The Gaffers Naivety

KeyserSoze

7 hours ago, hammer93 said:

I'm not buying into this we should of played the same team that beat celtic nonsense, firstly Goldson was injured so the defence for 1 had to change, secondly do people think that all teams line up with the same formation against us?

When MW refused point blank to change his system against other teams formations this place was going off it's head because he had no plan B, Killie lately have been a constant thorn in our side whether it's been, MW,Pedro,Murty and now Gerrard!!

Gerrard tried something different tonight and for 20mins i had no complaints at how we were performing, the fuck up for the goal changed everything, it gave Killie confidence and it shattered ours in the process, blaming the manager is all fine and well now the result is in, if we played the same team bar Goldson from the last game but still lost the argument would be the manager never tries anything different and he would still be getting it in the neck.

Warburton refused to change his system and people complained about it because what he was doing wasn’t working on a weekly basis.

What Gerrard did last night was nothing more than him trying to shoehorn two big name players who are still short of match fitness into the side in one of the toughest away games we play all season. It’s not the time to try something different, especially coming off the back of the celtic game where what we did worked perfectly.

There’s no way to dress it up as anything other than bad management. There might still be a lot of football left to play but what he did last night has cost us the league. That was a must win game and he fucked it.

9 hours ago, Ivybank said:

Hasn't a clue Gerrard , never seen a manager make so many blunders in a game

shoehorning Defoe and Davis who both can't move

playing Alfredo out wide 

playing worral

not making subs at 1 each

leaving mccrorie out who he said it was his position to lose after the tarriers game

He also said it was up to the new guys to win a jersey. Looks like Gerrard says one thing and does another 

when I seen the lineup last night I immediately thought about what he said after the taigs game 

he’s going to have to stop talking like that as we are not fucking stupid. 

28 minutes ago, Smell the hotdog said:

For what it’s worth I don’t think the formation was that bad. We strolled it until Worrall makes a cunt of it and if Morelos header sneaks in, its game over.

Its more the way we reacted to the goal that worries me. Absolutely no fight, we shat it. It was a terrible goal to give away but you’ve got to be able to put that behind you. 

I think he will go with the diamond again on Sunday.

The team reaction has me rattled too. That's the most worrying thing. It tells me that no matter how much the team is drilled they have that in their locker; it almost like a ceiling to their ability and performances.  It's why I think Sunday will be even worse and the league will be well and truly done.

Barišić is obviously pissing Gerrard off with whatever is going on. You can see that from his recent pressers. 

His delivery and ability to run the wing would have served us well last night, however Gerrard put his relationship with him in front of playing him last night which was childish 

The team that beat the scum barring injuries should have started, they earned that right, the gaffer changed it to accommodate his two new signings and it back fired, why would you change a winning team after lauding them for three weeks, yes Worral fucked up big time and if the gaffer has any balls he will drop him but to change a winning side is a fundamental error that has made him look like the novice he is.

49 minutes ago, sausagetrunks said:

what you think of the first 20 mins where we looked really really comfortable ? unlucky not to be two up and cruising, creating chances, killie where clueless, couldnt get into the game.  

First 20 mins it did work. 

After the equaliser they were gifted, We struggled to get the ball foward as clarke packed the midfield. 

We needed the width Kent and Candieas provide down the wings. I also feel mccrorie energy was badly missed in midfield. 

I think more concerning to me now. Is how the team fell apart after Worrall mistake. 

19 minutes ago, chris182 said:

The team reaction has me rattled too. That's the most worrying thing. It tells me that no matter how much the team is drilled they have that in their locker; it almost like a ceiling to their ability and performances.  It's why I think Sunday will be even worse and the league will be well and truly done.

To play a diamond you rely on your full backs to provide the width. Barisic must play in a diamond, I don’t believe he was injured he’s clearly just fucked Gerrard off.

No fault of Halliday it’s not his position, barisic at lb and Worrall out the team it might be alright.

Worrying thing is he’s went to two tough away places and changed formation. Motherwell we had no time to prepare, Killie we had 3 weeks ffs.

3 minutes ago, Smile said:

If Clarke managed this squad of Rangers players we would already be miles out in front in the league. Gerrard's learning as we go and at times he's struggling. 

I think that's a bit simplistic tbh, but I'd agree Clark excels tactically whilst Gerrard is a novice. I would say Gerrard has a squad of others around him who seem to offer little to make up for his tactical short comings.

5 minutes ago, Smile said:

If Clarke managed this squad of Rangers players we would already be miles out in front in the league. Gerrard's learning as we go and at times he's struggling. 

imagine wee Dick with this squad.... full of movement, we'd be ripping teams apart

5 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

First 20 mins it did work. 

After the equaliser they were gifted, We struggled to get the ball foward as clarke packed the midfield. 

We needed the width Kent and Candieas provide down the wings. I also feel mccrorie energy was badly missed in midfield. 

