State of squad

Boyd9her

I’m really worried going forward to where we are going as a club? Do we have a long term strategy? Or are we putting all our eggs in one basket and hoping we win it this season? Maybe we need to win it. I’m worried as I see a scatter gun approach with no real direction.

We have an aging squad. Defoe Davis MaCauley and McGregor are heading towards the end of their careers. We have players on loan who will probably all go back the parent clubs.

The majority of players we’ve actually spent money on and invested a long term development in are nowhere to be seen. Grezda, Barasic, Katic. We have two major assets in Tav and Alfie, but my worry is come the summer we are ripping it up and starting again. We still have the Mexicans with us and will we be looking for loans for them and the Croatians? 

I still think we can win the league this season but what then? I have no trust in the long term strategy. We are targeting and have been the wrong type of players and will be found out long term

2 minutes ago, Boyd9her said:

I’m really worried going forward to where we are going as a club? Do we have a long term strategy? Or are we putting all our eggs in one basket and hoping we win it this season? Maybe we need to win it. I’m worried as I see a scatter gun approach with no real direction.

We have an aging squad. Defoe Davis MaCauley and McGregor are heading towards the end of their careers. We have players on loan who will probably all go back the parent clubs.

The majority of players we’ve actually spent money on and invested a long term development in are nowhere to be seen. Grezda, Barasic, Katic. We have two major assets in Tav and Alfie, but my worry is come the summer we are ripping it up and starting again. We still have the Mexicans with us and will we be looking for loans for them and the Croatians? 

I still think we can win the league this season but what then? I have no trust in the long term strategy. We are targeting and have been the wrong type of players and will be found out long term

I think you may get shot down on here tonight or tomorrow but I actually agree with your assessment. Our squad will once again look different when we play a Euro qualifier in July if we get there.

4 minutes ago, Boyd9her said:

We need to be developing players but it seems that we are going down the opposite route of targeting players past their best hoping they’ll deliver one last shot of glory..

Young Dallas just signed an extension to his contract tonight.

A goalies age doesn’t matter. 

McCauley is 3rd/4th choice not long term. 

Why the would you not sign the EPLs 7th highest goalscorer ever regardless of age? 

Grezda has been poor with injuries granted. 

Barisic will get there, you don’t get in the Croatian team for fuck all. 

Katic is an issue I want resolved pretty quickly. If Gerrard persists with Worrall I think he ought to owe the fans an explanation as to what’s going on with Katic considering we have all seen he has more ability than Worrall and the fact he’s our player we should be developing. 

4 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Where to even begin with this.

We have Tav, Goldson, Katic, Halliday, Barasic, Jack, McCrorie, Morelos & Middleton who are all under the age of 28. We’ve already got Kamara and Jones coming in next season who are both under 25 and guys like Hardie & Robbie McCrorie who are both young, highly rated and on the fringes of the first team.

We have loans that will end but the only one who will be missed is Kent. Worrall has taken stick all day today for being shit and Coulibaly was written off months ago.

Have we signed older players, yes, but we needed to because we barely have a player at the club who has any experience of high standards or winning things. McGregor, Lafferty & Davis have been the course before. They know what is needed to win trophies and titles & Defoe & McAuley are both model professionals who can influence players and help them strive for higher standards.

Gerrard has only had two transfer windows. With the task he has to rebuild it it was always going to take time to shape the squad and rebuild it to the level we expect. Look at Klopp at Liverpool, it took him nearly three years to mould his squad into what can be considered as being completely his own image and he basically has access to an open cheque book.

It’s a bit ironic that I said people don’t flip flop their opinions that much and then an hour later a post pops up that the OP wouldn’t have even thought about posting if we hadn’t lost last night.

Read my posts after the 29th game. I predicted this would happen 

McGregor still has years in him. Mcauley is out of contract in the summer. Davis has just turned 34 and should have at least next season in him. If he struggles, it's only a 6 month deal til summer we've got him on. Defoe.... the risk one for me on an 18m deal.

We've signed 2 pre contracts who I'm pleased by, even if others aren't convinced. I'm hopeful that several current signings will be like new signings next season too, and really make an impact.

Its bloody hard getting top quality for free or little, which is what we're trying to do.

5 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Where to even begin with this.

We have Tav, Goldson, Katic, Halliday, Barasic, Jack, McCrorie, Morelos & Middleton who are all under the age of 28. We’ve already got Kamara and Jones coming in next season who are both under 25 and guys like Hardie & Robbie McCrorie who are both young, highly rated and on the fringes of the first team.

We have loans that will end but the only one who will be missed is Kent. Worrall has taken stick all day today for being shit and Coulibaly was written off months ago.

Have we signed older players, yes, but we needed to because we barely have a player at the club who has any experience of high standards or winning things. McGregor, Lafferty & Davis have been the course before. They know what is needed to win trophies and titles & Defoe & McAuley are both model professionals who can influence players and help them strive for higher standards.

