Shooting

bluenoz

McCoist has two golden boots but couldn’t get our players scoring goals against part-time teams.  Gerrard was a world class player but he’s never going to get that level of performance out of these players.  I think the thought process of ‘the manager could do this as a player, so why can’t he get the current players doing it’ is inherently flawed.  Weir was a solid defender for us but by all accounts a horrific coach and Senderos and Kiernan were never going to perform to a high standard up here.

3 minutes ago, Bearsden bear said:

The lack of goals from midfield has been an issue all season. Alfredo, Tav and Candieas have been shouldering most of the burden. 

Couple of games without  Morales and/or Airfield and we look toothless.

Yep, for sure

14 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

We had 16 attempts 

10 minutes ago, WATP-FOREVER said:

Think you'll find we had +20

From outside the box?

Lost count the amount of times someone could have had a go,  instead we played it wide and crossed it.

2 hours ago, Negri's lovechild said:

That's it in a nutshell. I remember watching the Davie Cooper skills programme when I was younger, and one thing that stuck in my mind was a story he told where he used the local bins as defenders and used to spend hours practicing curling the ball round them. Inspired me to practice it. Neighbours must have hated me! 

Point in making is, if Steven Gerrard can t inspire some of these guys they shouldn't be in the game. 

I used the rough cast wall of our coal shed when I was growing up, painted circles on it then had to hit each circle with a shot. 

Honestly it shouldn’t need Stevie to inspire them that drive to make yourself better should be in them all 

6 hours ago, Courtyard Bear said:

With all respect that’s a load of bollocks. 

There is always chances to shoot from outside the box. 

But less than there used to be - oh and we do shoot more than folk acknowledge. 

Even our fans get really irate if we give other teams space to shoot! 

1 hour ago, Smell the hotdog said:

Liverpool had 36 shots on goal yesterday against Man Utd and we can’t find room to shoot against likes of Dundee and Hamilton??

Ok - and of those 36 shots - which I’m assuming were all outside the box - how many scored? Perhaps that’s why Man U lose so much they don’t close down quick enough. 

And if our defence allowed 36 shots we’d be raging! 

4 hours ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Practice practice practice then some more practice. 

Just shooting practice isn't enough imo , our mf is weak , they would need strengh training etc too , but if they don't have the personal drive to have been doing that already , there's not much any coach can do imo 

29 minutes ago, ger4life_1872 said:

Just shooting practice isn't enough imo , our mf is weak , they would need strengh training etc too , but if they don't have the personal drive to have been doing that already , there's not much any coach can do imo 

Shooting is all about technique rather than strength. Practice improves technique.

10 minutes ago, ger4life_1872 said:

You still need the power too get it there , our mf shots from distance resemble a pass back 

I've never seen a midfield like ours who can't put the laces through a ball. Ejaria was the worst at that. Couldn't burst a paper bag !!

3 hours ago, Smell the hotdog said:

Liverpool had 36 shots on goal yesterday against Man Utd and we can’t find room to shoot against likes of Dundee and Hamilton??

We don’t shoot enough when we get near goal.  Two of Liverpool’s goals were deflected yesterday which is always likely to happen when teams park the bus.   We need to get more shots in, doesn’t matter that they won’t all hit the target.

Why wouldn’t you want to shoot or play a great pass to create a goal ??? Baffling , what supporter if had a chance to be out there would constantly play five yard sideways pass when there was a chance to score a 25 yarder or create  a goal , I know wee agree our quality is lacking but surly they can shoot towards the goals ffs 

Grezda, Kent, Candeias, Jack, Arfield - they could practice for 6 hours a day every day and not one of the cunts could rifle a football the way that the OP is talking about.

Lafferty and Tav are probably the only two in the squad capable of shooting from distance but neither fill you with that optimism that someone like Albertz filled you with when bearing down on goal 25-30 yards out.

1 hour ago, bluenoz said:

I've never seen a midfield like ours who can't put the laces through a ball. Ejaria was the worst at that. Couldn't burst a paper bag !!

Noticed Grezda done the same yesterday. He had a chance to put the laces through it and he opted for a side footed attempt instead. I think the players are scared to make a mistake and they go into their shell - more so at Ibrox and they play the safe ball all the time.

8 minutes ago, Bearsden bear said:

Noticed Grezda done the same yesterday. He had a chance to put the laces through it and he opted for a side footed attempt instead. I think the players are scared to make a mistake and they go into their shell - more so at Ibrox and they play the safe ball all the time.

Arfield did the same. Tried to curl it in the top corner with side foot. Put your laces through it and he scores 8 out of 10 times.

12 hours ago, Bluepeter9 said:

In the modern game there are less chances to shoot from  outside the box - players know how to close down the space much better and this the space to shoot has to be created better - we managed a number of shooting attempts yesterday that were blocked of so far off target it was not worth shooting. 

Absolute guff. Even with good defenders you still get deflections and spills etc.

2 hours ago, andyhrfc said:

We don’t shoot enough when we get near goal.  Two of Liverpool’s goals were deflected yesterday which is always likely to happen when teams park the bus.   We need to get more shots in, doesn’t matter that they won’t all hit the target.

This 100%