How Do You Judge SG So Far?

BridgeIsBlue

He will be a fantastic manager. He’s not there yet though. Some of his decisions have cost us dearly this year, and frankly we should be about six points (at least) ahead of them this morning, and his decisions are the reason we aren’t.

Having said that, if we buy quality this Jan and our players return to their early season consistency without the distraction of Europe, we will win the league. We will need to beat them at least once again for it to happen though.

6 minutes ago, Laudrup1984 said:

If you give a reason most people ignore it and say it's an excuse. You can have no excuses but have valid reasons why something has not gone quite to plan.

It's all ifs but and maybes but if we had no Europe there is every chance we would have been less fatigued, had less injuries and we could very well have been clear at the top. 

Last season we couldn't cope in the league and that was without Europe, but this season we are trying to do something that even the great European teams fail to do and also great Rangers teams of the past have failed to do. Trying to compete in so many competitions is so tough. Real, Bayern, Man Utd to name a few this season have not found it easy. There has to be an acknowledgement, especially with our young and inexperienced squad that we're going to struggle at times to go Sunday, Thursday, Sunday without encountering difficulties. Again it's not an excuse but it's a pretty valid reason.

We now have one main goal (Scottish Cup too) and our primary focus should be all over the league. We have an unbelievable chance here.

For me the inconsistency from players who have never played at this level or this number of games, and missing key players made the outcome of our season to date pretty predictable.. hit and miss, good and bad.

They're getting to know each other better, as McAllister says there'll be time now to work on things in training that the EL schedule prevented. The winter close will hopefully be ideal for fitness / injury recovery etc too.

I'm sure SG will reflect on his personal mistakes and look to learn from them as well.

So yeah, again agreed, the reasons not excuses are pretty evident. We're in a good position moving forward.

Thinking back to that horrific week where they beat us 4 - 0 and 5-0 back in April. I really did think there was no end in sight and we were heading down a very dark road. Challenging and even beating them seemed a distant dream and seeing Rangers playing proper European football seemed even further away. Now we have been back in Europe and 55 is a real possibility of being sooner than we all expected. 

2 hours ago, STEVEH said:

Improvement made in europe under SG and we are genuinely in a title race with celtic.  This represents real progress.

The board need to back the manager with transfer funds to ensure that the upward trajectory continues.

Not forgetting this is nearly a new first team been together for just over 6 months and was assembled for a pittance compared to what the scum has spent over the last few years.and we will only get better.

29 minutes ago, Broxi said:

Yesterday's result has made a huge difference, there's no getting around that. Largely because the biggest difference Gerrard has made this season is beating the higher obstacles: 

• He got past the first European qualifier
  • then he got through 3 more and qualified for the groups which was a huge achievement
  • Then after making it, we did very well in the group and could have topped it up until the last game
  • He's also took us back to the top of the league for the first time in 6/7 years
  • Now he's given us our first Old Firm victory

The only big obstacle he has left to overcome is winning a trophy, the league especially. And yesterday's result means we're still in 2 this season. For me, he's definitely earned the right at 2 more transfer windows for free. See what tweaks he can make in January. Then see if he can really perfect the squad into the finished product in the summer again. His biggest challenge now is consistency. Picking up wins against the other teams week in week out.

Great post mate you are spot on with that.

Thinking back to when he was first appointed it was a wtf moment for a lot of us. To think we would have that euro run and be equal points at the top of the league by the end of the year was beyond comprehension. There's been some stupid blips but more down to the players not being able to convert chances into goals. 6 months into the role he's doing very well.

The guy has simply got it. A natural born leader.

He's made mistakes and will continue to do so as they all do. Just look at the nick of Jose.

He is only six months into top level management and imo and doing well with pretty much a brand new squad. The players are also still adjusting to his style and the standards he sets. Yesterday showed just what we are capable of and many of those players have never been to that level before nor probably thought they had it in them.

Yesterday was a breakthrough for many of them and they will only get stronger and I look forward to it.

We have exciting and rewarding times ahead.

