Gerrard

Burts91

1 hour ago, MurrayWilson said:

Agree that we are improving but to say we are where we should be because we only have the 2nd biggest budget is a little bit defeatist. We are likely to have only the 2nd biggest budget for a while yet but if we use it in the right way we can get back to winning things. That obviously means getting signings spot on as well developing our own players. Its not easy but it can be done. It also means giving a manager some time, if we keep sacking them and starting again from scratch every season then we will get nowhere. That I guarantee.

I don't disagree with you mate on changing Managers - quite the opposite.

Some people on here think Gerrard has already failed so on that basis I guess they want rid of him? My point is that we can't just expect to overhaul celtic because we want to. We need cash, excellent recruitment, time and a bit of luck too!

There is no quick fix here and that's why I said we need to be patient. At times we look great but there's something not quite there yet to give us the consistency we need to really push on.

17 hours ago, Boyd9her said:

We’ve dropped 6 point to Hibs this season. We’ve dominated all 3 games 

This is both an issue and a sign that we have improved.

Last season in a ton of the games we dropped points, we genuinely never looked like winning the game.  I'd argue in most games we have dropped points this season ( not all of them) we have looked the better team.

The issues are that we still fail to put teams away when on front foot, and break down defensive teams that sit and pack the defence.

17 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

The Tim’s have had a honking season, dropping more points than they have done in years, losing their best manager since O’Neil and spunking big money on shite yet we are still well behind them in all aspects. 

You don’t need a huge budget to win things in Scotland either...Ross County, Inverness, Hibs and so on have all won cups in recent years yet we haven’t won a single meaningful one since 2011.

We have improved in terms of Europe and one result against them but that’s about it, we are still pretty sub standard in the league and have only one shot at the cup left this season (or it would be lights out already).

I didn’t expect to win it this year because I never in a million years thought that lot would be as rank as they have been. We had a huge opportunity and blew it more than several times with ridiculous results to pish poor teams. 

I question our mentality when we have a chance to push on and cement our place or put a meaningful run together because we just don’t seem capable of it. 

Hard to disagree with last paragraph. 

Personally I haven't given up on SG & think he can help deliver us a trophy. 

What I don't want is another change of Manager 

17 hours ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Sometimes we need to look at the bigger picture. Of course we wanted to challenge this season but realistically we should be setting expectations of a the manager coming in and making progress. And as painful as it is to drop points tonight, we have made progress under Gerrard.

* We lost 10 games last year. 9 the year before. We have lost only 4 this year.

* We conceded 44 goals last season....50 the season before. We have conceded only 21 this season.

Not to mention this league this year is far more competitive than the past seasons. And for the first time in years,i don't fear playing the bheasts.

So Gerrard has improved us. I think with some sqaud additions next year he can do it. We cant keep starting every season with a new manager. 

Great post.

19 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

Not to mention how many refereeing decisions have cost us as well. 

I'm not convinced there's more against us this year than last. Morelos is this year's Jack of last year with how he's penalised. I've still to see worse refereeing than Beaton v Hivs. Scott Allen challenge on Rossiter is still the worst on a Rangers player though several have come close this season.

Nope, I reckon last season was as bad.

17 hours ago, Burts91 said:

There has been a fair few games where Gerrard can take the blame but he is in no way responsible for tonight. The amount of chances we have had to kill teams off this season have been criminal. 

Honestly hope we keep Gerrard for the next 3 years. He is a born winner, you can’t change everything in one season. He has given us a Europa league group stage run, he has given us a victory over celtic. He is going to make mistakes in the same way that all managers do but he will honestly get it right given enough time. 

He has helped turn Morelos into a 15-20m pound player. It’s frustrating as fuck. But Gerrard needs the full backing from everyone and the board. 

Certain he will bring us a title in the next two and a bit years. 

I think if they go for TLB it will be next year so here's hoping the upside of them winning the league is they give the dummy the job.

The first season with a rookie manager is always going to be tough because of all the rough edges but hopefully he will have learned from the mistakes.

I wonder if the season would have turned out differently if we could have kept playing after our biggest result of the campaign? Having to put the tools away for the best part of a month after that was far from ideal

Previous seasons, we largely failed because we were poor defensively.  This season, despite several lapses, we have strengthened in that department.  However, we are going to lose out again because our final ball is, more often than not, atrocious.  It’s no secret we’re crying out for a bit of creativity and, particularly, composure in the final third.  

He’s not the long term answer but probably the most composed player we have had in creating and taking chances over the last year has been Jamie Murphy.  Losing him for the season has been a blow imo.  I can’t help think that having him up front would have made a few points difference to us.

