Middleton goal - Take a bow son!

LegendofCoop

1 hour ago, Cedrick said:

Middleton is equally as limited as the 2 mentioned in your bottom paragraph 

A few month ago I would’ve agreed with you but after watching him play for the reserves, where he is allowed much more freedom this young man will go on to cement his place in our starting 11. 

8 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

A few month ago I would’ve agreed with you but after watching him play for the reserves, where he is allowed much more freedom this young man will go on to cement his place in our starting 11. 

Hope your spot on mate 👍🏻👌🏻

Great strike. 

Good talent.

He's still very young but looks like he might be ready for consistent first team football. 

A loan move next year could do him good and allow him to develop further for our benefit. 

Nobody should be judging him too much right now.  He's only 19.

7 hours ago, Cedrick said:

Middleton is equally as limited as the 2 mentioned in your bottom paragraph 

He isnt though...ive literally given areas where is better than those other two!

15 minutes ago, Del said:

He isnt though...ive literally given areas where is better than those other two!

If only football was as simple as that mate , if we’re going down the statts route I’m guessing they’ll show after working out % of starts etc he’s a better player than Steve Davis too ? Can’t go on that when deciding who’s good and who’s not , has to be with the naked eye , tav would have his pre contract signed with Barcelona already going by your theory on players 

4 minutes ago, Cedrick said:

If only football was as simple as that mate , if we’re going down the statts route I’m guessing they’ll show after working out % of starts etc he’s a better player than Steve Davis too ? Can’t go on that when deciding who’s good and who’s not , has to be with the naked eye , tav would have his pre contract signed with Barcelona already going by your theory on players 

I agree you cant use stats to decide who is good and who isnt, but you can use them to compare similar players...I've no idea why you would compare the stats of David and Middleton for example, when they play in different roles, but it makes absolute sense to compare stats between Wylde, Middleton and MOH.

That being said, we weren't comparing their stats, I just gave them for information, but I would be interested to hear your interpretation of what my theory on players is?

You were the one that said Middleton was a Wylde/MOH clone and that their play style is identical, so I listed 3-4 things that Middleton does well that Wydle and MOH couldnt. No stats are going to prove that, but as you said the naked eye tells me that their style of play is not the same. Dont get me wrong, it is an easy/obvious comparison to make as they do have similarities, but when I think of Wylde I think of him putting his head down, kicking it past the fullback trying to beat him by sheer pace and putting a ball into the box. Middleton has much more to his game than that for me.

I also think we are being harsh on Wylde by the way comparing him to MOH! 😄

20 minutes ago, Del said:

I agree you cant use stats to decide who is good and who isnt, but you can use them to compare similar players...I've no idea why you would compare the stats of David and Middleton for example, when they play in different roles, but it makes absolute sense to compare stats between Wylde, Middleton and MOH.

That being said, we weren't comparing their stats, I just gave them for information, but I would be interested to hear your interpretation of what my theory on players is?

You were the one that said Middleton was a Wylde/MOH clone and that their play style is identical, so I listed 3-4 things that Middleton does well that Wydle and MOH couldnt. No stats are going to prove that, but as you said the naked eye tells me that their style of play is not the same. Dont get me wrong, it is an easy/obvious comparison to make as they do have similarities, but when I think of Wylde I think of him putting his head down, kicking it past the fullback trying to beat him by sheer pace and putting a ball into the box. Middleton has much more to his game than that for me.

I also think we are being harsh on Wylde by the way comparing him to MOH! 😄

👌🏻😂

Great goal.

Shows the gulf between this level and the first team is monumental though because he has been absolutely woeful for months on end at every opportunity he has had. Positionally poor, hiding at times, and in the back pocket of any opponent he's been up against.

A loan to a Motherwell or someone would do him the world of good.

11 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Great goal.

Shows the gulf between this level and the first team is monumental though because he has been absolutely woeful for months on end at every opportunity he has had. Positionally poor, hiding at times, and in the back pocket of any opponent he's been up against.

