Loan Manager

JCDBigBear

Just now, JCDBigBear said:

When the Club announced they would appoint someone to be responsible for our players out on loan whilst it sounds good in theory, it seems to me to be an unnecessary addition.  It's the kind of job one of our scouts or existing staff could do, particularly at this point in time.   Our players out on loan are Pena, Herrera, Hodson, Docherty, Dodoo, Alnwick, Holt plus 2 younger players Rudden and Bradley.     Of these players there is basically no chance of Herrera, Hodson, Dodoo, Alnwick and Holt ever being back playing for us.  Pena depends on Gerrard.   Effectively the only players we need to keep watch on are Docherty and the two youngsters.  Hardly a full-time job.

That might be the case for now but what of the future? it wont always be the case that we have a raft of players out on loan just because  we cant get rid of them, we want a procession of young players who are ready to step up into the first team squad and going out on loan is a part of that process, just because they are out on loan they are still Rangers players, keeping regular contact with them, looking at their form checking that they are doing the things they should, eating correctly, following through with training regimes and behaving properly off the field, its important that young players out on loan know that its not a case out out of sight out of mind and that they are still part of Rangers future

If this is something gerrard and his staff have requested and are familiar with from Liverpool or elsewhere, then I would be inclined to go with it. The players presently out on loan are the product of failed management and a worse than poor signing policy from years past.Moving forward and judging present signings I think it fair to assume an improved signing policy and the likelihood of many players with much more potential than previous managers have achieved. With this model in place a loan manager at a big successful club like Rangers will be more of a necessity rather than some sort of luxury as suggested in the op. In my opinion.

18 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

He could also be tasked with scouting potential loan signings? As we have seen this season, getting the right players in can benefit us using the loan system.

I think this is also part of his role too working alongside Allen, Gerrard and our scouting team. It's all mentioned on our official site if someone is able to dig it out.

I think it is professional to have this sort of appointment in a club of our size. If you think loan players are on loan because they have no future with us then it is unnecessary but if you consider the loan system as important in developing our younger players it is common sense.

Players and clubs have a point of contact, without having to go through Gerrard who can focus on the first team squad. As others have suggested, it will unlikely be 'just' a management position but will involve an element of scouting and other activities that can help us. 

Just now, Laudrup1984 said:

I think this is also part of his role too working alongside Allen, Gerrard and Ulf scouting team. It's all mentioned on our homepage if someone is able to dig it out.

I'd have thought it would be tbh, didn't read the full article when he was appointed but it's easy enough to grasp what his likely duties would be. Whilst he can keep an eye on our players he can also identify others and, say he's down south for a weekend, he can take in a fair number of games and not just the games our loan players play in.

1 hour ago, JCDBigBear said:

When the Club announced they would appoint someone to be responsible for our players out on loan whilst it sounds good in theory, it seems to me to be an unnecessary addition.  It's the kind of job one of our scouts or existing staff could do, particularly at this point in time.   Our players out on loan are Pena, Herrera, Hodson, Docherty, Dodoo, Alnwick, Holt plus 2 younger players Rudden and Bradley.     Of these players there is basically no chance of Herrera, Hodson, Dodoo, Alnwick and Holt ever being back playing for us.  Pena depends on Gerrard.   Effectively the only players we need to keep watch on are Docherty and the two youngsters.  Hardly a full-time job.

Jamie Barjonas, Liam Burt, Aidan Wilson, Myles Beerman and Ryan Hardie are all out too

21 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

I'd have thought it would be tbh, didn't read the full article when he was appointed but it's easy enough to grasp what his likely duties would be. Whilst he can keep an eye on our players he can also identify others and, say he's down south for a weekend, he can take in a fair number of games and not just the games our loan players play in.

He'll also liase with players' loan clubs over stuff like their training and act as a point of contact for the players and their loan clubs.

5 hours ago, JCDBigBear said:

Says the manager of the loan manager 

Give over for fuk sake.