Pena

MrMckee

12 hours ago, Misteral said:

He will (and should) be given an opportunity to impress, though I expect he won't.

Why should he given another opportunity when he had umpteen last season? Grezda has been very unfairly compared to him by some on here recently. There are similarities in that they both arrived here unfit. Pena in June, Grezda in August. After a couple of games, you can see Grezda getting up to speed with things and able to play 90 minutes. Until we punted him, Pena was still blowing out his lardy arse after ten minutes. If Grezda can achieve in three months what Pena couldn't after six then that amply illustrates what a waste of time and money he is. His attitude stinks and he's a sideshow and distraction which we don't need this season. Fuck him.

2 hours ago, don logan said:

Why should he given another opportunity when he had umpteen last season? Grezda has been very unfairly compared to him by some on here recently. There are similarities in that they both arrived here unfit. Pena in June, Grezda in August. After a couple of games, you can see Grezda getting up to speed with things and able to play 90 minutes. Until we punted him, Pena was still blowing out his lardy arse after ten minutes. If Grezda can achieve in three months what Pena couldn't after six then that amply illustrates what a waste of time and money he is. His attitude stinks and he's a sideshow and distraction which we don't need this season. Fuck him.

I'm no great fan but we're paying his wages so SG may as well find out if he can actually offer something. If not, then it's damage limitation. 

Gazza was a functional alchoholic who ceased to function near the end his playing days and has, without question, made a cunt of himself since playing for Rangers.

Pena was a non-functioning alcholic who, despite in the wrong frame of mind, still scored a lot of goals per minutes on the pitch.

Same disease yet Pena doesn’t get any slack from some quarters.

yes, he wiped his nose on a pair of Rangers shorts but Gazza actually pissed on a Rangers player.

Cant condone/accept one and castigate the other.

give the guy a chance and if he doesn’t contribute then get him out the door.

11 minutes ago, beararse said:

Gazza was a functional alchoholic who ceased to function near the end his playing days and has, without question, made a cunt of himself since playing for Rangers.

Pena was a non-functioning alcholic who, despite in the wrong frame of mind, still scored a lot of goals per minutes on the pitch.

Same disease yet Pena doesn’t get any slack from some quarters.

yes, he wiped his nose on a pair of Rangers shorts but Gazza actually pissed on a Rangers player.

Cant condone/accept one and castigate the other.

give the guy a chance and if he doesn’t contribute then get him out the door.

Gazza and Pena are not a good example mate.

Pena and Gazza can never ever be classed as similar despite having the same disease ..... they are worlds apart in a football sense ... Gazza was a genius ... Pena is nowhere near that calibre nor will he ever attain it ... even if he get's sober he will never be able to lace Gazza's boots.

People who do not have an alcohol problem to blame for their stupidity still do stupid things ... and we all regret doing them.

That being said ... we have a few choices ... We try and sell him come January .... or he gets told to shape up and prove himself .... or we send him out on loan to help cover his wages ... if none of these choices come about successfully ... then we will have to suck it up and end his contract.

Either way barring a miracle he is not the player we were led to believe he was when Pedro introduced him to our Club.

:UK:

2 hours ago, Bobby Hume said:

Gazza and Pena are not a good example mate.

Pena and Gazza can never ever be classed as similar despite having the same disease ..... they are worlds apart in a football sense ... Gazza was a genius ... Pena is nowhere near that calibre nor will he ever attain it ... even if he get's sober he will never be able to lace Gazza's boots.

People who do not have an alcohol problem to blame for their stupidity still do stupid things ... and we all regret doing them.

That being said ... we have a few choices ... We try and sell him come January .... or he gets told to shape up and prove himself .... or we send him out on loan to help cover his wages ... if none of these choices come about successfully ... then we will have to suck it up and end his contract.

Either way barring a miracle he is not the player we were led to believe he was when Pedro introduced him to our Club.

Agree with everything you said bar the first part of your reply. Not classing them as similar players, i'm classing them as similar alcoholics. One (Gazza) has been given every opportunity to prove to people he can come good and keeps failing, the other (Pena) would be denied the opportunity to prove himself if some folk on here had their way. 

Rangers, as his employer, should be doing everything to rehabilitate and reintegrate him into the work place.

Sadly I am not expecting any of our players, now or in the future, to be as good as Paul Gascoigne. All i'm saying is that Pena deserves a chance now that he's sober.

I actually think he is exactly what we need, a goal scoring midfielder with the knack of arriving in the box at just the right time. It was his play out-with the box which let him down and i suspect a lot of that was down to a severe lack of fitness resulting from his love of the bevvy.

If he still fails to produce the goods, ship him out.  