This man knows the game 👍🏻👌🏻👌🏻

41 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Great goal.

When exactly was he "woeful for months on end"? The amount of unsubstantiated shite that gets posted on here at times 😂

Of the 10 months that we have played games in so far this season, Middleton has only made appearances in 7 of them, and even at that there are a few (3 months in total) where has played 1-2 games. 

July 18 - No appearances

August 18 - 2 Appearances for a total of 25 mins

September 18 - 5 Appearances for a total of 177mins (1 full match vs Ary Utd in Cup) - Scored 3 goals and assisted 1

October 18 - 4 Appearances for a total of 47mins

November 18 - 4 Appearances for a total of 343mins (3 full matches) - Scored 2 and assisted 3

December 18 - 7 Appearances for a total of 388mins (3 full matches) - Assisted 1 goal

January 19 - No appearances

February 19 - 1 Appearance for a total of 29 minutes

March 19 - No appearances

April 19 - 1 Appearance for a total of 18 minutes

Although you have said he was " Positionally poor, hiding at times, and in the back pocket of any opponent he's been up against." I dont agree with at all! People were raving about how good he was, especially around November/December when he had a prolonged run in the team surrounding the European games. He did have poor games but if you look at those matches in isolation as a team we were awful (Aberdeen at Ibrox 10 men, Livingston Away 1-0, Hibs at Ibrox 1-1) but surely we cant be hold an 18yr old kid in his first season playing with the club responsible for that!!

1 minute ago, Del said:

When exactly was he "woeful for months on end"?

You've changed the whole context of the sentence by excluding "at every opportunity he has had".

His last 'good' game arguably came against Spartak Moscow away. It's been months since that game and any time he's been reintroduced he's been shockingly bad. 

Logan and if I'm remembering correctly Foster are two full backs he seemed shit scared to take on that stood out from when he's been brought back into the team.

He's miles behind some of his 19/20 year old contemporaries who are starring at SPL level for other clubs. But given he's only 19 he has plenty of time to be nurtured and developed into someone that hopefully we become in 2 or 3 years worried about being able to keep rather than debating whether he'll ever make it here. Has so much work to do though IMO.

4 hours ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

You've changed the whole context of the sentence by excluding "at every opportunity he has had".

His last 'good' game arguably came against Spartak Moscow away. It's been months since that game and any time he's been reintroduced he's been shockingly bad. 

Logan and if I'm remembering correctly Foster are two full backs he seemed shit scared to take on that stood out from when he's been brought back into the team.

He's miles behind some of his 19/20 year old contemporaries who are starring at SPL level for other clubs. But given he's only 19 he has plenty of time to be nurtured and developed into someone that hopefully we become in 2 or 3 years worried about being able to keep rather than debating whether he'll ever make it here. Has so much work to do though IMO.

The burning question is....why are players of the same age better at other clubs than the ones of a similar age, at Rangers? Why have we had so many players through the years that need to be nurtured and ultimately don't make it? Less expectation and pressure giving more freedom to play? I honestly don't know. It just seems that the progression from U20/U18/Reserves very rarely happens. 

38 minutes ago, LegendofCoop said:

The burning question is....why are players of the same age better at other clubs than the ones of a similar age, at Rangers? Why have we had so many players through the years that need to be nurtured and ultimately don't make it? Less expectation and pressure giving more freedom to play? I honestly don't know. It just seems that the progression from U20/U18/Reserves very rarely happens. 

Has to be a big element of this. Taking Turnbull as an example, I obviously don't watch him week in week out but in the recent match against us he made two or three mistakes that we would have slaughtered him for.

Also, just watched the Glasgow Cup highlights, Middleton looked extremely good. Like I said before it highlights the gulf between U20 and first team football but he's clearly a standout player at U20 level.

5 hours ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

St Johnstone away - he set up Morelos' first outta nothing. Since then I don't remember him getting much of a run in the team.

I don't agree that he's miles off - how many of these said contemporaries are scoring and assisting in the Europa league group stages?