End Defoe and Davis loans now?

Davis has been poor since he arrived back but hadn't played a lot of football, recently he's been getting game time and was good for NI during the break, not sure he would have offered much less than McCrorie or Jack did yesterday, both were pretty poor imo.

10 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Defoe the main striker next season. 😂😂

This is an April Fool right. 

Its not what I what or what most people want I don't think

But its certainly a possibility unless we have somebody earmarked for the summer. Even more reason why it's important to get Morelos out early in June, give us time to bring somebody in and give them a full pre-season, especially the early Europa league games.

Just now, Valance1690 said:

But its certainly a possibility unless we have somebody earmarked for the summer. Even more reason why it's important to get Morelos out early in June, give us time to bring somebody in and give them a full pre-season, especially the early Europa league games.

what do you think the job of the recruitment team is?

2 minutes ago, OhW said:

what do you think the job of the recruitment team is?

Obviously to do exactly that.

But the signings from last season, Barisic/Grezda especially as they were clearly panic buys from a club we played in a Europa qualifying match, don't fill me with much confidence.

We keep hearing about how we're linked with players, heard Greg Stewart/Hastie in the last week, that's on top of Shinnie & a few from England. We've not been linked with 1 striker yet that I've seen.

1 minute ago, Valance1690 said:

We go with Defoe and don’t replace Mo with like for like then we won’t finish 2nd never mind win the league. 

We don’t have time to bring in another young striker like Mo of 2 seasons ago and hope he pans out or go with a past it one time great striker who can’t play with his back to goal. 

We need a striker in his late 20’s who has scored goals all his career that can handle getting the ball with his back to goal and still have 6/7 opposition players between him and the goal, is strong in the air, doesn’t mind the xenophobic racist media and can handle getting kicked all over the pitch especially off the ball and even when he is walking off the pitch at halftime and full time. Without the Ref or anyone else giving a fuck what is going on and being told it’s all part of the game. 

Bit of a tall order right enough. 

3 minutes ago, gogzy said:

No, not at all.  

We have our main striker probably banned for the next 4 games, we need to hold onto second place and we are short in numbers up front.

Davis I could almost understand but ending Defoes loan spell would be stupid.

Exactly.

Davis has been a chronic waste and thank fuck he was only willing to give us 6 months

We need Defoe until the end of the season then we should negotiate out of that one.

I have a sneaky suspicion (rightly or wrongly) Morelos stays anyway

1 minute ago, Hutton2008 said:

I have a sneaky suspicion (rightly or wrongly) Morelos stays anyway

IMO if we don't get the money we wan't for him, we keep him.   still think he will mellow with age and get a handle on the petulance.

He is by far the best player in the country and him being a bit of a liabilty at times is a price that comes with the talent I guess.

I agree that we should try and get Defoe out in the summer and replace him with someone younger and hungrier.

19 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

We go with Defoe and don’t replace Mo with like for like then we won’t finish 2nd never mind win the league. 

We don’t have time to bring in another young striker like Mo of 2 seasons ago and hope he pans out or go with a past it one time great striker who can’t play with his back to goal. 

We need a striker in his late 20’s who has scored goals all his career that can handle getting the ball with his back to goal and still have 6/7 opposition players between him and the goal, is strong in the air, doesn’t mind the xenophobic racist media and can handle getting kicked all over the pitch especially off the ball and even when he is walking off the pitch at halftime and full time. Without the Ref or anyone else giving a fuck what is going on and being told it’s all part of the game. 

Bit of a tall order right enough. 

Completely agree with that, we really don't have the time.

But to find a striker like that is going to be a very tall order & given our recent record in the market, even before Gerrard, it's not one i'm confident we can do.

While its not what I want, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Morelos money spent elsewhere and hope the goals from the team make up his individual goals from this season & sign a younger striker we can hopefully improve on.

Defoe can and will still be a big player for us. He’s almost certainly our most productive player this season per minutes played. He’s been unlucky in that Alfredo has been the best player in the league this season and our team is built around him. It’s obvious Gerrard wants to completely revamp our attacking midfield next season. Do that right and Defoe will score 15 at least next season with his eyes shut even as second choice. We’ll probably consider compatability with Defoe in a front two as well when picking Alfredo’s replacement.  

3 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

Completely agree with that, we really don't have the time.

But to find a striker like that is going to be a very tall order & given our recent record in the market, even before Gerrard, it's not one i'm confident we can do.

While its not what I want, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Morelos money spent elsewhere and hope the goals from the team make up his individual goals from this season & sign a younger striker we can hopefully improve on.

Not confident either mate. 

Only way I could see it happening would be to blow all the Mo money on the replacement but we probably couldn’t afford that level of players wage. 

So we find ourselves caught between a rock and a hard place. Which should please the media who hound us and have been a shower of racist xenophobic cunts when it comes to Mo. 

56 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

Davis has been poor since he arrived back but hadn't played a lot of football, recently he's been getting game time and was good for NI during the break, not sure he would have offered much less than McCrorie or Jack did yesterday, both were pretty poor imo.

Davis is fucking wank mate and I wish people would stop using NI as some indication of how good a player is :lol:

4 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Not confident either mate. 

Only way I could see it happening would be to blow all the Mo money on the replacement but we probably couldn’t afford that level of players wage. 

So we find ourselves caught between a rock and a hard place. Which should please the media who hound us and have been a shower of racist xenophobic cunts when it comes to Mo. 

Aye its a catch 22, we maybe have the transfer funds if we sell him for a good price but wouldn't have the wages to back up a player of that price.

Media have hounded him out of here & I had all the sympathy in the world for him a few months ago, think since then he hasn't helped himself either, the one yesterday and the one against McKenna were both just silly things he didn't have to do but can understand his frustration. 

Wednesday night should show us a glimpse into next season, without Kent/Morelos, see what the rest can do against another hammer throwing side.

6 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

Aye its a catch 22, we maybe have the transfer funds if we sell him for a good price but wouldn't have the wages to back up a player of that price.

Media have hounded him out of here & I had all the sympathy in the world for him a few months ago, think since then he hasn't helped himself either, the one yesterday and the one against McKenna were both just silly things he didn't have to do but can understand his frustration. 

Wednesday night should show us a glimpse into next season, without Kent/Morelos, see what the rest can do against another hammer throwing side.

Job done to an extent for the hammer throwers, helped by Mo to a degree. 

Just need to hope we can find a gem in the summer, but if it’s just a rinse and repeat of the garbage Mo has had to deal with then we will be back to square 1 again in a couple of seasons. 

Just now, Courtyard Bear said:

Take it he’s not as good for NI as some make out mate??

Its really hard to know who is actually good for NI mate, it always has been. 

NI games tend to be nothing but defending and then getting a goal from a break or a set piece. For some reason bang average players seem to excel when playing for NI.

David Healy is the prime example in recent years but even the likes of Lafferty. Those two players are viewed by NI fans with almost god like status and both at some stage were starting games for them and scoring, yet either didn't have a club to play at or were never ever starting for their clubs.

Jones looks quite good for NI atm, but unfortunately I don't see it working out for him here. Annoyed me during the recent break to hear some Rangers fans raving about him and how Davis scored. Davis scored a penalty, give me a break :lol:

2 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

Davis has not shown much since his return - but Defoe's goals to time ratio is excellent and over and above his goals I think he has one 3 penalties - great signing.

Ban the troll.