New 3rd UEFA Competition

cushynumber

5 minutes ago, WATP-FOREVER said:

Cyprus are ahead of Scotland in the EUFA Nation rankings ffs.

That is evident how far Scottish football has fallen.

18th Cyprus.

19th Serbia 

20th Scotland 

https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/#/yr/2019

Cypriot clubs achieved some remarkable results in European competition in recent years, but I think that bubble has now burst, it's the other countries below us with especially the eastern European nations with the oil riches, and the newer nations whose football structure is improving like Slovakia,  who are the biggest threat.

Scotlands coef has went up a good bit this year thanks to us adding more points than normal.  I think we'll make top 17 but it won't last because we have teams in Scotland who qualify for the EL but should be nowhere near it I.E. St. Johnstone.

-IF- this plan goes ahead then I can see the UEFA competitions being scrapped altogether with that new breakway super league being formed by the Real Madrid, Barca etc... with the remainder playing in a type of Atlantic League similar to the one proposed before.

Just killing European competion UEFA.

They only care about the big money clubs. 

The seeding system is a joke specifically designed to keep those big money clubs in and smaller clubs out. 

This new competion will pretty much destroy European football. 

A new 32-team European club competition will be launched in 2021, governing body UEFA has announced.

In a statement, UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin said there was a "widespread demand" for a third competition to slot under the existing Champions and Europa Leagues.

UEFA said the third tournament has a working title of 'UEL2' would mirror those two tournaments, with 32 teams split into eight groups of four breaking into a last 16, eight, four and then two.

But teams who finish third in their Europa League group will fall down to the new tournament and face teams who finished second for a place in the last 16.

Like the Europa League, it will take place on Thursday nights but what does it mean for Scottish clubs?

Scotland will still have the same overall quota for the three competition but it does mean that there could be more opportunity for the likes of Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts to play group stage football.

While celtic and Rangers both reached the Europa League groups this season, Aberdeen were the last outside of those two to do it back in 2007/08.

Since then, they've lost out in the qualifying rounds as have Motherwell, Hearts, St Johnstone and Hibs.

UEFA President Aleksander Čeferin said: “The new UEFA club competition makes UEFA’s club competitions more inclusive than ever before. There will be more matches for more clubs, with more associations represented in the group stages. This competition was borne out of ongoing dialogue with clubs through the European Club Association. 

“There was a widespread demand by all clubs to increase their chances of participating more regularly in European competition. This has been achieved with a strategic approach, and in accordance with UEFA’s objective of having both more quality and more inclusivity in our club competitions.”

The new tournament will also have a knock-on effect to the the Europa League as it is cut from 48 teams to 32, and a new round will be put in place before the round of 16 for teams dropping down from the Champions League.

Full details on the tournament will be announced in 2019.

why add an extra tournament that looks like all it does is screw over the smaller nations, never understood why they don't split the current fixtures rather than CL on Tuesday Wednesday and the EL on Thursday all in the one week play it over two the CL one week then the EL the following midweek

10 minutes ago, kanjo said:

Scotlands coef has went up a good bit this year thanks to us adding more points than normal.  I think we'll make top 17 but it won't last because we have teams in Scotland who qualify for the EL but should be nowhere near it I.E. St. Johnstone.

-IF- this plan goes ahead then I can see the UEFA competitions being scrapped altogether with that new breakway super league being formed by the Real Madrid, Barca etc... with the remainder playing in a type of Atlantic League similar to the one proposed before.

we went from 26th to 20th basically because of us. but getting ahead of Croatia or the Czechs is an ask exactly because the other teams in our league are dreadful in europe

1 minute ago, cushynumber said:

we went from 26th to 20th basically because of us. but getting ahead of Croatia or the Czechs is an ask exactly because the other teams in our league are dreadful in europe

The last i read (a few months ago now, to be fair) we were closing in on the Swiss and Croatian leagues and were only within a few wins of doing that.   As I say I think we'll get there but we won't maintain at as only two teams are really capable of doing it as you say.

2nd and the cup should be for the EL, with the Cup being Q2 so that the inevitable failure leads to another chance, and the final spot should be this new comp outright. 

Scottish football committed suicide voting us out and the likes of Hearts, Hibs and Dundee United as going concerns will know that only too well.

5 minutes ago, hammer time said:

why add an extra tournament that looks like all it does is screw over the smaller nations, never understood why they don't split the current fixtures rather than CL on Tuesday Wednesday and the EL on Thursday all in the one week play it over two the CL one week then the EL the following midweek

They are trying to say it gives smaller nations more games. - which it does. But it gives them more games against shit teams. get used to playing Ufa and the like.

Just now, kanjo said:

The last i read (a few months ago now, to be fair) we were closing in on the Swiss and Croatian leagues and were only within a few wins of doing that.   As I say I think we'll get there but we won't maintain at as only two teams are really capable of doing it as you say.

2nd and the cup should be for the EL, with the Cup being Q2 so that the inevitable failure leads to another chance, and the final spot should be this new comp outright. 