11 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Pedro was absolutely shafted by ref decisions last season, no one gave him any leeway for it though, so why gerrard? 

We were never in with a chance last year with the team we had. This year we’ve blown it a few times but also the refereeing has taken points from us. No getting away from that. Any chance we had has been cut off at the knees with bad refereeing decisions. 

34 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

We were never in with a chance last year with the team we had. This year we’ve blown it a few times but also the refereeing has taken points from us. No getting away from that. Any chance we had has been cut off at the knees with bad refereeing decisions. 

We were well in with a chance last year going into the 3-2 defeat against the scum

47 minutes ago, Thermopylae said:

I think if they go for TLB it will be next year so here's hoping the upside of them winning the league is they give the dummy the job.

The first season with a rookie manager is always going to be tough because of all the rough edges but hopefully he will have learned from the mistakes.

I wonder if the season would have turned out differently if we could have kept playing after our biggest result of the campaign? Having to put the tools away for the best part of a month after that was far from ideal

As much as we despise the scumbag, dismiss him at your peril.

He fucked us as a player and fucked us as a manager. He also did well at Hib's on a shoestring. He simply doesn't do prisoners.

As for our tools, they are simply not sharp enough as the results show. 

A step up in quality needed and Gerrard needs to start being more ruthless and he can start with Tav!

19 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

Tav,Halliday ,Bara ,Worral ,Candeas and sell Alfredo 

Tav is one of the best players we have.  Candias is far from a loser ( he is a bit inconsistent, but most wing players are) he is vital to the style we have, no other winger we have does what he does.

Halliday is having his best season in a Rangers jersey and Worral is a loan so he will be gone in the summer anyway.

Barasic, the jury is still out on him for me.

They may not be what is needed but calling them losers seems a bit OTT.

On a lighter note, they dropped point today too, so the gap didn't get any bigger.

1 hour ago, Hadron Collider said:

You dont know that, it was the 2nd game of the season last year that pedro got shafted, then the 3rd, then the tarriers 4th game as well

Fuck it let’s just pay Gerrard and all his staff off, either sell or pay all of his players off and start again for the third time in as many seasons before calling for whoever replaces him’s head this time next years when we are in the same place as we are now, were last season and were the season before that too.

There comes a point where that isn’t a sustainable business model, we can’t just rip it up and start again season after season. Gerrard hasn’t been perfect and the way the season is panning out is disappointing but IMO there’s been enough signs for me to think that with a few tweaks and a few additions we will improve next season.

1 minute ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

You dont know that, it was the 2nd game of the season last year that pedro got shafted, then the 3rd, then the tarriers 4th game as well

Pedro shafted himself long before any referees did by overseeing the worst result against celtic at Ibrox that any of us have seen in our lifetime. His card was already marked then and he followed it up weeks later by getting up horsed out of Europe by a team who were barely Scottish League 1 standard.

6 hours ago, Sket said:

100%.

In years gone by we were a team that won trophies. Something we aren't capable of these days,it's fucking sickening.

Mate it is sickening at times and hard to take but we’ll (fingers crossed) get a good window from stevie g and the board and be better prepared for next year. When you compare to teams gone by it is hard watching at times but although far from finished article we have improved under stevie G. Need real quality to make the difference bud. Time will tell but mind the taigs have a bit of a rebuild themselves so that could also play into our favour?. 

12 minutes ago, gogzy said:

Tav is one of the best players we have.  Candias is far from a loser ( he is a bit inconsistent, but most wing players are) he is vital to the style we have, no other winger we have does what he does.

Halliday is having his best season in a Rangers jersey and Worral is a loan so he will be gone in the summer anyway.

Barasic, the jury is still out on him for me.

They may not be what is needed but calling them losers seems a bit OTT.

On a lighter note, they dropped point today too, so the gap didn't get any bigger.

Gerrard often refers in interviews to players he "trusts".   Which players in the squad do you think tick the 'trust' box and should be kept (assuming no acceptable bids were received for them)?  

I don't recall any journo or anyone from RTV pressing SG about providing a fuller listing of those trustworthy players.    By extension if there are players he trusts it implies there are players he does not trust at all or who have not yet earned his full and unreserved trust.  His references in recent months to Barasic and Katic are examples and which may explain why Katic routinely warms the bench even though he is signed as a Rangers player whereas Worrall gets picked in preference even though he is on loan.   Davis also seems to be one who has found his way to the naughty 'not yet trusted' seat.