What the fuck is going wrong and how do we fix it?

born a blue nose

Our midfield is on a par with about 8 teams in this league and well behind one.

Its there that all our problems lie in my opinion because we create nothing and have hardly put a flowing one touch, five pass move together for months.

Teams have sussed that we depend on a tav, candeias, morelos quick one two moves and have doubled up on our right hand side knowing they can leave our other midfielders due to them being so non creative.

45 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Morelos has scored 20 goals so far this season as a centre forward. With the form he's in I'm backing him to hit at least 35.

The 4-3-3 isn't the problem, it's the quality in the middle of the pitch going forward that's the biggest issue, it has been from day one. 

It matters not whether he scores 6 or 60. What matters is the result and winnng 6 in16 is a horrendous statistic. It's a results driven team game and not about Morelos.

4-3-3 is a problem when you don't have the players. You don't keep doing the same and expect a different result, hence 6 in 16.

It needs changed. Morelos suffers from lack of service and if he got more would probably be on 35 already and we would be winning those games.

Yes we badly need creative quality in the midfield, but until such times we get it, we need to change the the format, otherwise a stat of 6 in 16 remans the norm in frequency of wins and we are nowhere near that title.

Tav doubling up with Candias isn't working. Tav taking all the dead ball situations isn't working. Tav defending isn't working. Tav bombing forward isn't working. Coulibaly in the middle isn't working. Worrall in CD isn't working. Middleton isn't working. Morelos having to make his own goals isn't working in delivering the winnng result.

We all see it and 6 in 16 confirms the flaws.

4-3-3 does not work with the personnel we have at our disposal.  6 in 16 does not reflect bad luck, but bad planning. 

Gerrard needs to wake up and smell the coffee. He needs to set up that team differently to suit the personnel we have at our disposal and that includes benching those who are constantly let him down. 

2 hours ago, Badger said:

You will always get the odd game over a season where you play well and don't win.

It keeps happening to us.

Likes of Aberdeen, we have pummelled them 3 times this season and........ only have a draw to show for it.

It's just lack of depth, and lack of killer instinct. It's Gerrards job to put a team out that has the play and gets into dangerous positions..... its the players job to do the rest.

What do we need immediately?

A midfield "captain". A Ferguson, or even Lego muncher type player who will grab a game. Jack is a decent player, but again he isn't good enough to be the main man in the middle - he is an alternative or an option in there. Good enough to compliment the squad.

Creative drive in midfield - Either through work rate or skill, somebody that can do it. Arfield is the only guy we have, and even then.... he is probably only good enough to be an alternative or an option, rather than starter.

A 2nd striker - Either a big traditional target man type player to give a completely different option or... somebody in the Prso mold who does a lot of good work off the ball, and brings others into play. Lafferty has always been a purple patch type playerwith a nack for scoring important goals, and again is an option type player - Morelos, attitude aside, is quality but we are totally reliant on him.

The quality required is going to cost money.

We haven’t pummelled Aberdeen once

11 hours ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

6 wins in 16 is fucking atrocious in anybody's book. Iam going to cut him and the players a bit of slack due to the amount of european games, but things better improve starting from Saturday.

What makes you think we can start on Saturday?

We still have the same tired, sub standard players.

Saturday would be great but we need to pick things up after the break. We need to bring in some bodies and they need to hit the ground running.  If the don't then this season is another write off.

2 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Morelos has scored 20 goals so far this season as a centre forward. With the form he's in I'm backing him to hit at least 35.

The 4-3-3 isn't the problem, it's the quality in the middle of the pitch going forward that's the biggest issue, it has been from day one. 

Morelos has done well this season and scored a good amount of goals but it's still not working with one up front if we played Lafferty up as well we would have won that game. 

3 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Spot on we need a complete new midfield because we are terrible to watch and have been for months, not an ounce of creativity in any of them 

The midfield three is our biggest issue at the moment IMO.  We’re trying to play one dedicated CDM with two box-to-box either side.  Playing Jack and Coulibaly as the box-to-box players doesn’t give us enough creativity from central midfield.  Airfield is probably the best we have for that role but he’s injured.