I think more concerning to me now. Is how the team fell apart after Worrall mistake. 

imo worrall cost us that game, it changed the game, Killie are used to setting up against 4-3-3 and couldnt get to grips with our system, we where on easy street. STEP UP WORRALL. altho i think Gerrard should have changed it at half time but imo worrall fucked us. id rather not see him in a Rangers jersey again. 

1 minute ago, sausagetrunks said:

imo worrall cost us that game, it changed the game, Killie are used to setting up against 4-3-3 and couldnt get to grips with our system, we where on easy street. STEP UP WORRALL. altho i think Gerrard should have changed it at half time but imo worrall fucked us. id rather not see him in a Rangers jersey again. 

Worrall is the game changer for sure. Katic has been dropped for less. Katic and Goldson at CB is our strongest pair. 

Also agree change at half-time was needed. We needed more width. Take a midfielder off for Candieas and a 442 or take a striker off for the 443. 

4 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

Worrall is the game changer for sure. Katic has been dropped for less. Katic and Goldson at CB is our strongest pair. 

Also agree change at half-time was needed. We needed more width. Take a midfielder off for Candieas and a 442 or take a striker off for the 443. 

why was Katic dropped? ive read his father passed away and was given time off, and he never got back in, i would be very surprised.  if worrall started at weekend 

2 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

Defoe off and revert to the system that's been most successful for us with Morelos up front leading the line.

I expected Katic for Worrall too.

Just now, sausagetrunks said:

why was Katic dropped? ive read his father passed away and was given time off, and he never got back in, i would be very surprised.  

He was dropped for a European game and never got a run again, though he did have a bad performance when selected. Confidence must have been shot, compounded by family issues with his dad.

For me, poor man management and the wrong decision to rotate out a player who'd done nothing wrong in his run til dropped initially.

1 minute ago, sausagetrunks said:

why was Katic dropped? ive read his father passed away and was given time off, and he never got back in, i would be very surprised.  if worrall started at weekend 

Manager has never given a clear answer on Katic. 

As for Worrall I wouldn't be surprised to see him start next game. Even last night Manager was saying it was uncharacteristic of him. 

He's got a blind spot for Worrall and it will cost us more points IMO. 

16 minutes ago, Smile said:

I don’t think Clarke’s tactics would work for us at all tbh. I’d give it a month before people were slaughtering him for being too defensive and not playing good enough football.

There is no doubt he got the starting  selection all wrong but once again this team showed a real weakness in mentality last night. 

We were on top ffs, winning the battles, forcing the play despite the selection and still we capitulated after that big lump of wood's fk up. From what I seen Gerrard looked as though he had them really fired up for that last night. From the off we looked the same menacing side that flattened the taigs and then boom, one stupid mistake and it all goes tits up. We went back to looking nervous in possession and indecisive with the ball. So what is it that keeps happening? It's like there's a collective switch in minds of the entire team where the self doubt takes over following a set back. I'm thinking back to games like Livingston, Motherwell, Moscow, games we could and should have won but ultimately didn't. 

Of course Gerrard deserves his share of the blame for last night but the players really should be standing up and taking responsibility when they cross that white line. Where were the leaders to take control last night? Where were they when the team needed driving on? All the effort put in at Ibrox on the 29th, all the hard work in Tenerife..... Gone in 90 frustrating minutes. Hugely disappointing allowing the taigs to open up a gap so soon after the restart as it now throws ALL THE PRESSURE back onto us again.

It chokes me to admit it after the wave  of optimism following the old firm result but second half last night when it really mattered we looked anything but championship material. 

12 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

He was dropped for a European game and never got a run again, though he did have a bad performance when selected. Confidence must have been shot, compounded by family issues with his dad.

For me, poor man management and the wrong decision to rotate out a player who'd done nothing wrong in his run til dropped initially.

He is a goal threat too, he has scored some cracking headers.  Goldson and Katic must surely start at weekend. 

50 minutes ago, sausagetrunks said:

Apparently he was spotted on the drink a couple of times and Gerrard was sympathetic due to his father, but told him to cut it out. Think that has marked his card slightly 

He's learning the game this was always the way it was going to go there will be ups and downs the board brought him in as a commercial decision as they had made such an arse of previous appointments.

He has to learn and quickly.

8 minutes ago, Smile said:

He's learning the game this was always the way it was going to go there will be ups and downs the board brought him in as a commercial decision as they had made such an arse of previous appointments.

He has to learn and quickly.

Hopefully it starts this weekend by dropping worrall. 

Not a tactical expert but think the system last night needs quicker, more mobile centre halfs.

With narrower set up it meant the CD were being dragged out to the wing to cover full backs. (No candieas/ kent to cover) Obviously cost Macaulay a booking initially then the 2nd goal he couldn't  make a challenge.

Would only use 442 (diamond) against diddy teams at home as we are going to get done on the flanks when we lose possession upfield. Big lumbering defenders one vs one with winger isn't going to end well.