Sky to offer £30m a season for SPFL exclusive rights

kris1984

To put this in perspective Denmark currently get £45m a season....

SPORTS are set to plough £100million into Scottish football.

They have lined up a three-year TV rights deal worth a whopping £30m-plus per season, blowing BT Sport out of the picture.

They would take over coverage of the Ladbrokes Scottish Premiership from the 2020-21 campaign.

And it could leave fierce rival BT Sport with NOTHING.

The deal would see Sky Sports claiming at least 60 matches a season, including the coveted four Old Firm derbies, plus end of season Premiership play-offs.

The present joint TV agreement between the stations — with each screening 30 matches a season and BT Sport also covering the Premiership play-offs — is worth just £21 million a year.

Darrell Currie presents BT Sport’s coverage of the Premiership

Industry sources were last night indicating BT have been ‘blown out of the water’ with their attempt to extend their coverage and are bracing themselves for bad news.

3 minutes ago, Tak3rNo1 said:

It's ridiculous how badly we are suffering because of the SPLTV debacle many years ago. Rejecting that Sky offer when the league was doing well fucked things massively and we've never really recovered in terms of revenue

I’ve wondered a few times where we would be right now if they never fucked that. I think we got between 10-20% what the top English clubs got from Sky back then. If that had continued...

Let’s be honest we’re not going to get much money in a new tv deal whoever gets it.

This is due to it being an awkward situation due to it being British rights but obviously for Scottish football.

Sky and BT are more interested in English football nation due to population and figures so Scottish football is an after thought and it’s not like STV have any money to put into the game.

I just hope it’s on 1 channel to whoever gives the most money and happy as long as the games are shown. Not interested in the pundits or commentators as long as the 90 mins are shown.

That’s the problem up here too. He’s an ex Rangers player ex tarrier etc. People think there are too many agendas when not really.

Also we need a half decent highlights programme where games are shown properly like the old Scotsport.

13 minutes ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

I hope Sky get it. Saves signing up for 2 different companies. Also BT are cheapskate bastards who only use a couple of cameras and their commentators are mostly cunts.

Unfortunately, assuming we get European football again next year, that will still be on BT.

The current split with league matches on BT as well makes it just about worthwhile taking their package, whereas it would be a lot to pay just for European games.

12 minutes ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

I hope Sky get it. Saves signing up for 2 different companies. Also BT are cheapskate bastards who only use a couple of cameras and their commentators are mostly cunts.

The cameras are embarrassing for games especially ones not on live.

Think it was St Mirren Kilmarnock a few weeks back and they weren’t sure if the ball went over the line and there wasn’t even a camera close to it.

I know people might think who cares but it’s an all round product and there’s not even a camera to look at a major decision in our top league. It’s really poor.

3 minutes ago, Ryju84 said:

Random question (and I may be proved wrong)...but did Sky or anyone care about throwing this amount of money in when we were down in the lower leagues?

Or is it all about Rangers and/or Gerrard effect 

They are paying for 4 games a season that’s all. 

Just now, psb07158 said:

Compared to some other leagues in Europe it's still not a great deal of money tbh. Hopefully can get it over the line, build our product over the next few years then get more money in 3 years time. 

3 years of Andy Walker commentating our games makes me want to cry though. Even though Provan played for them, he's nowhere near as much of a bitter cunt

Good co-commentary from Provan.