Who We Need This Summer

Klos' Glove

1 hour ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Yeah I think for the first time since 2011 we are in a position to buy players who are going to come in and compete for first team places and improve what we have rather than trying to build a squad with a whole bunch of signings.

I agree with this. I think we’ve got the foundations of a decent team but what we really need now are the players who can come in, raise it a level and turn these defeats and draws into wins.

I constantly change my mind on how far I think we are behind them. 1 day I'll think we are absolutely miles off and the next I think we only need a few quality additions.

The standard of the league is a disgrace so you can get by with some 'lesser' players if you have difference makers in the final 3rd. Give us 2 from McGregor, Rogic, Christie, Sinclair and Forrest and we would have won so many more games. They have 5 players there and it only needs one of them to produce something that wins them a game where as we have Morelos and occasionally Kent. Walter's title winning teams second time round had the likes of Broadfoot, Edu, Wylde, McCulloch and Daily. Solid enough but not that great but mix them with the likes of Naismith, Jelavic, Miller, Weiss and Boyd it worked. You could argue the likes of Goldson, Arfield and Candeias fall into the category above.

Then on the other hand I think the whole club is that far gone in terms of the standards needing set we are way off. Whoever is in charge next season I would be going all out to win the League Cup early in the season. We need a trophy desperately. 

I'm confident Kent will be here next season whether that be on loan again or permanent. So apart from that I think we need:

Quality replacement for Worrall (Cooper is the obvious option).

Squad player CB to replace McAuley.

Two quality creative midfielders. One of which id hope to be a physical box to box type.

A wide forward (Lovenkrands/Novo type)to give us an alternative to Candeias on the right.

Another quality striker to compete with Alfie if he stays.

I'm assuming Flanagan, McAuley, Worrall, Coulibaly, Davis will be leaving and possibly Lafferty, Defoe and Dorrans also.

So I reckon 6 would be enough in addition to Kent providing there are no major sells, two of which can be cheap squad players. The bulk of our budget has to go towards the two creative midfielders, the alternative to Alfie and Worralls replacement.

Just now, Jeffrey said:

I constantly change my mind on how far I think we are behind them. 1 day I'll think we are absolutely miles off and the next I think we only need a few quality additions.

The standard of the league is a disgrace so you can get by with some 'lesser' players if you have difference makers in the final 3rd. Give us 2 from McGregor, Rogic, Christie, Sinclair and Forrest and we would have won so many more games. They have 5 players there and it only needs one of them to produce something that wins them a game where as we have Morelos and occasionally Kent. Walter's title winning teams second time round had the likes of Broadfoot, Edu, Wylde, McCulloch and Daily. Solid enough but not that great but mix them with the likes of Naismith, Jelavic, Miller, Weiss and Boyd it worked. You could argue the likes of Goldson, Arfield and Candeias fall into the category above.

Then on the other hand I think the whole club is that far gone in terms of the standards needing set we are way off. Whoever is in charge next season I would be going all out to win the League Cup early in the season. We need a trophy desperately. 

The crucial stat for me was circulated recently about how many last minute goals we've conceded, and how many they've scored. The points won and lost there show where the difference is made and one of the most important elements to that is how the scum were able to have a squad which was largely settled before rogers came in, players were able to acclimatise to winning trophies and an expectant fan base without any hint of a challenge. They have that, then they spent to add quality with players and the manager. 

Our squads, on the other hand, have had to learn it the hard way. We've been constantly overhauling for too long - I think a second season for many of the current crop of players will stand them in good stead and what we need now are players who will help drag others up to their level. We've not really got a game changer in the middle and we all know it. It seemed Gerrard's main candidate for that in January was Keiran Dowell before he went to Sheffield United on loan - I hope we're looking for a more experienced option and that this was a more short-term approach, which was fine as a gamble to see if it could get us over the line. In the summer this position can't be filled by a gamble. That's going to go a long way to help force us over the line. If Morelos or Kent don't do something special, and Arfield is injured, we really lack that extra threat from midfield.

