Season Review 1985-86

neilston42

2 hours ago, neilston42 said:

Rangers released the first season review video at the end of 1986-87 titled "That Championship Season"

I am putting together videos for each season from 1980 onwards where there was no official release, so 1980-81, 81-82, 82-83, 84-85, 85-85, 87-88 and 97-98.

The first of these, from 1985-86, is available here

It contains not only all the televised match footage from that year, but also TV News report from the AGM, Marlborough taking over, Jock Wallace departure and the unveiling of Souness.

Hope you enjoy, even though the season was not great!!

The early 80s,No season ticket required, place half empty, Souness took over, all change, all ticket, never forget that first game against hibs, was on parade with the band, we were on a coach going to another walk, that result came through,... grim... 😁

Good watch and it brought back some memories, that's the season I started going to games. Remember delivering the papers the morning the story broke that Souness was on his way. I was only about 12 at the time and didn't quite appreciate how big the story was.

I caught up with my cousin who is a bit older than me before the St Mirren game and he was telling me that the last game my grandfather ever went to was in that season - Tynecastle away, we got beat three nil and he got his pockets dipped on the terrace. 

Said he was never going to a game again and that was that. 😂 

1 hour ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I caught up with my cousin who is a bit older than me before the St Mirren game and he was telling me that the last game my grandfather ever went to was in that season - Tynecastle away, we got beat three nil and he got his pockets dipped on the terrace. 

Said he was never going to a game again and that was that. 😂 

Always remember a Wednesday night standing at Tynecastle, rain pishing from the heavens, a big reefer getting passed about, brilliant.

Some memories there, remember getting soaked in the Enclosure at that 4-4 draw with the tarriers.

Also at the Spurs friendly the day before Jock Wallace was sacked, we lost 2-0 and the crowd was 12,000, the apathy had really set in by that point. The next night I was at Bell College in Hamilton and a couple of Bears from Larkhall told me Souness had been appointed, I was convinced they were winding me up until I got home and saw it on the ten o’clock news.

5 hours ago, harlands plater said:

Some memories there, remember getting soaked in the Enclosure at that 4-4 draw with the tarriers.

Also at the Spurs friendly the day before Jock Wallace was sacked, we lost 2-0 and the crowd was 12,000, the apathy had really set in by that point. The next night I was at Bell College in Hamilton and a couple of Bears from Larkhall told me Souness had been appointed, I was convinced they were winding me up until I got home and saw it on the ten o’clock news.

If I remember right , the news about Souness was first announced on the stv news at six . 

My memory of the Spurs game the previous day , was Big Jock trying a formation out that had Derek Ferguson playing a sweeper role . A general air of apathy had set in and TBH we looked a long long way from recovery . Interesting though to see Jock talking about the support , and also the pictures of the Rangers fans filling the away terraces at hibs , hearts , and Dundee utd . Also the goalside low level camera replay of Ally's goal at parkhead shows the amount of Bears in the main stand . Tynecastle was always a favourite trip for me , A cunt of a walk from parking the busses at the market , but the upside was time to drink a carry out and relatively no hassle from the police ! No matter how shit we were we always filled that big area behind the goal . 

6 minutes ago, Fred H Crawford said:

If I remember right , the news about Souness was first announced on the stv news at six . 

My memory of the Spurs game the previous day , was Big Jock trying a formation out that had Derek Ferguson playing a sweeper role . A general air of apathy had set in and TBH we looked a long long way from recovery . Interesting though to see Jock talking about the support , and also the pictures of the Rangers fans filling the away terraces at hibs , hearts , and Dundee utd . Also the goalside low level camera replay of Ally's goal at parkhead shows the amount of Bears in the main stand . Tynecastle was always a favourite trip for me , A cunt of a walk from parking the busses at the market , but the upside was time to drink a carry out and relatively no hassle from the police ! No matter how shit we were we always filled that big area behind the goal . 

This was the 1st season of a newly formed supporters bus from Kilmarnock, it was my 1st real season of trying to get to as many games as possible, i was 15/16 and remember this season with great fondness even though we finished 5th, our early unbeaten start which saw a last minute winner at Kilbowie from Bobby Williamson was just a false promise, the 1st game we lost was at home to Dundee (who were a bogey team at that time) was the turning point for a lot of defeats to follow, make no mistake though as you rightly said the bears packed out the away grounds in huge numbers, great days even though the football was dire.

7 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

This was the 1st season of a newly formed supporters bus from Kilmarnock, it was my 1st real season of trying to get to as many games as possible, i was 15/16 and remember this season with great fondness even though we finished 5th, our early unbeaten start which saw a last minute winner at Kilbowie from Bobby Williamson was just a false promise, the 1st game we lost was at home to Dundee (who were a bogey team at that time) was the turning point for a lot of defeats to follow, make no mistake though as you rightly said the bears packed out the away grounds in huge numbers, great days even though the football was dire.

I turned 21 during that season , was single and earning good money working in the steelworks , loved getting to the games no matter the result at that time . As you say we started really well that season then had the losses  to Dundee and the sheep at home and in between those we lost the first leg of the league cup semi to hibs . I remember one of the older guys on our bus getting a bit of stick for saying the bubble had burst on the way home from easter road , but as we now know he was right !  

4 minutes ago, Fred H Crawford said:

I turned 21 during that season , was single and earning good money working in the steelworks , loved getting to the games no matter the result at that time . As you say we started really well that season then had the losses  to Dundee and the sheep at home and in between those we lost the first leg of the league cup semi to hibs . I remember one of the older guys on our bus getting a bit of stick for saying the bubble had burst on the way home from easter road , but as we now know he was right !  

One of my biggest memories from that season was a midweek game at pittodrie, it had been snowing previously and it was being reported that Rangers would be running out to their smallest travelling support in decades with only a thousand expected to make the trip, i dogged school in the afternoon and we bus shared with the nithsdale that day, in the end the beach end was brimming full and the noise was unbelievable, i think we lost the game 2-1 with big DJ & Dougie Bell both being red carded for an off the ball incident.....not sure how accurate i am as i'm trying to recollect from 34yrs ago

2 hours ago, Fred H Crawford said:

That’s right enough, the guys who told me had been home and saw the news then went to college but I worked in Glasgow and travelled straight there by public transport so I was oblivious.

That Old Firm game was the only time I had chanced going through without a ticket, I went into the District and struck it lucky.