Players that left too soon

Johnsey

11 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Think we could have had another good season out of the big man mate.

Also, Cuellar, Gazza and Cannigia .......and wee Gattuso could all have stayed much longer imo.

Cuellar wanted to move to England, ever since he signed with us. Due to his form and potential, we had no chance keeping him. Shame, as he never really hit the heights he should have - a cracking defender.

Gazza was becoming too much of an inconsistent liability, and was clearly wanting to move back down south. Agents and EPL clubs were all over him, so it was never going to possible to keep him on.

Gattuso seems to get better due to hindsight and the level he eventually reached, but let's be honest - he was very raw with us and we never saw the player he eventually become. I think he went to a lower placed Serie A side - Salernetania and he kicked on from there. 

Agreed, Cannigia should have been kept on - a genuine world class talent, loved the country and Rangers. He could have easily performed for another couple of seasons.

Gattusso, Arteta and Niemi were my 1st thoughts.

Gattusso and Arteta were always going to move on and Don't blame Niemi for moving on, 3rd choice keeper who was pretty decent but never getting a chance with us.

Morelos will be moving one season too early for me, i would like to see what hes like next year.

On 11/04/2019 at 20:37, 1690tamRFC said:

Should have kept Gazza. 

Mate, as much as i loved him i think he was done in his last season for us. We waited far too long for him to get back to form/fitness and just as he was coming good he was punted. Should have got rid 6month earlier IMO (thats now with hindsight)

20 minutes ago, Gascoigne8 said:

Mate, as much as i loved him i think he was done in his last season for us. We waited far too long for him to get back to form/fitness and just as he was coming good he was punted. Should have got rid 6month earlier IMO (thats now with hindsight)

Right time imo but don't know why we waited tbh

33 minutes ago, Gascoigne8 said:

Mate I respect your opinion, but whole heartedly disagree. We had 5 games to win the league, kept laudrup who was already playing elsewhere in his head and had chucked it, and sold gazza for 5 million which on the face of it seemed like great business, but it hindsight we fucked that season big time with 3 draws and 2 defeats that I have no doubt at all that keeping gazza would have won us the points we needed to win that fucker. 

Two things made Gascoigne leave and it wasn’t the money, I sat with him in Middlesbrough months after I’m the hotel he was living in, Glenn Hoddle said to him to go to the World Cup he had to be playing in England ( he lied gazza didn’t go and smashed up the hotel) and the wee general told the board he didn’t want him going forward as he’d not fit into his team when he took over and disrupt what he was wanting to build. Either way for me keeping gazza would have won us ten. I won’t believe anything different and he’s my absolute hero. 

On 11/04/2019 at 09:59, harlands plater said:

From a football perspective Duncan Ferguson, when you see the player he became down south. Although non-football matters probably meant the big man had to get out of this bitter wee shithole of a country.

He took no prisoners 

86E475AE-FDE9-40ED-95D7-C2EB1E8A9BD3.jpeg

30 minutes ago, Tabhead said:

GVB.jpg

Absolutely loved Gio. 

I still remember vividly that group we were in that we really should have qualified from. Smashed Sturm Graz 5-0 I think before going away to Monaco. Their manager telling the media they saw Rangers as a chance to take 6 points in the group. Gio with a trademark long ranger to nick the 1-0 win. 

Still can't believe we won the first 2 games in that group and never qualified. Even worse that Sturm Graz somehow finished top 😂

56 minutes ago, Boyd9her said:

Billy Gilmore, Lewis Macleod 

I think Lewis MacLeod is out of contract this summer.  We could probably have him back if we wanted.  I was gutted when he left but he’s 24 now and hasn’t done anything since leaving.  In hindsight, I think the guys who said he was overrated we’re probably right.

John Spencer, had some potential but struggled for games, it was a hard Rangers team to break info and by 1992 Gary McSwegan was probably in front of him but ifnhe held on another year with McCoist breaking his leg and McSwegan not turning out to be the great white hope I think he could've developed into a good Rangers player, he was loved down at Chelsea and QPR

2 hours ago, TMB said:

I think Lewis MacLeod is out of contract this summer.  We could probably have him back if we wanted.  I was gutted when he left but he’s 24 now and hasn’t done anything since leaving.  In hindsight, I think the guys who said he was overrated we’re probably right.

Nothing to do with his ability, always injured