Deliver the League Title

Brian Fantana

11 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

Why do you bother supporting Rangers if we're so pish? You get yourself in some states tbh.

Haha! I'm not remotely in a state, sounds a bit like you are Gough.  We are absolutely pish? 

Like everyone else on here, my support of Rangers doesn't depend on how pish we are, or aren't. If that were the case I'd have given up when Mccoists teams were being outpassed by part-timers in the lower leagues.

Just now, gogzy said:

We lost 2 games in 14 during this European campaign.  The way some are going on you would think we got put out in the qualifiers ( which we probably should have considering how new the squad is)

Obviously I am dissapointed, but not angry at them.  They have done us proud in Europe this year.

If we can finish the season still fighting for the title then I'd consider it  some massive improvement.

I get that but manner we went out is honking 

1 hour ago, Bakbear said:

Naw. Winners win titles. 

Footballing men win football matches. 

Leaders win titles 

Steven Gerrard is a straight talking, no nonsense winner who live and breathes football. He is not here for the money he is here for the fight. 

He has taken us from a European laughing stock to a couple of unlucky breaks from qualification out of the group stages of the  UEFA cup having played teams with 10 times our budget. 

Some inconsistency aside he has us back at the sharp end of the league table and has corrected our home form as well as taken us 11 games unbeaten in Europe. 

All in one transfer window. Imagine what he will do with 3 or 4 windows. 

I repeat talk of sacking him is madness

Back at the sharp end? We’re 3rd where we’ve been the last 2 seasons.

This 11 game run has blinded people. We’ve only won 5 games out of 14.

We’re a static team who’ve not made as much progress as people are imagining. Never mind the Sadiq and Ejaria shambles now.

Just now, gsa said:

Haha! I'm not remotely in a state, sounds a bit like you are Gough.  We are absolutely pish? 

Like everyone else on here, my support of Rangers doesn't depend on how pish we are, or aren't. If that were the case I'd have given up when Mccoists teams were being outpassed by part-timers in the lower leagues.

I've yet to see that, can you link me to one of your posts where you're supportive of anything to do with Rangers? 

5 minutes ago, gogzy said:

We lost 2 games in 14 during this European campaign.  The way some are going on you would think we got put out in the qualifiers ( which we probably should have considering how new the squad is)

Obviously I am dissapointed, but not angry at them.  They have done us proud in Europe this year.

If we can finish the season still fighting for the title then I'd consider it  some massive improvement.

Spot on. Its obviously shit to go out of anything. But it was a good run all in all. At least now we can concentrate on the league. Perspective. 

8 minutes ago, gogzy said:

Wouldn't judge Gerrard on the European run, was a good bonus but now that distractions gone he has to focus and show what he can do in the league. I would hope the league forms inconsistency has something to do with the European games but if not then it's a worry. 

15 minutes ago, Tomatasauce said:

Gerrard and him alone is at fault for team selection an his rotational pish I’ve had enough of, a blind man can see it’s doing us more harm than good.

maybe in the epl where you have a super star in your team you’ll try and keep him fresh for big games, it disne apply here play the best 11 every week unless we have injuries, suspensions, potential suspension or dip in form against everybody.

The standard of player we sign comes from a joint decision of him, mark allen and king if he backs them with the cash to sign them, not Gerrard alone can be accounted for this

Nothing to do with playing Thursday-Sunday-Thursday most weeks since the middle of July. Should just play the same players every game.

7 minutes ago, ElBufalo20 said:

Back at the sharp end? We’re 3rd where we’ve been the last 2 seasons.

This 11 game run has blinded people. We’ve only won 5 games out of 14.

We’re a static team who’ve not made as much progress as people are imagining. Never mind the Sadiq and Ejaria shambles now.

And we only lost two out of 14.

1 minute ago, Brian Fantana said:

Wouldn't judge Gerrard on the European run, was a good bonus but now that distractions gone he has to focus and show what he can do in the league. I would hope the league forms inconsistency has something to do with the European games but if not then it's a worry. 

