Comparisons With Last Season

Bronzy

54 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

If it was based on finances, then we're exactly where we should be in the league and we shouldn't have even been near the groups of the Europa league if it was about money spent. Villarreal spent £80m adding to their already settled team, and never beat us home or away. 

Our team is worth quite a bit of money in terms of player assets.  Our striker alone is worth £20m.  Kent (albeit a loan is still a player worth several million), Tavernier, Goldson and Katic, is another £10m+ on top of that.

I don’t think the teams we faced in the Europa qualifiers were streets ahead of us financially.  We have a squad of players that should be able to compete with those teams.  We’ve underperformed to such an extent in recent years that I think it came as a surprise to most of us when we actually qualified.  

I wouldn’t be expecting us to compete with some of the teams in the group stages.  We made a good fist of it but sadly never made it out the group.

Agreed with all of that, we go again in the summer and add that little bit of quality we are short on. 

I hate to say it but If we genuinely are offered £20m for Morelos it has to be taken and reinvested in the team - would miss him massively but it’s a no brainer. 

At the start of the season the majority was of the opinion that cutting the gap and a cup win would be acceptable progress, we can still do that.

Where the negativity for me comes is with a number of what ifs we would be right in a close title fight.

For the record. We have lost 7 games:

·         League v Scum away 0-1

·         League v Livingston away 0-1

·         LC semi v Sheep 0-1

·         EL v Spartak away 3-4

·         League v Sheep home 0-1

·         EL v Rapid away 0-1

·         League v Kilmarnock away 1-2

17 Draws

29 wins

All about progress for me. We haven't made as much as I would've liked in some areas but anyone who thinks we haven't made any progress this season is simply just wrong. 

Consistency and knocking off the teams we should be beating on a regular basis needs addressed. 

I've certainly seen enough from Gerrard to make me believe he can be successful here in the next few years. He asked for time and we need to give him it.

9 minutes ago, Eck_M said:

17 Draws

29 wins

Only ever beaten by the odd goal. 

I know people keep saying we conceded 50 league goals last season but 10 of those were in the final games to celtic and Hibs.  I think we lost 5 goals in each as Murty’s side totally capitulated.  If you look back to last March the situation was probably quite similar.  Plenty of people talking about closing the gap on celtic, challenging for the Scottish Cup, etc.  Many wanted Murty to get the job full-time.

There’s still plenty of tests to come for this team and the management.  A tough Scottish Cup replay against an Aberdeen side we’ve struggled to beat this season.  Quickly followed by an away trip to Parkhead.  The split then happens and we’ve performed dreadfully against the top six teams this season.  There might even be an Old Firm final at Hampden to finish it off and our record there in recent times has been ridiculous.  Now is a the time for our team and management to stand up shown they’be turned the corner.

Loads of positives, we are definately heading in the right direction...6 defeats all season says that. The old firm win was an important marker laid down on our journey back to the top. Still a lot to play for and a tough run of games ahead but much more confident than this time last season.

6 hours ago, Bronzy said:

Where to begin?

We’ve earned over £20 million from Europe this season compared to last season where we had one home match and had our arses handed to us by Luxembourgish part timers.

Just from watching games with my own eyes, the football we're playing under Gerrard is in the main, miles ahead of the previous two managers. It says a lot that Sean Goss, who was a first-teamer last season, is now out on loan at St. Johnstone.

We lost ten league games last season and conceded over 50 goals.

We threw away a lead against celtic at Ibrox and after that gave up on the season, which later saw us get pumped 4-0 in a semi final and 5-0 in a league game. That was embarrassing.

I could go on.

This season, although somewhat disappointing, is far from embarrassing.

I really struggle to take anyone seriously that tries to compare this season to last in all honestly, it's night and day.

Wow, a post from Bronzy that I actually agree with, good post mate, can't argue with facts.

Yes, we are better, even with a rookie manager, a small budget and a virtually new team.

The money won in our Euro journey must be used to strengthen the team for next year,

1 hour ago, Getstiffed said:

Said in another thread I didn't expect much from Gerrard to begin with, I certainly didn't expect to qualify given how much of a disaster he inherited and how soon the Euro qualifiers were scheduled. As the season has went on my expectations have risen and maybe became a little unrealistic tbh. 

Put it this way, the worst part of our team for the last 3 years has been our defence, he's sorted that out for less than 5 million quid. I don't imagine he'll need an astronomical figure to sort out our inability to finish games off.

That's...quite the picture you've picked as your display pic 😂

7 hours ago, Bronzy said:

Where to begin?

We’ve earned over £20 million from Europe this season compared to last season where we had one home match and had our arses handed to us by Luxembourgish part timers.

Just from watching games with my own eyes, the football we're playing under Gerrard is in the main, miles ahead of the previous two managers. It says a lot that Sean Goss, who was a first-teamer last season, is now out on loan at St. Johnstone.

We lost ten league games last season and conceded over 50 goals.

We threw away a lead against celtic at Ibrox and after that gave up on the season, which later saw us get pumped 4-0 in a semi final and 5-0 in a league game. That was embarrassing.

I could go on.

This season, although somewhat disappointing, is far from embarrassing.

I really struggle to take anyone seriously that tries to compare this season to last in all honestly, it's night and day.

It's good post from you Bronzy but every season is comparable . That is how us simpleton fans live and breath football . By comparing our standards and performances from previous seasons . And fans are entitled . IT IS SIMPLY NOT GOOD ENOUGH and any bear thinking otherwise must be in their teens and never seen us win anything. Or just love being in depression and despair watching our club go from trophy less season to another .

6 hours ago, SPWF said:

We’ve dropped 11 points from winning positions. We’ve handed them the league on a silver platter. 

We’ve dropped 13 points from winning positions, we led Motherwell for over 50 mins in the 3-3 draw at fir park

Reality is that we have a good first 11 (maybe best in the league), however if not all firing then we struggle as don't have good enough replacements.  Our squad depth will improve next season as will our first 11.  Couple that with the dead wood leaving and I'm fairly optimistic. 

What I do know is we have to back SG at least until January as we are a work in progress.

1 hour ago, Eck_M said:

17 Draws

29 wins

29 wins?  I can only see 26 wins