Reflection on the Warburton era

Ben10

7 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

Sat there with my legs folded in under the seat at a sideways angle. Brutal stuff

Its why I like my seat being in BF2, because nobody even uses their seat :lol:

100% mate that’s why I like away games 😀, can’t understand everycunt wanting to sit for 90 minutes, fuck I hate sitting down in a pub before a game never mind at it lol. Saying that being 5’7 I’m only bashing my legs jumping about like a mentalist ha ha 

33 minutes ago, ElBufalo20 said:

Was scrapping  the barrel cos he had no money to spend.

Think too many people have been over critical of him given the circumstances.

The Cup final though sadly will always be down to him.

When he refused to do a post match interview, then dissapeared over the summer for his "coaching badges" - Barton appears, and we were left with Weir to do the media reports. The writing was on the wall when he refused to move to a permanent home in Glasgow fairly early on.

1 minute ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

When he refused to do a post match interview, then dissapeared over the summer for his "coaching badges" - Barton appears, and we were left with Weir to do the media reports. The writing was on the wall when he refused to move to a permanent home in Glasgow fairly early on.

Is Gerrard not doing the exact same thing?

3 minutes ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I’m sure he didn’t do a post match interview so he could travel to Ryan Bairds funeral.

Most people mentioning playing very good football are referring to the championship but I thought our football was great in the Premiership as well, we just lacked enough quality to finish teams off. Warburton never looked capable of sorting the defence out so if we're going to have that cavalier style he needed better quality at the top end of the pitch to outscore teams, which he didn't have.

Everything up to putting it in the back of the net was very good at times though. McKay absolutely roasting Paterson all game against Hearts was one that sticks out but there were loads of games were we passed teams off the park and still dropped points.

I don't think Aberdeen would have finished above us if Warburton wasn't sacked, but I also don't think he and McParland would have got enough recruitment decisions right to put us in with a good chance to win the league. For every Windass there was a Crooks and for ever Tavernier a Kiernan.

Gave us our respect back initially, and after years of truly, God-awful, unwatchable turgid "football" I think we were all ecstatic to see us playing some really good and entertaining stuff. But then, everyone got wise and Warburton didn't. The semi final was magnificent but in hindsight might well have been the worst thing to happen with them splashing out for Rodgers and us believing we were better than we were. The cup final was just a fucking bad joke. Kiernan basically allowed that rhancid cunt stokes to walk the ball into the net. Halliday screamer counting for nothing added to the pain, and basically negating the amazing win over them. I knew pretty much from kick off we wouldn't win, because of how other teams had sussed Warburton out and that we couldn't adapt. However, he did win the challenge cup which if we went up without winning would have been very embarrassing. Just another example of how bad we were under McCoist.

The departure was messy but don't hold any ill feeling towards him and Weir. We have enough enemies and people who wish and work to harm us to worry about than hold grudges against men who tried but ultimately weren't up to the task.

1 hour ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

What have we won yet?? This winter break is horrendous, the amount of pish getting spouted is absolutely ludicrous.

Your right mate of course you are,  as a guy whose 44 years old that started going during the mid 80’s in our last period of absolute dispare, that I’d say everycunt is indeed deserved of getting at least a wee bit excited, as for the first time in 8 years Gerrard has got us something to get us excited about. Agreed if come may we’ve won nothing then your pessimism is well founded but amidst the hysteria, and not least the meltdown from both the bheasts and the media then you should see we’re on the right track. 

Domt get me wrong I’ll be devestated if we don’t win the league this season for two reasons, the first being were a side that’s lost points that should never have been lost, but more importantly they have been dog shit for the first half of the season, and if we’ve failed to capitalise on that I’ll be gutted. 

The more rational side of me thinks that if we do fail ultimately to get our title back this season, between gerrards undiniable hunger to win, the team backing him (mark Allen included) and Dave Kings willingness to back him, we will 100% stop 9 never mind 10. No way it’s happening, Rodgers is a busted flush, he’s won titles with not a challenge, everycunt knows it. 

46 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Warburton - he was better than McCoist but could only play one system even when the players were incapable of executing that system.  Probably be a good youth level coach somewhere

Spot on and my point earlier. 1st season started well, as in our championship with who he brought in we were flying, no one had done it before and all credit to him, unfortunately for warburton once even championship managers had sussed out to just stick 11 guys behind the ball he had no second way of playing. My biggest worry is we’ve still not learnt, other than mo sending off at Aberdeen when we would have definitely won that game with 11 on the park the teams that have sat in and took points this term there is no argument to actually say we deserved the 3 points (Dundee aside as Laffertys goal was 2 yards on and I could see that from behind the goal it was put into ffs) but that aside we fail and it’s unbelievable with what we have at our disposal. Hopefully Davis and definitely Defoe make them draws into wins. I think they can. 

5 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

See this urban myth that we played great football under Warburton. 

We played some boring as fuck tippy tappy going nowhere football. 

Played fast attacking football in the championship. When we brought in Barton and Kranjcar we were too slow.

Don’t really have anything bad to say about Warbs tbh, perhaps time has helped that. 

I was a bit of a harsh critic of his for his summer signings of Barton, Niko and many more but the reality is he never got a penny to spend in comparison to Pedro/Fraud and Gerrard although I’m not 100% convinced he would have signed better with more money. Definitely liked him more than Pedro but that’s not saying much. I fucking hate Pedro Caixinha. 

2 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

First 6 months of his tenure were golden, playing fantastic football. 

The wheels ultimately fell off at the cup final and he never recovered. 

I'll never forget his comments that nobody died after getting pumped 5-1 at the piggery, or it was just the random nature of football that we lost 4-1 at Tynecastle. 

This. 

Not sure where this praise for a whole season comes from. We dragged ourselves over the line that season, we were crap and predictable from December onwards. Guy was crap and has been found out in every job he’s taken. 

His principals and ideas were and are admirable and if he was at a smaller club i’m sure he would be admired and do well, but at big clubs it’s ultimately results that matter and I think he just didn’t quite get that. In particular I remember him saying he would be talking to, maybe even fining Don Ball, for running the ball into the corner in the last minute when we were defending a 1-0 lead against Falkirk because “that’s not how we play football” and I remember thinking i’d rather have the result than potentially lose the ball and concede and drop points with a minute to go.

Nope. I’m not having this sugarcoated. He was fucking dreadful. We had one good result after 2015 and it was the game against the Tims. He was one of the worst managers in our history above only Pedro and McCoist and not to mention he was an absolute snake. Wish him nothing but failure. Thanks for Tavernier and the first few months of successful -4 bets though.