Comparisons With Last Season

The key games for me were the the home ones against Aberdeen, St Johnstone and Hibs. 

I can take draws away to Aberdeen and Hibs, and defeats to celtic realistically to a point. Livingston away is a result that all league winners have once a season. We can’t win every game.

But the three games above were ones where we should have done better. If we had drawn with Aberdeen and beaten St Johnstone and Hibs we are only 3 points behind celtic. 

21 minutes ago, Badger said:

Last season we dropped points through being utter dross.

This season we are dropping points through lack of cutting edge and, at times, a bit of bad luck.

I'm not saying we have not been dross at times, we have - but you cannot play well every week, and at least when we play badly now we still look hard(ish) to beat. Our last good period - 2008-2011, Walter Smith was often criticised for delivering dross. 

However, my assessment, made with my eyes is we are far better than last year, and with a little bit more quality in the final third would be a fair few points better off.

We are still not very good at finding ways to win games, when it clicks - we look great - but we can look out of ideas and laboured in the last third when it isn't going well. Partly a lack of quality, partly a lack of psyche, partly a lack of nous

Gerrard said he wanted Ibrox to be a fortress and he wanted us to be ruthless in killing teams off.  He has done well with his first objective but fallen short on the second on too many occassions where we should have gone for the jugular.  Sort that and we are well on our way.

Anyone not seeing a improvement is either a moron or a troll.

We have had a mentality problem since Walter left and we still haven't addressed it, add in an over reliance on Morelos to score I think that's why we haven't run them closer

I think we are in a good position to have a real go next season though

8 minutes ago, Jeffrey said:

We have had a mentality problem since Walter left and we still haven't addressed it, add in an over reliance on Morelos to score I think that's why we haven't run them closer

I think we are in a good position to have a real go next season though

I don't think we'll build a mentality until we get used to winning. I don't think we'll get used to winning until we have a bit better quality.

2 or 3 of the right signings, and I mean quality signings - not unearthed gems (long shots), or bargain buckets - and we will be sorted. 

Do we have the £10m we need though? 

1 minute ago, Badger said:

I don't think we'll build a mentality until we get used to winning. I don't think we'll get used to winning until we have a bit better quality.

2 or 3 of the right signings, and I mean quality signings - not unearthed gems (long shots), or bargain buckets - and we will be sorted. 

Yeah agree with that

I actually think it's a different kind of problem than we've had in the last few years just now, in the past players just haven't cared, I think this lot do care but they start to believe their own hype after a few good results and expect to just have to turn up and the result will take care of itself. Hopefully they will realise ahead of next season that's not how it works up here

16 hours ago, Vanoli said:

A frustrating season is better than an embarrassing one. No one’s laughing anymore. We’re definitely on the right track. Good business at the top end of the pitch and we’ll be a very good side at this level. 

Mind all the shite memes from last season, such as "whits the goalie daein Tom" and countless ones about the pish Caixinha spoke?

Can't recall seeing many from this season, I know that sounds silly, but stuff like that shows we're not a total laughing stock anymore.

10 hours ago, Badger said:

More to the point, can he be trusted to spend it right, he's spent 6mill on our defence and played a warburton signing, a loan and another warburton signing as part of his back 4, grezda is a disaster so far as well

2 hours ago, Bronzy said:

Mind all the shite memes from last season, such as "whits the goalie daein Tom" and countless ones about the pish Caixinha spoke?

Can't recall seeing many from this season, I know that sounds silly, but stuff like that shows we're not a total laughing stock anymore.

No we aren't, however gerrard hasnt shown either that he can spend money on players of the quality we need, 

We have wasted a lot of money to be one point better than last season the filth are weaker and we should have been in a position to capitalize on that but we are not as Gerrard is learning the game as he goes.  

It's hard to blame Gerrard as we knew that was the case coming in.

This season is totally different. 

I no longer walk to Ibrox hoping we don’t let another record get broke, or hope the tarriers don’t take 5 off us again. 

I no longer go to Pittodrie or Hibs in fear that the team will crumble and be battered for 90 minutes.

However I still know that perhaps we have a Livi result in us for example, which is fine as long as it’s once every 10-12 games. 

The major problem, which the majority of us have said for years is the lack of quality. 