Gubbing them is a major step forward in my view. Not so much the result but the manner in which it was done.

Beating them was one of the measures I had in mind pre-season to show that we are going on the right direction.

A good European run was another, and closing the gap on them in the League.

Fair to say he has achieved everything we could realistically expect so far with the budget he's had.

Winning the Scottish Cup would make for a great first season.

Got to say capturing the League title  this season would exceed expectation but I would certainly take it!!

1 hour ago, Broxi said:

Yesterday's result has made a huge difference, there's no getting around that. Largely because the biggest difference Gerrard has made this season is beating the higher obstacles: 

• He got past the first European qualifier
  • then he got through 3 more and qualified for the groups which was a huge achievement
  • Then after making it, we did very well in the group and could have topped it up until the last game
  • He's also took us back to the top of the league for the first time in 6/7 years
  • Now he's given us our first Old Firm victory

The only big obstacle he has left to overcome is winning a trophy, the league especially. And yesterday's result means we're still in 2 this season. For me, he's definitely earned the right at 2 more transfer windows for free. See what tweaks he can make in January. Then see if he can really perfect the squad into the finished product in the summer again. His biggest challenge now is consistency. Picking up wins against the other teams week in week out.

A good, solid explanation & one I completely agree with.

It's all about stepping stones & incremental improvements, getting into Europe, staying in league contention at Xmas, beating CFC.

All this has been done with a net transfer spend of approx. £6m. Yesterday's result was by using 5 Scottish players, 4 English & 2 Foreigners, who in total cost approx £5m in fees.

You can judge a manager on how well they improve unperforming players already at the club, I look at Halliday, Morelos, McCrorie & Tavernier.

37 minutes ago, wullyRFC said:

With how poor the peados have been we should be top of the league. 

While I will admit they have been poorer this season than previous seasons, I think you also have to look at the improvement of all the other teams. The last few seasons there haven't been as strong Kilmarnock, Hibs and Hearts teams, Aberdeen have been consistently good the last few seasons but now even teams like Livingston are playing very well.

There are much fewer easy games this season. In the past you'd have a game against Livi or Killie and you'd think easy 3 points but not this season and I think that's why both us and them are dropping more points this season. Not because they are gifting us the opportunity for the league but because the league is harder for both of us this season. 

5 hours ago, sassaaaa said:

When we win things..............

I really hope you had a wonderful Christmas and have a belter of a Hogmanay because you are one miserable bastard who seems devoid of any happiness at times :lol: 

Don’t doubt your love for Rangers though.

8 hours ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Made some glaring mistakes that have probably cost us around 6/9 points. 

Couldnt get the job done against Spartak when they were there for the taking. 

That aside he’s improved us no end, if he can just cure our inconsistency then he will win this league at the first time of asking. 

that's the key, I want the Rapid (@Ibrox) performance and yesterday's intensity repeated in every game.  

I’ve said in other threads that I think we’re very lucky to have him. No doubt he also feels very fortunate to cut his managerial teeth at a club like Rangers. He won’t be a top manager overnight, but I genuinely think he will go on to be a great manager in one of the big leagues. I’m hoping he stays here for a few seasons and gets us back to the top. He will make mistakes along the way and already has, however we shouldn’t shit ourselves every time he does. If we keep the faith with him he will bring us great success.

Overall he's done a great job. A+

We've had a European run no one expected and we're level with the taigs in a genuine title race. 

There have been mistakes made but I'm confident we're in the right hands.

Looking foward to Janaury window and seeing how he adds to his sqaud. 

Overall I think he has done very well. Im very positive for 2019 and still think we have done superbly bringing in a name of his stature.

There has been frustration in some of the domestic games, the dropped points away from home I can almost accept given the fact he is building a team. The real frustration was losing at home to Aberdeen and drawing with Hibs. Just those results alone going as a home win would have us sitting very pretty.

So good getting the win over the beasts though, sets us up nicely for the second half of the season. At least one quality name through the door would be ideal in January.