Surely you judge a manager on the whole package and not just cherry pick which competitions suit?

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Surely you judge a manager on the whole package and not just cherry pick which competitions suit?

I'm being realistic, the uefa Cup run for us is money and a bit kudos, nothing else. League titles first, everything else is a bonus, especially when we've went so long without the splfl title. 

7 minutes ago, gogzy said:

I really don't get the argument or justification about how well we done getting through the qualifiers

We spent around 8 million on transfers & alot more on wages, aye the team where new but compared to who we were up against, we should have been getting through that with ease 

Doing well in the group is a different story as the roles where switched, Villareal/Moscow have very expensive squads and we done well to compete overall

Think the fact we caught all 3 teams at a bad time means we should have done a bit better, especially against Moscow but the group games themselves I think we held our own against some good teams.

League form is atrocious though & if it wasn't for the taigs having an off season, by the last few seasons standards, they'd be double figures ahead of us by now.

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Nothing to do with playing Thursday-Sunday-Thursday most weeks since the middle of July. Should just play the same players every game.

Unless injured, suspended or have a dip in form, then yes 100% 

they are professional athletes and train almost every day to be able to handle it

Just now, Brian Fantana said:

I'm a realist, the uefa Cup for us is money, nothing else. League titles first, everything else is a bonus, especially when we've went so long without the splfl title. 

So say, hypothetically, we'd gone on to win the Europa League and finished third in the league, it's still just the league that matters when it comes to judging the manager's performance?

Accepting to an extent that red cards and injuries do not create the platform to decide on the best starting 11 for games, there does seem to be a recent habit of making a lot of changes to the team after each game and that this cannot possibly be good for building the levels of winning form consistency needed to win a league title...…...or (as now proved) to progress in Europe. 

Does SG and his coaching staff know - really know - what their best starting 11 is?   It doesn't seem so to me.  It seems he is determined to chop and change to test out various players to try to gauge whether they have - or can quickly develop - what it takes to become a title winning side.    The season seems to risk taking on the reality of a scoping season where SG gets to grips with management, the league, the way clubs set up to face Rangers, and get to grips with forming a more capable squad.    

Aiming for the league title is one thing.  The thing that SG and the management team and the Board know is so important to the Support.   Knowing it is important.  Believing with deep conviction in his abilities and the abilities of the first team squad that he can lead a team to achieve it this season is another matter.   But the thing is, for this season, with all the chopping and changing it doesn't feel like SG knows his is best 11 - an11 plus subs he can rely on to do the job -  and if that is the case it'll be some task for SG to instil belief into a constantly changing first team that they can mount a serious title challenge this season.  

The season could be yet another work in progress.  Difference from recent seasons is SG is bound to be given time - and presumably financial resources - to complete his Woolies pic'n'mix approach to team selection and settle on the players he really eventually believes are capable of forming a title winning side.   In the meantime it could be more of choose a few different players for the next game and the player-experiment-churn continues.

I suppose all we can do is be more patient and hope that the process gets us to a title in due course.     I don't think there is any credible real alternative. 

Just now, Tomatasauce said:

Unless injured, suspended or have a dip in form, then yes 100% 

they are professional athletes and train almost every day to be able to handle it

So all the sports science experts who recommend players get rest are just snake oil salesman and we should just stick with the same starting XI because they are 'professional athletes'. I mean it's not as if that puts them at an increased risk of injury or anything which would ultimately keep them out the side altogether.

9 minutes ago, The Dude said:

So say, hypothetically, we'd gone on to win the Europa League and finished third in the league, it's still just the league that matters when it comes to judging the manager's performance?

If judging someone's Overall performance then you should take everything into account but let's say he wins the uefa Cup but we don't win a league title for the next 5 years, would he be considered a successful manager then? Would that be acceptable? His remit will have win the league as a top priority, if not number one on the list. Everything else Is secondary