13 minutes ago, beararse said:

Agree with everything you said bar the first part of your reply. Not classing them as similar players, i'm classing them as similar alcoholics. One (Gazza) has been given every opportunity to prove to people he can come good and keeps failing, the other (Pena) would be denied the opportunity to prove himself if some folk on here had their way. 

Rangers, as his employer, should be doing everything to rehabilitate and reintegrate him into the work place.

Sadly I am not expecting any of our players, now or in the future, to be as good as Paul Gascoigne. All i'm saying is that Pena deserves a chance now that he's sober.

I actually think he is exactly what we need, a goal scoring midfielder with the knack of arriving in the box at just the right time. It was his play out-with the box which let him down and i suspect a lot of that was down to a severe lack of fitness resulting from his love of the bevvy.

If he still fails to produce the goods, ship him out.  

?

Fair dues mate .... everyone deserves a second chance.

We have had a few players like Gazza ...... who only due to their superb talent were rightfully given the benefit of the doubt. 

We are stuck with Pena contract wise so might as well give him a chance ... I'm sure SG will know soon enough if he's worth the effort or not.

I think this could be interesting.

I fully believe Gerrard will give Pena a chance, clean slate like everyone had at the beginning of the season. It will be up to Pena if he wants to make the most of it and play European football for the next couple of years.

Didn’t  one of the backroom staff (Culshaw?) formerly coach in Brazil(?) he’ll be able to tell Pena exactly what he wants on the training ground, and push him.

6 minutes ago, TheHammer_WATP said:

I fully believe Gerrard will give Pena a chance, clean slate like everyone had at the beginning of the season. It will be up to Pena if he wants to make the most of it and play European football for the next couple of years.

Didn’t  one of the backroom staff (Culshaw?) formerly coach in Brazil(?) he’ll be able to tell Pena exactly what he wants on the training ground, and push him.

I get where you're coming from but Brazilian's speak Portuguese and Mexican's speak Spanish ?

He's our player so Gerrard may as well have a look at him in training but he'll be gone in January I reckon. 

I'd imagine with the money spent on him that the board would also ask Gerrard to run the rule over him to see if he could be of use before binning him completely. Pedro was a dud but Gerrard has got the best out of Morelos, Halliday, Tav and Candeias so the board may ask him to give it a go. 

Unless Pena was a bad influence etc in training (which I don't think he was other than being unfit) then it'll do no real harm letting Gerrard test him out. 

21 minutes ago, TheHammer_WATP said:

Kirkwood has been appointed Loans Manager - if Pena is as shite as he has been made out to be his name won't even cross Gerrard's desk and it will be between Kirkwood and Mark Allen to dispense with his services - if on the other hand his name does reach Gerrard it will be with Kirkwood's recommendation which will be in my opinion a reasonably good thing. At that point I assume it then becomes Gerrard's call.

1 minute ago, beararse said:

We can if we want but then we'd run the risk of looking like a fud with no moral compass or standards

Moral compass :lol:

Signing for a club knowing you’ll never be fit enough or give enough of a fuck to even try and make it. Where was his moral compass? 

Fuck him we owe him nothing. To be fair you’re the one who looks like a fud comparing him to Gazza.

21 minutes ago, Big Al II said:

Moral compass :lol:

Signing for a club knowing you’ll never be fit enough or give enough of a fuck to even try and make it. Where was his moral compass? 

Fuck him we owe him nothing. To be fair you’re the one who looks like a fud comparing him to Gazza.

Read the posts. I'm comparing their alcoholism and behaviours, not their professionalism or talent.

Regards Pen'a moral compass, i would suggest that got lost when he became an alcoholic. That's how it tends to work.

As for him not trying to make it, he scored 5 goals in 14 games with the majority of those appearances as a sub. Imagine what he is capable of when he actually tries.

Since we paid a significant fee for Pena and are going to be liable for his wages then we need to be pragmatic about the situation.  Some of the comments on here about him are ridiculous.  We have had plenty worse players than Pena.    Anyway Gerrard will decide what happens to him when or if he comes back.  We really don't have much to lose if we can see how he can perform under the current managerial team.    He is still only 28.  Played 19 games for Mexico (was in the 2014 WC squad)  has made 283 appearances in club football with 66 goals.   There is a player in there if he applies himself.     Whilst with us he played in 14 games scoring 5 goals with an average time of 44 mins for each appearance.  The longest he was on the pitch was 85 mins in the game at St Johnstone where he scored twice.  

Soon, we will be paying this guys wages again, which I believe is quite a considerable amount. To not give him another chance, would be short sighted.

If we can get some sort of return from him on the pitch, then it lessens the financial blow for what we have already invested in him.

It also raises his profile in a positive way, and possibly enables us to sell him and recoup some losses.

ATM no-one is going to touch him with a barge pole.