State of squad

Boyd9her

10 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Everything after the selik game was rosy. 

Now the apocalypse is upon us. 

I mind saying that and I think I got a few folk disagreeing. Think it's fair to say we're a bit of a reactionary support. 

17 minutes ago, backup said:

The squad is mccoist like in its content of old players on a final pay day, didn't work then, doubtful it will work now. 

What frustrates me so much is that we've seen and done this so many times before. 

Mcleish with Emerson, capucho etc

Mccoist probably had two go's at it

Warburton with Barton, Kranjcar etc 

Now Gerrards fallen into the trap. 

It doesn't work with Rangers in Scotland. Every week we face teams of young, hungry players who to them playing against us is a cup final. Week after week teams parking the bus happy to grind out a draw. The old pros don't have the legs or the motivation for it. 

1 minute ago, Gman36 said:

What frustrates me so much is that we've seen and done this so many times before. 

Mccoist probably had two goes at it

It doesn't work with Rangers in Scotland. Every week we face teams of young, hungry players who to them playing against us is a cup final. Week after week teams parking the bus happy to grind out a draw. The old pros don't have the legs or the motivation for it. 

Average age 29.6 yrs.Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 08.04.36.png

2 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Can someone start shooting these fucking OP’s, as they don’t seem to be taking the hint to do it themself. 

You can be a happy clapper after one win. I like to look at the long term vision and strategy of the club and it’s a mess. 

1 minute ago, Boyd9her said:

You can be a happy clapper after one win. I like to look at the long term vision and strategy of the club and it’s a mess. 

It’s got nothing to do with being a happy clapper ya muppet. 

2 windows with limited funds and your complaining about the age of the squad, when you haven’t actually looked at the squad but picked the 5 oldest players and chucked the toys out of the pram. Fuck, we had folk moaning that Arfield is past it 😂 he’s fucking 30 and in his prime playing years. 

Then you start screaming about a plan when you have absolutely no idea what is happening at Auchenhowie, all this contrary to all reports that Auchenhowie and the recruiting team are the best we have had in decades. 

When you want to actually have a reasoned debate instead of just posting reactionary shite, then by all means don’t let me stop you. 

10 hours ago, Boyd9her said:

We need to be developing players but it seems that we are going down the opposite route of targeting players past their best hoping they’ll deliver one last shot of glory..

Developing players?? At ibrox?? You’re haveming a giraffe mate.  We’ve been down that route and unless we’re buying some Portuguese star for 6-7 million it’s a massive gamble.

our transfer strategy is far better than previous years.  It’s about a blend of younger players with older seniors.

1 hour ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Wouldn't have thought so. It tends to be the loaning club who have this clause in the contract to cover for if they need player back due to injuries. 

If the loaned clubs had it per se then the likes of Pena would have been papped back to us months ago 😟

It obviously depends on the structure of the deal which we don’t know, I take the fact they can recall him as the kind of thing that has to work both ways 

guys like pena didn’t have the recall inserted into his loan cos we wanted rid for as long as possible 

if defoe’s ridiculous wage rumours being branded about are true then I’d imagine keeping him for the full 18months would depend on a couple of things, form being the biggest one, finishing position in the league and qualification for Europe, to sustain it without it eating into Gerrards budget each TW

fuck knows tbh mate, dave king isne daft but I think he will have some sort of protection in place incase it dosent work with Defoe’s age and wage bracket

The averge age of the team that beat celtic was 26.1 but I guess the people who are going on about our dads army like team aren’t going to mention that because they are taking one game in isolation to try and win their argument.

I’m also willing to bet they won’t acknowlegde that McAuley was only playing because Goldson was injured, he’s not a regular starter. If you swap him for Goldson, which is a change we will make when CG is fit again then the average age comes down from 29.1 to 28.

7 minutes ago, Tomatasauce said:

It obviously depends on the structure of the deal which we don’t know, I take the fact they can recall him as the kind of thing that has to work both ways 

guys like pena didn’t have the recall inserted into his loan cos we wanted rid for as long as possible 

if defoe’s ridiculous wage rumours being branded about are true then I’d imagine keeping him for the full 18months would depend on a couple of things, form being the biggest one, finishing position in the league and qualification for Europe, to sustain it without it eating into Gerrards budget each TW

fuck knows tbh mate, dave king isne daft but I think he will have some sort of protection in place incase it dosent work with Defoe’s age and wage bracket

Edit

The terms of the deal mean Bournemouth will retain the option of recalling Defoe either this summer or in January 2020.

From BBC 

Think you're clutching at straws tbh, but hopefully come June we'll be desperate to keep him next season such are his performances, and this all becomes irrelevant 👍

2 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Think you're clutching at straws tbh, but hopefully come June we'll be desperate to keep him next season such are his performances, and this all becomes irrelevant 👍

I don’t think it’s got to that point yet, he did score on his debut fs 😂

i actually think it will be a good addition for the 2nd half of this season, with his age it concerns me thinking about next year with a 37yo upfront on big wages 

time will tell I suppose 

59 minutes ago, Gman36 said:

Mccoist probably had two go's at it

Walter with Davie Weir... that not a massive success?

27 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

The averge age of the team that beat celtic was 26.1 but I guess the people who are going on about our dads army like team aren’t going to mention that because they are taking one game in isolation to try and win their argument.

I’m also willing to bet they won’t acknowlegde that McAuley was only playing because Goldson was injured, he’s not a regular starter. If you swap him for Goldson, which is a change we will make when CG is fit again then the average age comes down from 29.1 to 28.

To be fair, we’ve added 2 with a combined age of 70 since then, both of whom upped the average on Wednesday!

8 minutes ago, BearInTheToon said:

Walter with Davie Weir... that not a massive success?

Of course but that's one player. And were there a host of other older players in the team? Pedro mendes maybe, but then his game wasn't based on mobility.

Clint Hill was great too. McAuley looks a decent enough CB and a good squad player. 

It's not the individuals, it's loading the team up with that type of player that's the problem. That's why I'd include arfield in the discussion because he's looks to be a player who's mobility is on the decline, and he is becoming injury prone. 

11 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Everything after the selik game was rosy. 

Now the apocalypse is upon us. 

100% spot on. Its un fucking believable. The emotional instability of some on here is quite incredulous. I would like one of them to explain how we go from real Championship contenders to utter garbage in 90 minutes. A study for science and psychology needs to be made into these people's minds. It's quite frightening that some are out there walking the streets unsupervised.

54 minutes ago, Boyd9her said:

What team in this league has a good long term vision and strategy or indeed other leagues? Folk could hold up models like Ajax but they have their faults also.

From what I have read we have a professional set up for youth/reserve league that is light years better than it has been in the past.

Gerrard inherited a squad which the majority of the fans wanted rid of which was achieved in the main. This was replaced quickly for relatively little outlay with a mixture of permanents and loans. Getting people to come to Scotland is problematic. We had a great European run which most myself included never thought would happen. 

Come the end of the season we will most likely only add a few players to the squad this time. Morelos might be sold which should bring us 8 figures which can be reinvested in quality. 

10 minutes ago, Gman36 said:

Dorrans and Murphy in the squad too. Both long term injuries. Murphy's was arguably bad luck, but it's still indicative of the problem of having too many older guys in a squad. 

Murphy is only 29 FFS :lol: