Shooting

bluenoz

11 hours ago, ger4life_1872 said:

Gerrard can't just say watch this lads and ping 1 in the top corner and suddenly our players all suddenly improve and start doing it , can't pass that sort of ability on 

Worth giving it a try though. It should be a basic for a footballer to know how to swing his foot through the ball to get momentum and keep it straight or even a wee bit swerve with the top of the boot to hit the target. . And it only needs to work once or even twice in a game.........

11 hours ago, ger4life_1872 said:

Gerrard can't just say watch this lads and ping 1 in the top corner and suddenly our players all suddenly improve and start doing it , can't pass that sort of ability on 

No but they should be inspired to practice. It’s the only real way to improve. Do it again and again and again. 

Work out scenarios in training too. It’s getting beyond a joke. 

Remember back in the day,we would use the benches that lined the sides of the gym,on their sides as the goals and the ball had to hit the face of them for a goal to count.It taught youngsters to get over the ball and became second nature. None of these mini practice nets back then. Ofcourse the ball is lighter now and more prone to rising.

6 hours ago, Smile said:

We have always had problems with shots outside the box bar Albertz I cant remember anyone really good at it.

The way the majority of the opposition "park the bus" these days when playing us ..... I think even JA would find it difficult to score mate.

As you have said elsewhere  ... if we had anyone who could head the ball half decently we would be better off .... until we get someone who is we will remain frustrated with the tactics in Scottish football.

:UK:

7 hours ago, Smile said:

We have always had problems with shots outside the box bar Albertz I cant remember anyone really good at it.

We have plenty players capable of shooting from outside the box, getting them on target and troubling the keeper is the issue.

Thought Dorrans might have offered us this but injuries have wrecked his time here.

5 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

We have plenty players capable of shooting from outside the box, getting them on target and troubling the keeper is the issue.

Thought Dorrans might have offered us this but injuries have wrecked his time here.

Yep, pity about Dorrans has the ability to hit a killer pass as well who knows if he will ever be back to full fitness and help us progress.

Just now, Smile said:

Yep, pity about Dorrans has the ability to hit a killer pass as well who knows if he will ever be back to full fitness and help us progress.

If he can get somewhat back to what he was years ago then we would have a good player on our hands, bearing in mind he is 31 he could have another couple of years in him if he regains his fitness and maintains it.

I've been probably over-critical of him in the past but if he was playing through niggling injuries it would undoubtedly affect his performance.

9 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

If he can get somewhat back to what he was years ago then we would have a good player on our hands, bearing in mind he is 31 he could have another couple of years in him if he regains his fitness and maintains it.

I've been probably over-critical of him in the past but if he was playing through niggling injuries it would undoubtedly affect his performance.

I thought he would be much better than he has been and a bit less injury prone hoped to see more of him but sometimes it just doesn't work out for some players at Rangers, we have to hope he gets fit and gets back in the team but that still looks a wee bit away yet.

21 minutes ago, Smile said:

I thought he would be much better than he has been and a bit less injury prone hoped to see more of him but sometimes it just doesn't work out for some players at Rangers, we have to hope he gets fit and gets back in the team but that still looks a wee bit away yet.

I have my doubts he ever will get back to that level but we can only hope.

It's a shame for us that it hasn't worked out so far but it is also a shame for him because he is a good Rangers man.

On 17/12/2018 at 00:31, Bluepeter9 said:

In the modern game there are less chances to shoot from  outside the box - players know how to close down the space much better and this the space to shoot has to be created better - we managed a number of shooting attempts yesterday that were blocked of so far off target it was not worth shooting. 

"The modern game" lol. Gerrard retired less than 3 years ago ffs and Scotland is not the home of modern football.

Vast majority of visiting teams 'park the bus', and there's only 4 ways to deal with it. 

1. Pass and move at pace.. needs good players. 

2. Individual brilliance.. Not easy on our budget. 

3. Make the most of your set pieces. 

4. Shooting from outside the box...in a packed penalty area there's a big chance of a deflection. 

4 hours ago, Bobby Hume said:

The way the majority of the opposition "park the bus" these days when playing us ..... I think even JA would find it difficult to score mate.

As you have said elsewhere  ... if we had anyone who could head the ball half decently we would be better off .... until we get someone who is we will remain frustrated with the tactics in Scottish football.

Don't we have a huge Irishman to head the ball?......yeah sorry found out it was Lafferty who just ducks, fuck me people wanted him for one goal against the scum, well that's just clever.

2 hours ago, Bluepeter9 said:

No but ‘pressing the shooter’ is a tactic that has reached even here! 

Tactics like those have been around forever.

There’s still plenty of long distance goals all around the world at all levels of football , we simply just don’t have any confident shooters from distance.

39 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

If only we had someone with the long distance shooting ability of a Scott Nisbet or Bert Konterman  ..... our worries would be over as these were two of the best long distance shooters we ever had .... :p:

Or Jorg Albertz - 'the hammer' - what a guy.