Scottish football committed suicide voting us out and the likes of Hearts, Hibs and Dundee United as going concerns will know that only too well.

still 5 points from the swiss - which we were at the start of the euro run almost.

1 hour ago, kanjo said:

Nah, an elite European league wouldn't leave space for a biggish Atlantic league. 

The top 16 will be almost impregnable, and only other teams from the 5 big nations, England, Italy, Germany and France and Spain, or inclusion from Portugal and Holland, or a rich eastern European/Russian team will occasionally be enabled in (probably dependant on financial guarantees and sponsorship agrements with the teams coming in and out too).  There will be no direct competitive guarantee in to the top league, will all be down to finance, viewer potential and sponsorship.

The rest of Europe will still have domestic leagues, creating interest for real local football fans, and they will mainly be feeder clubs or even "B" teams for the elite.  

It'll work just like the Eurovision song contest does the now, but more heavily weighted to the top 16-20 clubs in the big five nations. 

Also the elite teams would no longer be playing most games at home venues, they'd be franchised to travel all round Europe, even to the far east, South America and  the oil rich Arabic nations to play each other. 

8 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Nah, an elite European league wouldn't leave space for a biggish Atlantic league. 

The top 16 will be almost impregnable, and only other teams from the 5 big nations, England, Italy, Germany and France and Spain, or inclusion from Portugal and Holland, or a rich eastern European/Russian team will occasionally be enabled in (probably dependant on financial guarantees and sponsorship agrements with the teams coming in and out too).  There will be no direct competitive guarantee in to the top league, will all be down to finance, viewer potential and sponsorship.

The rest of Europe will still have domestic leagues, creating interest for real local football fans, and they will mainly be feeder clubs or even "B" teams for the elite.  

It'll work just like the Eurovision song contest does the now, but more heavily weighted to the top 16-20 clubs in the big five nations. 

Also the teams would no longer be playing most games at home venues, they'd be franchised to travel all round Europe, even to the far east, South America and  the oil rich Arabic nations to play each other. 

Surely the likes of Ajax, PSV, Porto, Anderlecht etc will be in the same boat though.   Will be an interesting decade to see how it works out tbh.

Just going to place this here...

Also not really seeing the 'every nation in Europe will be involved in all 3 competitions... And up to 20 national champions will be involved in the group stages?

Looks like absysmal to me. Also should have had alarm bells when the example they used was AC Milan...

Football: celtic lead the way in drive for new European contest

celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell wants more European football

Make this ride feel more like a race!

Find out more

Sponsored by Garmin

ADVERTISEMENT

celtic are at the forefront of organising the new third European competition, Rapid Vienna director Raphael Landthaler has revealed Uefa are set to give the green light to a third European trophy, which would reduce the number of teams in the Europa League.

20 comments

The idea is been driven by the European Club Association and would certainly offer up more opportunities for Scottish football to reach the Group Stages of all competitions.

And now Rapid director and ECA member Landthaler has revealed which clubs are driving the idea.

He said: "We have another meeting to confirm the plan on Tuesday.

"I am in the taskforce charged with delivering the plan, alongside celtic, Ajax and HJK Helsinki.

"The model will have all three competitions having 32 teams in their Group Stages.

"Up to 20 national champions will be guaranteed a place in one of the Group Stages.

"Every nation in Europe will be represented in all three competitions - the top nations won't get any more places.

"That's attractive for countries like Austria, Scotland or the Netherlands.

"For example, this year AC Milan could have been in the Group Stages of the new competition.

"Presuming Austria does not regress in the coefficients, we would have a team in the Group Stages of all three competitions by 2020.

"Uefa will guarantee the flow of money throughout all three competitions - the new tournament will have the same money as the Europa League.

"It's provisionally called EL 2, but Challenge League is another name for it too."

It will be the first time since the Intertoto Cup was disbanded in 2008 that Uefa will have three club competitions on the go.

celtic chief Peter Lawwell earlier this year called for the Europa League to be expanded and the Hoops now seem to be behind the move for an extra competition.

36 minutes ago, kanjo said:

Surely the likes of Ajax, PSV, Porto, Anderlecht etc will be in the same boat though.   Will be an interesting decade to see how it works out tbh.

That's where someone with money (the likes of Abramovich the rich Asians and Arabs )and desire to break in to the top league would probably invest half a billion or so. 

There was a time not so log ago when us (and cellic) were top 20-30 like the above teams, think we are way off it now, and no-one with sense is gonna spend even a few hundred million on cellic (not even their "billionaire" fan owners). 

Trying to see the positives in this - more chance of euro league matches into december and even win this trophy.

I thought when I read this that it was allowing more teams into Europe until I realised it was just the Europa league being split. No chance Europa League II will get anything like Europa League I money.

Rangers are a Champions/Europa League team in a Europa League 2 nation. We're always going to be dragged down by the crap teams below us going out in the first or second qualifying round.

The only advantage I can see in this is that we will probably be in a group euro contest every year. That means guaranteed income. The names we will be playing may not be illustrious, but given we currently average £1M Income per euro game it's almost guaranteed good income.