlist shit getting said too.

You have the power, start swinging the ban hammer. 

I've got a list if will help. 

hate to break it to people, but the standard game plan for breaking down teams that park the bus is to try and stretch the game as wide as possible and get your wingers to get to the byline and put in crosses - rather than try to play through the middle.

As we play with two wingers and a central striker, this is actually something we already do in every game. Its the quality of the cross thats the issue - not the game plan.

1 hour ago, Jeffrey said:

Don't remember Van Vossen, Solenko etc but the players I've seen you've mentioned, you're clearly not getting my point on why I find him frustrating. They were all either washed up by the time they got here or just not very good, Ejaria could be really good but as lack of belief or brain is stopping that.

How old is he mate?  It's possible that a lot of the small mistakes comes down to inexperience at top flight level.  Might be the same with a few of these younger players.

8 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

hate to break it to people, but the standard game plan for breaking down teams that park the bus is to try and stretch the game as wide as possible and get your wingers to get to the byline and put in crosses - rather than try to play through the middle.

As we play with two wingers and a central striker, this is actually something we already do in every game. Its the quality of the cross thats the issue - not the game plan.

Agreed, final ball and not anticipating balls coming into the box i.e Coulibaly against Spartak has been biggest weakness the past 2 games.

15 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

You need variety, obviously. That's why every team who dominates the ball has at least one playmaker in their team. It's madness that we don't have one.

5 minutes ago, gogzy said:

How old is he mate?  It's possible that a lot of the small mistakes comes down to inexperience at top flight level.  Might be the same with a few of these younger players.

To an extent. I don't really think he makes a lot of mistakes though it's just his style of play is as ineffective as it gets.

Just now, Jeffrey said:

You need variety, obviously. That's why every team who dominates the ball has at least one playmaker in their team. It's madness that we don't have one.

To an extent. I don't really think he makes a lot of mistakes though it's just his style of play is as ineffective as it gets.

Fair enough.  I do think if he had a consistent final ball, he would be lethal.

Just now, gogzy said:

Fair enough.  I do think if he had a consistent final ball, he would be lethal.

He never even attempts to play that kind of pass though. Everything he does is done with the intention of retaining the ball. There's a time and a place for that definitely but players like him need to take risks and be prepared to lose the ball at times by trying to make something happen.

2 minutes ago, Jeffrey said:

Its not madness - its a result of the restricted time Gerrard has had available to him to build a squad. I'm sure he will be looking to rectify it as a priority. Lots of rumours re davis coming back in the press today for example.

Just now, cushynumber said:

Its not madness - its a result of the restricted time Gerrard has had available to him to build a squad. I'm sure he will be looking to rectify it as a priority. Lots of rumours re davis coming back in the press today for example.

It is madness, he signed 3 central midfielders and not one of them can unlock a defence. 

Davis is another busy player who keeps things neat and tidy but we don't need that.

41 minutes ago, minstral said:

Some people have to remember that we nearly had no club left to follow. We will get back to the top and still have great faith that our manager will be the man to get us back to where we belong.

That’s such a cop out. Yeah everyone knows the problems we’ve had but can’t be used as an excuse every time we bottle a semi final.

We need silverware this season.

4 minutes ago, Jeffrey said:

It is madness, he signed 3 central midfielders and not one of them can unlock a defence. 

Davis is another busy player who keeps things neat and tidy but we don't need that.

I agree we need to bring in someone with that ability as the 3 central mids dont have an assist between them this season, but saying its madness is just hyperbole. Its a reflection of the time he has had to change an entire squad, not the fact he has some kind of mental issue.

Just now, cushynumber said:

I agree we need to bring in someone with that ability as the 3 central mids dont have an assist between them this season, but saying its madness is just hyperbole. Its a reflection of the time he has had to change an entire squad, not the fact he has some kind of mental issue.

Come on man :lol: It's a terrible managerial decision then. Better? You've kiinda proved my point by posting that stat...

This isn't with hindsight either. It's been an obvious problem since the beginning of the season.

1 minute ago, Jeffrey said:

Come on man :lol: It's a terrible managerial decision then. Better? You've kiinda proved my point by posting that stat...

This isn't with hindsight either. It's been an obvious problem since the beginning of the season.

Its you that keeps using the word madness :lol:

its not a terrible decision either - we have the best Goal Difference in the league - ffs we must be doing something right :lol:

I think its been apparent for a while that we need some more quality in the midfield, but that quality isn't readily available and to be honest with all the issues we had when Gerrard came in, there's is no way he is going to cover everything in every position in a single transfer window - its impossible - hindsight or not.

also worth noting that those same players - while not maybe providing the assists we are looking for, does mean we do not lose a lot of goals. In all the 23 games we have played even when we have been beaten this season its always been by a single goal and we have failed to score.

So we have an inexperienced manager, In his first role, having had to clear out a good chunk of the previous squads in one transfer window and people are saying he is on shaky ground? 

This is the guy we have to give the time to. There is quite clearly progress being made. People are saying about the league position but two or three wins on the spin and we will be right up there. 

We do need to find consistency, I agree, but we also have to remember that a good chunk of the squad have not played regular first team football, most certainly not with European football added in, so they are still learning and adapting. It's a young squad as well so there will be inconsistent form. There are far better signs already than there were with Pedro, and with Murty. 

We need to have patience, and yes we need a creative midfielder. Not every position would have been able to be filled in one transfer window. Gerrard has shown the intelligence that he will make that a priority in January (along with a striker please)

5 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

Its you that keeps using the word madness :lol:

its not a terrible decision either - we have the best Goal Difference in the league - ffs we must be doing something right :lol:

I think its been apparent for a while that we need some more quality in the midfield, but that quality isn't readily available and to be honest with all the issues we had when Gerrard came in, there's is no way he is going to cover everything in every position in a single transfer window - its impossible - hindsight or not.

He brought in 3 central midfielders, it should have been someone who can give us a bit of quality instead of Ejaria or Sid. That was Gerrard's choice to bring them in instead of a playmaker. It's an essential part of the team. If he rates Flanagan so much keep him at LB and spend the Barasic money on a creative player, or the Grezda money. He chose to ignore that issue and we are paying for it. Livingston away we lost because we couldn't break them down, the filth away we lost(might have lost anyway) because we couldn't get a foothold in the game as nobody could pick a pass and we are now out of a cup because despite having all the ball we couldn't do anything with it.

Spin it anyway you want, not signing a midfielder capable of creating chances is costing us big time.

1 hour ago, gogzy said:

Forums has been the same since I signed up.

Every time we lose a game or drop points or get put out of a cup, the forum implodes.

After the Aberdeen game at the start of the season, almost everyone agreed that we should have won that and we got robbed,  yet it' now being used as a stick to beat him with.

There was more than one occasion when people wanted Walter Smith sacked after a poor result or performance :lol:

Just now, Negri's lovechild said:

So we have an inexperienced manager, In his first role, having had to clear out a good chunk of the previous squads in one transfer window and people are saying he is on shaky ground? 

This is the guy we have to give the time to. There is quite clearly progress being made. People are saying about the league position but two or three wins on the spin and we will be right up there. 

We do need to find consistency, I agree, but we also have to remember that a good chunk of the squad have not played regular first team football, most certainly not with European football added in, so they are still learning and adapting. It's a young squad as well so there will be inconsistent form. There are far better signs already than there were with Pedro, and with Murty. 

We need to have patience, and yes we need a creative midfielder. Not every position would have been able to be filled in one transfer window. Gerrard has shown the intelligence that he will make that a priority in January (along with a striker please)

Who said that?

Archived