Aberdeen at home, St Johnstone at home. 5 points dropped because the whole team didn’t turn up. Our players are good for a 7/10 in 7 games out of 10. What we need are 3 players who are a 9/10 in 9 out of 10 games. 

A player who can take a shot against packed defences or a player who can play through packed defenses as well. If we had that we’d IMO be 3 behind and on our way to the title. 

We’re sorely missing quality and it needs addressed this summer or we can forget stopping 9 or 10. 

I’m all for bringing in guys like Hastie etc but we need about a 9 million spend on 3 players who have been properly scouted etc

11 hours ago, Bronzy said:

A year ago the day, mingin.

I said earlier in this thread that comparisons with last season should not be made at the time of posting.  You can't ridicule the amount of goals conceded over the entirety of last season, to what we have concede up until this point, because the season isn't over.  Last March our record was pretty much the same (1 league point being the difference) but the wheels came off rapidly and Murty never made it beyond April.  10 goals were conceded in the final games against celtic and Hibs as his team totally capitulated.  

We have a tough away game at Parkhead looming.  The top six split is still to happen and our record against those teams is very poor.  There's nothing left to play for in terms of silverware but for Gerrard there's still a lot on the table.  If we get embarrassed by celtic, if we keep dropping points consistently in the league, if we're no better off in terms of performance league or cup wise from a statistical point of view then where's the evidence we have improved.  Some will say they can see the evidence visually in terms of our style but I counter will Walter Smith's overly defensive style that got results.  Style doesn't matter, it's results, and Gerrard said as much in a resent interview. 

The OP said that Goss was a regular feature in last years team.  Well, Dominic Ball was a regular feature for us when we beat celtic and he done his job against us tonight.  To be clear, I don't rate Ball but it's about getting the most out of the players you have at your disposal.  We should have enough to dispatch every other team in this country outwidth celtic and we're simply not doing that.

On 11/03/2019 at 13:39, Prso's headband said:

This season is totally different. 

I no longer walk to Ibrox hoping we don’t let another record get broke, or hope the tarriers don’t take 5 off us again. 

Well you bloody well should because i cannot remember the last time aberdeen beat us at ibrox twice in one season 

22 minutes ago, TMB said:

I said earlier in this thread that comparisons with last season should not be made at the time of posting.  You can't ridicule the amount of goals conceded over the entirety of last season, to what we have concede up until this point, because the season isn't over.  Last March our record was pretty much the same (1 league point being the difference) but the wheels came off rapidly and Murty never made it beyond April.  10 goals were conceded in the final games against celtic and Hibs as his team totally capitulated.  

We have a tough away game at Parkhead looming.  The top six split is still to happen and our record against those teams is very poor.  There's nothing left to play for in terms of silverware but for Gerrard there's still a lot on the table.  If we get embarrassed by celtic, if we keep dropping points consistently in the league, if we're no better off in terms of performance league or cup wise from a statistical point of view then where's the evidence we have improved.  Some will say they can see the evidence visually in terms of our style but I counter will Walter Smith's overly defensive style that got results.  Style doesn't matter, it's results, and Gerrard said as much in a resent interview. 

The OP said that Goss was a regular feature in last years team.  Well, Dominic Ball was a regular feature for us when we beat celtic and he done his job against us tonight.  To be clear, I don't rate Ball but it's about getting the most out of the players you have at your disposal.  We should have enough to dispatch every other team in this country outwidth celtic and we're simply not doing that.

"The OP"?

Cheeky bastard.

18 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Na, Warburton/Caixinha/Murty actually got us into April

I know you liked Murty.  Murty’s 4-2-3-1 tore teams appart offensively.  Our away record was the best in the decvision.  We were weak in defense and that cost us.  

Simple comparison...

We beat the sheep last season 3 times and drew 1 time. They had a stronger squad then, and we had a weaker one.

We have won 1, Drew 1, lost 1 in the league and been papped out 2 cups from them this season. 

Doesnt get much simpler than that. SG has come in and brought in 19 players, spent £3m on Goldson, god knows how many million on Barasic, Katic and Grezda. 

Coupled with Arfield, McGregor, Defoe and Davis wages....

This season has been an unmitigated failure and anybody who points to the European group stage run against 3 sides in utter chaos and we still didn’t get out the group is in cuckoo land.