Tactics vs 10

Dan Deacon

I know a great deal has been made about when we go to 10 men and how we cope but it is in stark contrast to the opposite. 

The sub at half time and shift of positions which eventually led to candieas playing in the middle effectively had us playing with 10 men as well. It stripped away our width and kept us compact which was exactly what aberdeen needed. We needed to go as wide as possible and get crosses into the box with 2 strikers the box. 

I appreciate Gerrard is still learning and player performance overall also contributed to the pathetic display yesterday but at times I find his selections pre match and subs / tactic changes during it baffling. 

Sorry if a thread already exists and i am covering old ground on this had a quick scan but did not see it. 

They went down to 10 but with our extra man effectively at the back (they left our CHs unchallenged), and Coulibally and Ejaria offering nothing, it made no difference. If anything, they got more success as we opened up without any sort of strategic clue how to make the situation worse for them.

23 minutes ago, Dan Deacon said:

I know a great deal has been made about when we go to 10 men and how we cope but it is in stark contrast to the opposite. 

The sub at half time and shift of positions which eventually led to candieas playing in the middle effectively had us playing with 10 men as well. It stripped away our width and kept us compact which was exactly what aberdeen needed. We needed to go as wide as possible and get crosses into the box with 2 strikers the box. 

I appreciate Gerrard is still learning and player performance overall also contributed to the pathetic display yesterday but at times I find his selections pre match and subs / tactic changes during it baffling. 

Sorry if a thread already exists and i am covering old ground on this had a quick scan but did not see it. 

I don't agree. We always try and play wide and we still had 2 wingers on.

But teams are wise to it, we need more variety.

We had alot of the ball in decent deeper positions with the opportunity to get the ball into the box for Lafferty and Morelos but continued to try and go down the wings.

So predictable and easy to defend against if the opposition is well organized. 

Well we had one wide left afraid to try and get past his man, plus Aberdeen were doubling up on the wide men so it became very difficult to make any space.  

Thought Stevie and his team got the change of formation spot on the players just couldn’t get the job done. 

14 minutes ago, five stars said:

I don't agree. We always try and play wide and we still had 2 wingers on.

But teams are wise to it, we need more variety.

We had alot of the ball in decent deeper positions with the opportunity to get the ball into the box for Lafferty and Morelos but continued to try and go down the wings.

So predictable and easy to defend against if the opposition is well organized. 

We should have been able to overload them and drag them out of position with the width / extra body. playing into the middle without a decent midfield was wrong 

5 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Well we had one wide left afraid to try and get past his man, plus Aberdeen were doubling up on the wide men so it became very difficult to make any space.  

Thought Stevie and his team got the change of formation spot on the players just couldn’t get the job done. 

Agree Middleton was lacking. I would likely have swapped halliday for flanagan and grezda for middleton to actually make use of the left flank which we did not do for 90 mins 

1 minute ago, Dan Deacon said:

Agree Middleton was lacking. I would likely have swapped halliday for flanagan and grezda for middleton to actually make use of the left flank which we did not do for 90 mins 

We had to go 3 at the back and bring on a forward to try and get that man advantage into the attacking areas. I would’ve brought off Flanagan for Laff and Middleton for Grezda. 

You go 3 at the back with Tav given the freedom to get forward with Jack covering any space he leaves open when he is up the pitch. 

2 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Agreed. 

For me it again comes back to centre midfield. Once our wide men are marked out the game we have no creativity to take it through the middle and open them up from there. 

Comes back again to the need for a midfield playmaker  

3 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

We had to go 3 at the back and bring on a forward to try and get that man advantage into the attacking areas. I would’ve brought off Flanagan for Laff and Middleton for Grezda. 

You go 3 at the back with Tav given the freedom to get forward with Jack covering any space he leaves open when he is up the pitch. 

Could have still played 3 at the back moving to 4 if you changed the left side. Halliday playing the left side. 

We all see it differently and none is us are managers but I think the changes he made were shite and cost us getting any result.

49 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

You could sort of see what he was trying to do at half time, but with Ejaria and Coulibaly in the middle of the pitch it was an almost impossible task. 

Desperately need a #10 in January. 

I thought after the changes at half time we had them pinned in, until Morelos got sent off. Gerrard can’t help that ejara and coulibaly don’t have the capability to play a killer ball to create a goal scoring chance.

7 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

Agreed. 

For me it again comes back to centre midfield. Once our wide men are marked out the game we have no creativity to take it through the middle and open them up from there. 

Hardly saw one ball slipped through the channels to get there defence turned or the midfield getting beyond Mo all night. 

Mark Allen should have a big white board with Playmaker at the top and a list of names on it. 

14 minutes ago, Dan Deacon said:

I would drop Middleton back to the subs bench for the foreseeable future after that performance last night. He may be young, but he is still a first team player and he simply didn't want anything to do with that game last night. he couldnt wait to get rid of the ball and even in most, if not all1 v 1 situations he didnt even try to take his man on - just passed it inside.In a team full of poor performances, his was the worst.

6 minutes ago, Dan Deacon said:

Could have still played 3 at the back moving to 4 if you changed the left side. Halliday playing the left side. 

We all see it differently and none is us are managers but I think the changes he made were shite and cost us getting any result.

If you read Micheal Beales coaching blog, you could see what they were trying to do. 

The players just couldn’t get it done. 

6 minutes ago, jackrfc95 said:

Bringing Lafferty on was the wrong decision.

Whenever he plays we can't help but go long which played right into their hands. 

I didn't think we played long tbh when lafferty was on.

Side to side yes. CHs and Jack playing between themselves yes. Trying and failing to find space down the flanks, yes to an extent.

If anything as we failed time and again to go through or round them I was hoping to see us going longer and more direct.

1 minute ago, Courtyard Bear said:

If you read Micheal Beales coaching blog, you could see what they were trying to do. 

The players just couldn’t get it done. 

Haven't read it. You got a link 

How long should we persist with that if it's not working is the next question though. 

12 minutes ago, Dan Deacon said:

We should have been able to overload them and drag them out of position with the width / extra body. playing into the middle without a decent midfield was wrong 

We were trying to play wide as we always do but Aberdeen were wise to it.

So many times we had the ball just inside their half out wide and tried to play predictable passes down the line to the wingers who were well marked and had little space.

We had the option to get the ball into the box earlier from the deep position and put their centre halfs under pressure. Lafferty was screaming at times for the ball to be played in from deep  towards the back post were he was been marked by Logan and had a significant height advantage.

Even if you don't win the first header you get the opportunity from any clearances out towards the edge of the box.

Aberdeen were doubling up in the wide areas and our ‘extra man’ was too high up the pitch and we weren’t getting the ball into good areas to hurt them. 

Many times Jack took the ball from the centre backs and then had nowhere to play it too other than side ways or back. 

Maybe this is what Gerrard meant when he said the players didn’t follow their individual instructions. 

35 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

Agreed. 

Spot on 

24 minutes ago, RowX said:

Aberdeen were doubling up in the wide areas and our ‘extra man’ was too high up the pitch and we weren’t getting the ball into good areas to hurt them. 

Many times Jack took the ball from the centre backs and then had nowhere to play it too other than side ways or back. 

Maybe this is what Gerrard meant when he said the players didn’t follow their individual instructions. 

The most sensible post likely to be made on here all day.

A decent attacking midfield would have torn 10 man dolly to shreds last night.

We don't have one.