New TV required

Marky.

My LG of 2009 is finally on its way out. What a servant.

I am looking at getting a new one, but have a few things I need advice on.

Firstly, I am stuck between going OLED and QLED. I use the tv in my main room for the PS4 and a lot of its use will come from that, Netflix or standard HD Sky.

As these can be around £1000, I am thinking long and hard about what to go for, wasn't really wanting to pay £1000, but that's the market, and as these ones have dropped from £3000 odd, it might be a worthy investment. I'm worried about getting bad input lag on certain televisions when playing with PS4, especially as it is not a PS4 Pro, just the normal. Equally, I really want a screen that will keep me going for years that'll hold up in the future, hence why OLED/QLED, they seem to be the future.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-TX-55FZ802B-Ultra-Smart-Warranty/dp/B07DRNDKFP?SubscriptionId=AKIAIPHVZTVH6LZ5BFZA&tag=hawk-future-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07DRNDKFP&ascsubtag=grd-9171512964682787559-21

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KPNZ84C?tag=rtings-ut-21&ie=UTF8

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-OLED55B7V-Premium-Ultra-Smart/dp/B06XVMNVD5/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=lg+b7+55&qid=1555958445&s=gateway&sr=8-1

A few that have been recommended previously. Any advice on a top TV for my use?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

TCL (the creative life)

Chinese brand taking over America

Bought a 4k HDR10 43" smart TV for £350 last summer

Lower input lag for games too.

Can get a 55" for about £400 too - Amazon

Sounds too good to be true but I can verify - has been great.

Beat or matched Samsung KS8000's in reviews etc - only thing to note US & UK model numbers are different. They've got a 6 series an we've got a 43DP608/43DP648.. / 55DP 55DP

I'll even add this nerdy guy 's review who is about the most critical and at the forefront of 'tech' these days:

Hope this helps. My mate bought the 55" after my experience

Planet Earth 2 (in particular) on it or 4k netflix shows are the dugs danglies.

I usually like Panasonic or Philips but Philips are part owned by the Chinese now.    Got a top of the range plasma 50" in my bedroom and it's the best he picture I have ever had and I have had some good tv's over the years..My Philips has 256 amblights and the plasma uses 80% more electricticty   It like a v6 engine 🤣👍

Not even bothered with 4K yet even thou I have it with sky but I would check Panasonic out even if just too dismiss it and also Sony have been producing some good tv's again the last couple of years. 

Happy buyin, and don't overlook last years top models as you will get them for a discount price and their replacement tv tend to be cosmetic changes with little tweaks on the actual tv itself.  

On 22/04/2019 at 21:48, Marky. said:

Mine is a 49" at the moment, but with a big chunky border. I'd imagine 55" will be decent because of the current border.

To be honest it depends on the size of the room you have, too many people buy the biggest tv for the money bang it in a room too small and the picture is blurred because your too close and the tv is just not that good,   I tend to buy the top of the range and do not go above 50"as that's more than big enough, best time to buy I see when they launch a new range , pick the top of the  range that is going out and save 30 to 40% and it will still be far better than the new ranges secknd top model and cheaper  

Also cheap tv's and gaming don't go hand in hand 

1 hour ago, Copland bear said:

I usually like Panasonic or Philips but Philips are part owned by the Chinese now.    Got a top of the range plasma 50" in my bedroom and it's the best he picture I have ever had and I have had some good tv's over the years..My Philips has 256 amblights and the plasma uses 80% more electricticty   It like a v6 engine 🤣👍

Not even bothered with 4K yet even thou I have it with sky but I would check Panasonic out even if just too dismiss it and also Sony have been producing some good tv's again the last couple of years. 

Happy buyin, and don't overlook last years top models as you will get them for a discount price and their replacement tv tend to be cosmetic changes with little tweaks on the actual tv itself.  

Top of the range my hole ,no even got a 4 k tele ,u have sky q and no even got a 4 k tele ,warmer 

My 1080p picture is as good as it gets until I upgrade.  Got van den hul ultimate hdmi on both my tv's and got a basic van den hul flat for my PlayStation which I mostly play on the plasma which is great for gaming as Panasonic before they gave up on plasma bought all pioneers technology , i.e. The Kuro  I think  was the name of pioneer tv produced that was the tv to beat for years   

The last 2 series top of the range plasmas they produced 50" is the smallest top of the range tv they done and those were classed the best 1080p picture ever produced by any tv.

The problem is not everything is 4K and the 1080p programmes would probably be inferior to the 1080p picture I already have, I will probably upgrade in about 18months or until one breaks down 

Also my tv downstairs was the top of the range Philips 46" with 256 ambilights that change colour in the wall behind the tv which I have been a fan of for years now as I liked Philips tv's but now I would probably go for Panasonic or Sony.  

1 hour ago, ger4life_1872 said:

You cant keep going on about top of the range when you haven't gone 4k 

I can get another 18 months out my set up and I will probably go 4K and look for a 46" to 50",  As I said I would be looking at Sony or Panasonic , would not rule out lg and would spend between £1200 to £1800 for a tv.

On 23/05/2019 at 09:55, ger4life_1872 said:

You cant keep going on about top of the range when you haven't gone 4k 

Look you can by a golf 1.2 engine or a golf gti,. From the same makers even the same car but it's about what's under the hood, it's the same with tv's, 

If you opt for the second top of range then what are you sacrificing and will it impact on what it's all about and that's the picture quality.  

Its not about big tv's but picture quality and the right size of tv for the room ,   You get the best you can with the money you have it's that simple 

I had a widescreen tv when sky had one wide screen movie channel, I had full Hd tv when most people were buying hd ready TVs  not even knowing the diffrence  

I also like my stereos and in the 90's the two started merging and that's how I got to know my tv's etc and used to change them every 2nd year or something driving my wife up the wall.

As I said I have 2 good tv's just now and for once I have waited instead of jumping straight in and pay a fortune  for a 4K tv then moan about its 1080p output.

20 minutes ago, Copland bear said:

Look you can by a golf 1.2 engine or a golf gti,. From the same makers even the same car but it's about what's under the hood, it's the same with tv's, 

If you opt for the second top of range then what are you sacrificing and will it impact on what it's all about and that's the picture quality.  

Its not about big tv's but picture quality and the right size of tv for the room ,   You get the best you can with the money you have it's that simple 

I had a widescreen tv when sky had one wide screen movie channel, I had full Hd tv when most people were buying hd ready TVs  not even knowing the diffrence  

I also like my stereos and in the 90's the two started merging and that's how I got to know my tv's etc and used to change them every 2nd year or something driving my wife up the wall.

As I said I have 2 good tv's just now and for once I have waited instead of jumping straight in and pay a fortune  for a 4K tv then moan about its 1080p output.

2 quotes , triggered 

On 24/05/2019 at 11:34, Copland bear said:

Riddle me this riddles me that ur a mongo

On 23/05/2019 at 11:17, Copland bear said:

I can get another 18 months out my set up and I will probably go 4K and look for a 46" to 50",  As I said I would be looking at Sony or Panasonic , would not rule out lg and would spend between £1200 to £1800 for a tv.

Another 18 month of a definition less than four times worse, nah not for me but each to their own. 4K HDR all the way but if you’ve not seen better it’s easier to hold off