I’d like to see us change the midfield shape so we’re more like a 4-2-3-1 again.  Go with one dedicated CDM, one box-to-box like Arfiled or Docherty, with the best CAM we can find in front of them.

We’ve lost a few players in Sadiq, Ejaria, and Kent might even go in January (I read his loan expires then).  I’d be happy with Jones and Shankland brought in as cheap squad options up top as long as we spend most of our budget on a CAM.  

1 hour ago, Smile said:

Morelos has done well this season and scored a good amount of goals but it's still not working with one up front if we played Lafferty up as well we would have won that game. 

Morelos doesn’t link up well with a strike partner.  It’s been tried with Cummings and Lafferty and it always looks disjointed.  Morelos is best played as a lone striker what we need is a midfielder behind him to support the attack with runs in to the box.  Say what you will about Pena and Windass but they got in the box and scored goals.  Someone who can play CAM, offers a goal threat, and has a bit of ability with the ball at their feet would be ideal.  

Just watched the highlights back and think this picture explains a part of what's wrong, This team has no vision or creativity instead of passing to Morelos who would have been in 1 on 1 with the keeper he decides to pass to Middleton, The team constantly makes poor choices attacking we don't notice killer through balls or passes to people in space at the edge of the box.

20181227_100521.jpg

10 minutes ago, TMB said:

Morelos doesn’t link up well with a strike partner.  It’s been tried with Cummings and Lafferty and it always looks disjointed.  Morelos is best played as a lone striker what we need is a midfielder behind him to support the attack with runs in to the box.  Say what you will about Pena and Windass but they got in the box and scored goals.  Someone who can play CAM, offers a goal threat, and has a bit of ability with the ball at their feet would be ideal.  

That's the problem there we are a team, not the Morelos show he has to learn to work with a partner or pass rather than shoot from impossible angles.

16 minutes ago, TMB said:

Playing Jack and Coulibaly as the box-to-box players doesn’t give us enough creativity from central midfield.  Airfield is the only we have for that role but he’s injured.squad options up top as long as we spend most of our budget on a CAM.  

3 hours ago, cr3_bear said:

Lafferty has played in the hearts team that beat celtic on two separate occasions the last two seasons. Surely he has some ideas to pass on to our Manager If Craig levein can get the better of Rodgers then any cunt can't. 

I think you need to take the tims attitude into account for those games as well to be fair, they got pumped 4-0 in one of those games, practically unheard of for one of the Old Firm unless its against each other, the other game they made their CL qualifier a priority, I don't for one minute believe they would go into a game against us with anything other than 100% focus

16 hours ago, born a blue nose said:

List what you think. 

We're fucking steam rollering teams, yet losing or drawing. 

We're having more possession, more attacking opportunities, more corners, better players. But drawing or losing. 

I heard the commentary evaluation today saying it was hard to pick a MOTM. 

We just lost, yes lost 2 points at home to the junkies. 

I'm not stupid, there where decent (not motm) performances 

But how the fuck do we fix this. This is not Rangers, we do not have MOTM performance players drawing at home to junk balls. 

In a small note, if this 'negative' thread gets wiped I won't be back. Time to face the truth. The pedophile ring club have just pulled off a league winning performance at the sheep. Now is not the time for niceties 

We get someone in to replace dodgy davie, someone with more than God and more money than sense who will bankroll us and allow us to bring in the kind of players we want to see at Ibrox, and then we accept that we have to give Gerrard time, he's just starting on the managerial road and he's picked one of the worst possible clubs to start at.

What I mean by that is that we as a fanbase have no patience, we expect results to go our way, in many ways we're living on last glories. Now, yes we had a decent European run which surprised many of us but it's had a detrimental effect on our league campaign, we have injuries all over the pitch, we've had non starters brought in on loan and we continue to play Coulibaly who has lost what form he showed and could probably be sent home and not be missed. We desperately need this transfer window and we need to get someone who can actually put the ball in the net alongside Morelos, because laffing boy is not the answer.

Fuck now I'm depressed again.

I hate reading this quote "must win game" but suppose it is  for the club an supporters but for SG it is massive he doesnt get a result here he has no idea the flak he will get you cant talk yourself out of that situation the last thing he needs is the support turning on him