Barisic & Grezda - Off This Summer?

39 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

“Not long for Scotland” according to David Edgar on Heart & Hand extra.

Says he wouldn’t be surprised to see both gone in the Summer because the club have already decided that they aren’t going to get to “the level”.

Neither have been great so far but it’s dissaponting that we’ve invested between 3-4 million on them only to possibly decide they aren’t up to it after less than a year.

We has to learn to box more cleverly. We cannot keep wasting money on players like these guys and players like Pena, Cardoso, Herrera.

Every signing is a Gamble regardless of the money paid or country of origin and reputation counts for nothing until they are out there on the grass showing us what they are all about,

We do seem to get more than our share who for whatever reason can not cut it.

So a Croatian international player isn't good enough for Scottish football?   Staggering.   Could say the same for Grezda.     

Is the message here that they are good enough footballers - good enough to play at full international level - and in one case for Croatia for fucks sake, but that somehow something in their game just does not work for Scottish football at Rangers?      If that's the case it says more about Scottish football - and Rangers inability to pick players that have a very strong probability of adapting to Scottish football - than it does about the players themselves.  With one exception.  

The exception being that the players themselves just do not like playing or living in Scotland and if that's the case then no matter how capable they are as players at international level their heart would not be in it and they'd not be giving their all at club level.   Is that the case with these 2 players?

If they go then it almost doesn't matter which so-called marquee or even squad players are brought in - even if they are all experienced internationals - immediately they start in the eyes of many with the assumption that they won't be able to hack it at Rangers or in Scotland.   That seems to be the way it is in Scotland. 

6 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

I like Jack and Arfield but god help Southampton if thats the level of player they intend on signing in the summer 

I think Southampton will be in the market for a Jack type tbis summer because I can see Pep going for Hojberg. Pep rates him really highly from their time at Bayern and with Fernandinho not getting any younger I wouldn’t be surprised to see him earmarked for a move there, especially now that he’s got a few seasons in the league behind him and he’s playing the best football for them that he ever has.

8 minutes ago, pcbear said:

Every signing is a Gamble regardless of the money paid or country of origin and reputation counts for nothing until they are out there on the grass showing us what they are all about,

We do seem to get more than our share who for whatever reason can not cut it.

Obviously every signing comes with a risk that it won’t work out but I think if we are spending £2,000,000 or so on a player we really need to do our homework and make sure the chances of them making an impact are more higher. The best example I can think of is Jelavic. We chased him for ages but we clearly did our homework because his class was immediately noticeable. I know we paid 4 million for him and a player of his ability would probably  cost you 15 million now but the same though process should still be applied because 2-3 million isn’t spare change to us these days.

3 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Obviously every signing comes with a risk that it won’t work out but I think if we are spending £2,000,000 or so on a player we really need to do our homework and make sure the chances of them making an impact are more higher. The best example I can think of is Jelavic. We chased him for ages but we clearly did our homework because his class was immediately noticeable. I know we paid 4 million for him and a player of his ability would probably  cost you 15 million now but the same though process should still be applied because 2-3 million isn’t spare change to us these days.

Correc, they are pro footballers for a reason they are good at it, I reckon it is more of a mental thing than anything else, it's one thing strutting your stuff in the comfort zone, plenty wilt under the pressure and far less thrive.

It's a tricky one to get right, and the proven mentally tough players that can do the business are way out of our price range so roll the dice and you might get a Morelos or a Webster.

9 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

There’s a question mark over Barisic that he left for Dinamo and ended up back at Osijek.

Clearly talented, perhaps not made of the right stuff when the real pressure is on.

Fair point. Has the technical ability, but looks like an uninterested shitebag at times.

25 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Many of Gerrards signings have been a hit though?

Our two best players this season and biggest  assets were signed by two managers widely ridiculed by our support.

1 minute ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Many of Gerrards signings have been a hit though?

Our two best players this season and biggest  assets were signed by two managers widely ridiculed by our support.

Do managers come in and just no play anyone who was signed previously? 

Never got that argument 

He’s made they two players twice the players they were. 

4 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Do managers come in and just no play anyone who was signed previously? 

Never got that argument 

He’s made they two players twice the players they were. 

The point is that the scouting department is still failing the club.

Grezda

Barisic

Katic

Lafferty

Millions spunked and not a single one a guaranteed starter.

Loanees going back to their clubs and signing 3 goal Jordon Jones, 29 Journeyman Greg Stewart and pursuing Graeme Shinnie and close to signing Jake Hastie.

Throw in 33 yr old Davis and 36 yr old Defoe, bringing back Brown and Chester.

What a breath of fresh air Mark Allen has been.

10 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

The point is that the scouting department is still failing the club.

Grezda

Barisic

Katic

Lafferty

Millions spunked and not a single one a guaranteed starter.

Loanees going back to their clubs and signing 3 goal Jordon Jones, 29 Journeyman Greg Stewart and pursuing Graeme Shinnie and close to signing Jake Hastie.

Throw in 33 yr old Davis and 36 yr old Defoe, bringing back Brown and Chester.

What a breath of fresh air Mark Allen has been.

Not doubting the scouts aren’t good enough and we’re not getting a good return on our investments. Am saying obviously a manager is going to play players that were already here. 

You’ve named 2 failures, a squad player and Barisic who is an international at the highest level. 

Goldson

Arfield,

McGregor,

Kamara,

Grand total of about 3 mill and they’ve all improved our team. 

Doesn’t matter what age Defoe is he’s still clearly good enough for this level. 

I agree on our current pursuits though, maybe bar Hastie as I do think we probably should be picking up the best players in the country. 

We’re never going to have success with every transfer, it just seems that the failures are the ones we spend the most money on and that’s a problem. 

54 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

There’s a question mark over Barisic that he left for Dinamo and ended up back at Osijek.

Clearly talented, perhaps not made of the right stuff when the real pressure is on.

So a Croatian internationalist can’t handle pressure. 

I can actually see us making a bit of a profit to be honest.

Grezda we will probably take a wee bit of a loss on, but could possibly break even.

I expect to make a decent profit on Barasic though. Although he has done next to nothing for us, we bought a prospect and he has since broken into the croation national team. Wouldn't be overly surprised if we could get about £3m for him, even a bit more.