Gerrard has only had two transfer windows. With the task he has to rebuild it it was always going to take time to shape the squad and rebuild it to the level we expect. Look at Klopp at Liverpool, it took him nearly three years to mould his squad into what can be considered as being completely his own image and he basically has access to an open cheque book.

It’s a bit ironic that I said people don’t flip flop their opinions that much and then an hour later a post pops up that the OP wouldn’t have even thought about posting if we hadn’t lost last night.

Worrall, McAuley, Davis, Defoe & Coulibaly will not be here in five months time. We already went bust on Ejaria & Sadiq. Kent is 50/50. Not sure how long Lafferty's contract is. There is the possibility we will have to replace Tav & Morelos if the right money comes in. I totally get the OP's point. I don't really see a long term strategy in any of that. One long term thing is for sure...... we will still be paying Pena.

4 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

McGregor still has years in him. Mcauley is out of contract in the summer. Davis has just turned 34 and should have at least next season in him. If he struggles, it's only a 6 month deal til summer we've got him on. Defoe.... the risk one for me on an 18m deal.

We've signed 2 pre contracts who I'm pleased by, even if others aren't convinced. I'm hopeful that several current signings will be like new signings next season too, and really make an impact.

Its bloody hard getting top quality for free or little, which is what we're trying to do.

I thought Defoe was 6m loan ??

Average age of our squad from everyone that’s played this season is 26.

Apart from Kent the guys going back on loan aren’t a loss and really were a short term option because we can’t afford to buy a full squad in a transfer window.

In the summer we’ll get a few more loans in to replace the loans going away, we have Jones and Kamara in that will probably end up being squad players. Morelos and Tav will be sold and regardless of how the league ends up we’ll be in a situation where we need to bring in another 6/7 players. Another window signing so many players was always going to be the case. There’s no getting away from it.

We have too much money being wasted on players that don’t contribute enough or anything at all. We need to free up as much as possible and any money spent must be on first 11 quality, we can’t afford more money on squad players, or guys who aren’t ready to play every week.

I’m not happy with the squad but it’s seems more than good enough to compete with celtic.

If we had a more experienced manager we wouldn’t have dropped points to Motherwell and Kilmarnock, but if we had a more experienced Manager who didn’t have the same name we may not have the same quality of players that we do at the moment.

19 minutes ago, MasterD said:

Average age of our squad from everyone that’s played this season is 26.

Apart from Kent the guys going back on loan aren’t a loss and really were a short term option because we can’t afford to buy a full squad in a transfer window.

In the summer we’ll get a few more loans in to replace the loans going away, we have Jones and Kamara in that will probably end up being squad players. Morelos and Tav will be sold and regardless of how the league ends up we’ll be in a situation where we need to bring in another 6/7 players. Another window signing so many players was always going to be the case. There’s no getting away from it.

We have too much money being wasted on players that don’t contribute enough or anything at all. We need to free up as much as possible and any money spent must be on first 11 quality, we can’t afford more money on squad players, or guys who aren’t ready to play every week.

The only signings this year that I see long term to the regular 11 are McGregor, Goldson & Arfield. The rest are either squad players, loanees or failures. The summer window will be a busy one once again.

58 minutes ago, Boyd9her said:

Good for you. What if that didn’t happen? It’s 50/50. We have guys saying we would pump Killie. 50/50 again. So what? Get a grip man. We’re all in this together no matter what. Fuck the negative! Are we gonna beat Livingston? What’s your prediction there? 

6 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

Good for you. What if that didn’t happen? It’s 50/50. We have guys saying we would pump Killie. 50/50 again. So what? Get a grip man. We’re all in this together no matter what. Fuck the negative! Are we gonna beat Livingston? What’s your prediction there? 

I went in too soon here. I’m starting to get a smell. Don’t know what is. 

2 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

It’s not been confirmed anywhere but the fact Bournemouth have a recall option in each transfer window surely means we can terminate the loan at each transfer window aswell? 

Thats my thinking and if that’s the case there’s no need for anybody to be concerned about Defoe either, if it’s not working nip it in the bud

2 hours ago, Boyd9her said:

Well, there you go, you're wasting your time posting on RM my man.

Your talents are just what Rangers need, someone with the ability to forecast the future and an ability beyond the comprehension of Stevie G.

I look forward to seeing you as our new Manager.

6 hours ago, Tomatasauce said:

It’s not been confirmed anywhere but the fact Bournemouth have a recall option in each transfer window surely means we can terminate the loan at each transfer window aswell? 

Thats my thinking and if that’s the case there’s no need for anybody to be concerned about Defoe either, if it’s not working nip it in the bud

Wouldn't have thought so. It tends to be the loaning club who have this clause in the contract to cover for if they need player back due to injuries. 

If the loaned clubs had it per se then the likes of Pena would have been papped back to us months ago 😟