3 hours ago, ger4life_1872 said:

We need 2 cb,  rb, lb, 1 or 2 am, rw , cf 

Rw,am, cb all need too be proper quality 

I agree with that pretty much. Think a lot of positions can be strengthened, but we have a good core. Replacements for Kent and Worrall and a creative midfield player(s) are crucial.

I hope there is a shortlist for Morelos replacements as well.

EDIT - And someone who can bloody shoot from distance! They get so many goals from Rogic, Christie and McGregor, even if it's from a follow up dealing with one of their long range efforts. Just adds a different dimension. We rarely shoot from distance and when we do, you can see why we refrain.

This thread seems to sum up where we are at the moment.

People wanting wholesale changes yet again.

We’ve no chance of winning a league if there is a player turnover of 20+ every summer.

Obviously need to add a bit of quality but need to build a team rather than disrupting it every year.

Out/Not required:

McAuley, Flanagan, Dorrans, Davis, Worrall, Grezda, Rossiter

In (quality):

CB, CM, CAM, RW, Kent, Morelos replacement

In (filler)

CB, FB

Don't mind the idea of Halkett for the squad CB. Assuming Katic is still not considered first team material then we need a quality CB. A quality #10 who can get goals and create, a RW who can get goals, Kent back would be great, need to replace Morelos if he leaves and an additional CM (who is not a defensive midfielder) would be good too but Arfield again wouldn't be the worst. 

Still think Jones is a waste of a signing. 

Our goals against isn't the worst but could be improved.....for me it's the games we don't kill off....for that we need more creativity in the midfield to attack,  if morelos goes as expected I would be looking for 2 front men preferably 2 that can play together a number 10 a creative midfielder a left back and another centre half....surely that gives us various options for changing the formation at any given time.

8 minutes ago, ElBufalo20 said:

This thread seems to sum up where we are at the moment.

People wanting wholesale changes yet again.

We’ve no chance of winning a league if there is a player turnover of 20+ every summer.

Obviously need to add a bit of quality but need to build a team rather than disrupting it every year.

Despite the fact I just listed 7/8 players we need in, I do agree with this and have said this every window. I think absolute necessities are an attacking midfielder and a RW who can both score goals and create. Then a CB.

That's 3 players we absolutely need. After that it's just replacing players like Morelos if we sell them. And replacing Kent if he leaves (because Jones should not be the replacement, for Grezda yes). 

3 minutes ago, Broxi said:

Out/Not required:

McAuley, Flanagan, Dorrans, Davis, Worrall, Grezda, Rossiter

In (quality):

CB, CM, CAM, RW, Kent, Morelos replacement

In (filler)

CB, FB

Don't mind the idea of Halkett for the squad CB. Assuming Katic is still not considered first team material then we need a quality CB. A quality #10 who can get goals and create, a RW who can get goals, Kent back would be great, need to replace Morelos if he leaves and an additional CM (who is not a defensive midfielder) would be good too but Arfield again wouldn't be the worst. 

Still think Jones is a waste of a signing. 

Has Halkett not already signed a pre contract with Hearts?

Would spend decent money to get a real quality AM and CB (if Alfredo goes a ST aswell but the few we get for him will cover that). After that we can look at frees for a back up CB, ST and right winger and I don’t think we’ll be far off. 

Considering we don’t need a full rebuild this summer like we have for a number of years I don’t think it’s unrealistic to expect decent money to be spent on one or two additions of real quality who can take us up a level and turn these draws into wins.

5 hours ago, gmcf said:

Agree with this , but would add a commanding CH to replace Worrall. 

Sadly , we'd need to sell Morelos to finance it , so we'd possibly need another striker . Its doable if the board put up £7 / £8M to go along with what we get from AM . 

Yeah my post is on the assumption that Morelos leaves