Shooting

bluenoz

Areed we do everything right until we get into that final third. I gets pushed out wide either left or right then back into the box to players who do not head the ball well.

We need a good striker and and a good number 10 who can slide rule passes into the box.

4 hours ago, bluenoz said:

Gerrard was a master at scoring goals from outside the box. ( Mcallister as well ) He got his head over the ball and struck them low and with pace. I'm sure it was more than just a natural talent. He would have practiced this so why can't he instil this into our players? I've never seen a group of players so inept at shooting. In fact we rarely attempt shots from outside the box other than direct free kicks. We always had players who could crack a ball, Albertz, Mendes, Adam etc. I'm even auld enough to remember Andy Penman !! If we had a player with this ability, we might not play everything wide for crosses into an empty space. If we do go after a creative midfielder in January, I hope he knows how to shoot !!

In the modern game there are less chances to shoot from  outside the box - players know how to close down the space much better and this the space to shoot has to be created better - we managed a number of shooting attempts yesterday that were blocked of so far off target it was not worth shooting. 

Yesterday especially for some reason and as they do most games big Lafferty et al like to have a laugh when practising shooting and fire the balls into the stand breaking seats and nearly hitting spectators, great laugh so it is. But when it comes to the real thing they seem to have a mental block about shooting against opponents, don't know whether it's a pass the buck syndrome fearing failure or they know they couldn't hit a coo on the arse with a banjo if they try it.

28 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Practice practice practice then some more practice. 

That's it in a nutshell. I remember watching the Davie Cooper skills programme when I was younger, and one thing that stuck in my mind was a story he told where he used the local bins as defenders and used to spend hours practicing curling the ball round them. Inspired me to practice it. Neighbours must have hated me! 

Point in making is, if Steven Gerrard can t inspire some of these guys they shouldn't be in the game. 

It's obviously easy to sit and home and slate the players but when you watch some of them repeatedly struggle with the basics, controlling the ball, playing a 10 yard pass, measuring in a cross, etc, you really wonder how they've gotten so far in football.

5 hours ago, Bluepeter9 said:

In the modern game there are less chances to shoot from  outside the box - players know how to close down the space much better and this the space to shoot has to be created better - we managed a number of shooting attempts yesterday that were blocked of so far off target it was not worth shooting. 

😂😂😂😂

That is a load of rubbish

9 hours ago, bluenoz said:

Gerrard was a master at scoring goals from outside the box. ( Mcallister as well ) He got his head over the ball and struck them low and with pace. I'm sure it was more than just a natural talent. He would have practiced this so why can't he instil this into our players? I've never seen a group of players so inept at shooting. In fact we rarely attempt shots from outside the box other than direct free kicks. We always had players who could crack a ball, Albertz, Mendes, Adam etc. I'm even auld enough to remember Andy Penman !! If we had a player with this ability, we might not play everything wide for crosses into an empty space. If we do go after a creative midfielder in January, I hope he knows how to shoot !!

Didn't realise andy penman was known as a ball striker. Only saying as he lived a couple of streets down in our scheme in inverness. The son young andy was in our primary and was a very skillful attacking footballer, more in the style of laudrup than albertz. Always thaught his auld man must have been that sort of player. He was playing for caley at that time and looked into his 40s. Never saw him play.

10 hours ago, bluenoz said:

I was trying to find footage with Andy Penman in it but only found when he played for Dundee.  

Anyway,  I was watching this and amused at the commentary... It was so much simpler back then and to the point :lol:

Pisses me of the lack of shooting or nor taking responsibility by taking a man on.

Good example yesterday, Grezda had one man to beat then he would have been clean through on keeper. Surely you gamble going past him? If you lose the ball, so fuck?.

He ended up turning sideways looking for a pass -- chance gone!. We are seeing too much of that atm. Just look at Liverpool yesterday, 2 deflected goals and from Man Utd a spill by the keeper....You know the old adage 'if you don't shoot,  you don't score'.

43 minutes ago, Bearsden bear said:

Pisses me of the lack of shooting or nor taking responsibility by taking a man on.

Good example yesterday, Grezda had one man to beat then he would have been clean through on keeper. Surely you gamble going past him? If you lose the ball, so fuck?.

He ended up turning sideways looking for a pass -- chance gone!. We are seeing too much of that atm. Just look at Liverpool yesterday, 2 deflected goals and from Man Utd a spill by the keeper....You know the old adage 'if you don't shoot,  you don't score'.

You can see by Grezda that his confidence is low - he needs a goal or two and we'll start seeing the playing that Barisic raves about.

I mentioned on another thread shortly after the game yesterday that around the 80th minutes the ball was played out from our box and our entire midfield was 12-15 yards behind our forward line. 

Our midfield has a lot to answer for in our shortage of goals recently. Against Motherwell mid Nov when we scored 7, they all contributed and were pressing right behind our forwards, even Arfield was at times ahead of our forward line.

I think if we can put additional pressure via midfield then we'll be supporting our goals, not just thru Morelos. 

6 hours ago, Bluepeter9 said:

Liverpool had 36 shots on goal yesterday against Man Utd and we can’t find room to shoot against likes of Dundee and Hamilton??

5 minutes ago, WATP-FOREVER said:

You can see by Grezda that his confidence is low - he needs a goal or two and we'll start seeing the playing that Barisic raves about.

I mentioned on another thread shortly after the game yesterday that around the 80th minutes the ball was played out from our box and our entire midfield was 12-15 yards behind our forward line. 

Our midfield has a lot to answer for in our shortage of goals recently. Against Motherwell mid Nov when we scored 7, they all contributed and were pressing right behind our forwards, even Arfield was at times ahead of our forward line.

The lack of goals from midfield has been an issue all season. Alfredo, Tav and Candieas have been shouldering most of the burden. 

Couple of games without  Morales and/or Airfield and we look toothless.