Gareth McAuley

Lloyd

His experience will be invaluable to us.  I always thought we lacked Clint Hill's presence last season despite his faults but with McAuley we have someone who has done it for most of his career at the highest level.  He isn't a household name but then again neither was Weir when he came in... and if memory serves me right a lot of people weren't too chuffed when we got Weir.

What I noticed most was off the ball he would marshall our back line.  He knows what he wants and he got it more often than not on Saturday and for the last 15 against Motherwell.  For me he is our first choice beside Goldson and for every 'big' game we now play going forward. 

37 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

I'd say this was lunacy, but I've gone right off Worrall and something's not quite right with Katic.

Would it not be lunacy to pick a player you have went right off or another who doesn't seem quite right? It would seem more logical for me to pick big Gareth in this case.

9 hours ago, bluenoz said:

Still wouldn't play him against Bacca on Thursday but defo against Griffith. No chance that ugly cunt gets to blow his nose or tie scarves on corner flags if McAuley is around.

McAuley is a proper siege defender.. I suspect we may need that on Thursday. He is also incredible at set pieces.

16 minutes ago, PRW. said:

I want to see him against a pacey, lively striker. 

Pace is something McAuley has never had, hes relied on his brain to be a step ahead. His test will be if he is still as quick in the head as he was.

I think he will be fine, I know it was only Motherwell but Katic had an absolute nightmare and won fuck all in the air against their forward then big Gareth came on and timed everything perfectly and he never won another header.

Not seen his name mentioned in a while but the obvious comparison is David Weir, no pace what so ever but with his positioning he didn't need it - for me positioning is everything for a CB, you have to read the game/flight of the ball/runners in behind. Of the three other than Goldson, McAuley has been strongest in this department (from the limited minutes I've seen from him).

18 hours ago, plumbGER said:

Would it not be lunacy to pick a player you have went right off or another who doesn't seem quite right? It would seem more logical for me to pick big Gareth in this case.

Aye, that was my point.

Ordinarily, picking a 39 year old as first choice who couldn't get a game for a championship club would be lunacy, but the other two are so far off the boil of late that you'd struggle to justify picking either of them over him.

21 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Aye, that was my point.

Ordinarily, picking a 39 year old as first choice who couldn't get a game for a championship club would be lunacy, but the other two are so far off the boil of late that you'd struggle to justify picking either of them over him.

Aye after I re-read it I picked it up different:tu:

53 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Aye, that was my point.

Eh?

He hasnt played in the Championship for 8 years???

1 minute ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

You're being a bit of a nit picking cunt here. What league are the club who released him playing in this season?

He played 9 games in his last season with West Brom.

What league were West Brom playing in that season?

19 hours ago, PRW. said:

I want to see him against a pacey, lively striker. 

Pace is something McAuley has never had, hes relied on his brain to be a step ahead. His test will be if he is still as quick in the head as he was.

I think he will struggle one on one with anyone with pace looks a decent defender but doesn't look quick.