Players that left too soon

Johnsey

1 hour ago, trueblueal said:

Numan should have been given a deal. 

Waghorn was a better option than Lafferty.

I’m sure numan was offered a deal. He was on supposedly £30 000 a week from 1998 -2003, on a five year contract, and a deal when he was 33 was offered at £5000 a week, and he chose to turn it down and retired as he believed he was worth more.

wether that’s fully true or not, I do believe he could have offered us another 2 years.

totally agree about waghorn though, but Pedro binned him before Gerrard got here.

19 minutes ago, barrymorrison1 said:

I’m sure numan was offered a deal. He was on supposedly £30 000 a week from 1998 -2003, on a five year contract, and a deal when he was 33 was offered at £5000 a week, and he chose to turn it down and retired as he believed he was worth more.

wether that’s fully true or not, I do believe he could have offered us another 2 years.

totally agree about waghorn though, but Pedro binned him before Gerrard got here.

He was worth more. We offered him a deal we knew he couldn't accept just to be able to spin it that he'd had an offer. It was poor for a player who was a proper pro and genuine class. 

2 hours ago, Strathaven_Loyal said:

Numan retiring at 32 always baffled me, particularly as he was still in brilliant shape. Used to see him about Hamilton years after he retired and he still looked in better nick than half the first team.

Does he live in Hamilton? He’s been spotted there a few times. 

Rife with taigs though. 

We should've kept Andy Little for the Championship season.  He done the job just fine in the 3rd and 2nd divisions and always gave his all.  Punting him for a nostalgia trip in Miller and Boyd was trademark McCoist.

2 hours ago, barrymorrison1 said:

My recollection of this. He was on 21k per week and was offered 7k to stay. He found that offer insulting and decided to retire. At the time I thought footballers must have made so much money that they could afford to retire early rather than play for 7k a week. Some current players are on that kind of money today. So although he had principles I still felt he should have stayed. Some would ask me if I would have taken a 66.6% pay cut.

But I still think he should have stayed. 

Agree that he was a class act

1 hour ago, King Jela said:

Does he live in Hamilton? He’s been spotted there a few times. 

Rife with taigs though. 

He had a house in one the estates across from the Avonbridge Hotel, just near Dougie Parks old house. He lived there for a good few years after he retired but I'm sure he moved back to Holland ages ago now.

A number of players who came through our youth system who have went onto make fairly decent careers for themselves;

Charlie Adam, Ross McCormack, John Fleck, Barrie McKay (last I read he was doing alright at Swansea), Alan Hutton (probably too good to turn down what Spurs were offering)...etc.

We're a very expectant fan base who demand young players step up to the mark quickly...should've maybe held onto these guys longer as they might have bloomed in time.

2 hours ago, SonicWill said:

Mikel Arteta.

Had two good seasons, and we somehow managed to sell him at a loss to Sociedad. Baffling.

Mental that they bought him to play alongside Xavi Alonso. Could av been some midfield.

Even more mental that after we paid  £6mil  for him Everton ended up getting him for just £2 mil.