The left wing conundrum for next season

King Jela

I can't see Ryan Kent being here with that £12m price tag.  I would hope Grezda can play more positions than just the LW.  Middleton could be loaned out also but he's done really well given the limited game time he's had.  

3 minutes ago, TMB said:

I can't see Ryan Kent being here with that £12m price tag. 

So? Everyone has known for a long time that our best chance of having him here next season is another loan. 

13 minutes ago, OhW said:

So? Everyone has known for a long time that our best chance of having him here next season is another loan. 

As I just said, I doubt he’ll be here given the massive price tag Liverpool have placed on him.

I know people on here keep banging on about another loan but I see no reason as to why Liverpool would do that.  He’s never going to make it with them, his stock is high right now, they’ll cash in.  

13 hours ago, Lloyd said:

Murphy should be played as a number 10, he’s too slow and predictable for a winger. Buy a better LW if we can’t get Kent back. 

Jamie Murphy has always played out wide and despite never being the quickest, he is much more of a consistent threat at LW than anyone we have at the moment.

His pace didnt seem to be an issue when he was running past fullback before he got injured, and tbh from these clips its not something he is over-reliant on anyway!

As for him being number 10 I dont think that would suit him either tbh, you are then moving arguably our best midfielder in Arfield into another position? When Murphy was very dangerous at LW pre-injury.

2 hours ago, Gman36 said:

Two words - Carlos pena 

Unfair tbh. Pena was an utter car crash in his personal life. 

Haven’t seen anything negative about Grezda in that sense, and he’s had a hard time with injuries. Be interesting to see if he can force his way into the team. 

Shocked he hasn’t been given how shite Candeias is. 

39 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Murphy is a lot better through the middle. 

When has he played through the middle?

I  know he played upfront the odd time for Sheffield Utd but its not something he has done for Brighton, or us, from memory.

I actually joked with him not long after he got injured, he tweeted something about Sport Interatcive giving him football manager, and I mentioned that he would be changing stats to play ST and he said that LAM/LW, inside forward, attack was the ideal role for him!

(For those that done play the game you have various pre-set styles of play, depending on the position, but an inside forward, as opposed to a winger, looks to cut inside from wide areas and shoot. The "attack" status (as opposed to defend or support) means that the are much more offensive and look to score goals).

Maybe I am reading too much into it, but if they guys says thats his best position/role, then I am happy with that!

8 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Haven’t seen anything negative about Grezda in that sense, and he’s had a hard time with injuries. Be interesting to see if he can force his way into the team. 

I am hoping that with a full pre-season we might see a different Grezda!

He was injured for a while before we signed him so I dont know how up to speed he was, then at the winter break picked up another injury.

I dont think we should get rid of him just yet.

Just now, Del said:

I am hoping that with a full pre-season we might see a different Grezda!

He was injured for a while before we signed him so I dont know how up to speed he was, then at the winter break picked up another injury.

I dont think we should get rid of him just yet.

Be crazy to write him off this soon. If he’s shite this year after pre-season then punt him. 

26 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

My point is we should've learnt out lesson about sunk losses. He hasn't worked out so we'd be better to get rid of him now when he still had some value, rather than hang on another season and it's a payoff. 

6 minutes ago, Gman36 said:

My point is we should've learnt out lesson about sunk losses. He hasn't worked out so we'd be better to get rid of him now when he still had some value, rather than hang on another season and it's a payoff. 

I don’t think he’s at that stage yet. Think that’s harsh. 

36 minutes ago, Del said:

When has he played through the middle?

I  know he played upfront the odd time for Sheffield Utd but its not something he has done for Brighton, or us, from memory.

I actually joked with him not long after he got injured, he tweeted something about Sport Interatcive giving him football manager, and I mentioned that he would be changing stats to play ST and he said that LAM/LW, inside forward, attack was the ideal role for him!

(For those that done play the game you have various pre-set styles of play, depending on the position, but an inside forward, as opposed to a winger, looks to cut inside from wide areas and shoot. The "attack" status (as opposed to defend or support) means that the are much more offensive and look to score goals).

Maybe I am reading too much into it, but if they guys says thats his best position/role, then I am happy with that!

Looked better in the middle against the Sheep and Hibs last season

1 hour ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Looked better in the middle against the Sheep and Hibs last season

Jamie Murhpy  joined in January 2018 and in the remainder of that season played Aberdeen twice (winning 2-0 at Ibrox and drawing 1-1 away) and on both occasions he played on the left.  The first game we played 4-2-3-1 with Candeias on the right, Windass behind Morelos and Murphy on the left and for the second game we played 4-2-3-1 with a midfield of McCrorie, Holt in CM, Candeias on the right, Dorrans in the middle and Murphy on the left, behind Morelos. (according to our official website and other media outlets,he  although 2mins watching the highlights confirms he played on the left).

We also played Hibs twice (losing 2-1 at Ibrox and drawing 5-5 away) and the first game was 4-2-3-1 with the same attack as Aberdeen - Candeias on Right, Windass behind Morelos and Murphy on the left, but at the 5-5 game it looks like we played 4-4-2 with Murphy and Cummings up front, I think Jimmy Nicholl was the manager, but he never played as a number 10!

This season he hasnt played against Hibs but has played once against Aberdeen (1-1 away game) and although he started on the left, he ended up playing through the middle (sort of) because of the red card but got taken off in the 2nd half.

Hes always looked more dangerous coming in from the left hand side for me!

25 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Him and dorrans will be like new signings, saves dave paying for actual new ones

I dont think Dorrans will play a significant role for us again.

Which is a shame as in spells he looked very good!