Who’s Our Biggest Signing Since Gazza?

8 minutes ago, Teddybear123 said:

How times change😂 was it still a surprise we were able to get him though? 

I know. We'd struggle to get an under 21 England international now. English league fucks me off. Some of the shite players that get paid obscene amounts to sit on the bench and score 4 goals a season. 

Just now, northern bear said:

I know. We'd struggle to get an under 21 England international now. English league fucks me off. Some of the shite players that get paid obscene amounts to sit on the bench and score 4 goals a season. 

Yeah the premier league is just ruining football at this point. Bullshit that teams like Bournemouth are in a different financial world to us. 

I'd agree that it's realistically been Gerrard in terms of overall coverage of it and buzz around the club

Just before he was announced I was dead against it because he had no experience really but the day he was announced and it was all over SSN I was like a child at Christmas :lol:

13 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

I'd agree that it's realistically been Gerrard in terms of overall coverage of it and buzz around the club

Just before he was announced I was dead against it because he had no experience really but the day he was announced and it was all over SSN I was like a child at Christmas :lol:

I'd echo that. I then looked at this season and thought that if we made noticeable progress, finishing at least 2nd, and with strong building blocks in place then I'd be happy. Especially if the scum spent more on transfers than we did. 

They did, and we achieved what I'd  hoped and expected.

Folk expecting more were uber. deranged. uneducated, senseless or just plain stupid. Which is why as things stand I'll challenge the Gerrard haters who either want the unrealistic or revel in our continuous state of chaos and managerial change.

We're where our investment and recent history allows us to be. But next season is a big, big season.

Without doubt De Boer on the playing side but I think Gerrard has been the BIGGEST signing by name and stature alone, even greater than Gascoigne in terms of global appeal.

I know he's not a player but still a great connection for the club and supporters to have.

I met him in the queue for The Two Towers.   Talks like Renier Wolfcastle.   I remember being struck by a Dutchman taking his kids to see a movie in English having brought them up in Spain.  That was the most exciting part of the day, the movie just left me with an extremely numb arse . 

5 hours ago, ben51 said:

I funnily enough never really thought about it being De Boer.

I was at the age were I didn't fully appreciate how big a name he was, but I suppose he could be our biggest signing ever. 

I’d say Gazza just shades it.  He was still a global superstar despite his injury problems.

RDB is up there though, even in among the Advocaat era I couldn’t believe it when we signed him. 

On the park...no-one.

Off the park,definitely Gerrard. Large proportion of our support are starstruck by the name. Those Rangers fans who have became all 'Liverpool' now. We all know one,they are all wankers.

2 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Ronald de Boer but. 

What a player. 

After watching that it’s really stuck home how I didn’t appreciate how good a team we were, just took it for granted at the time. The passing , movement, through balls and finishes all made to look easy. If only it could be taught because Gerrard had it as a player too.

Ronald De Boer was the only candidate that came to mind for me. A world class player, who we probably got due to injury. 

Ability wise easy to see why he played for Barcelona.

We've made a number of big signings that have or haven't worked out... Names that stand out...

Numan

F De Boer

Caniggia

Kanchelskis

Mendes 

Rothen

Capucho

Guivarach

Prso

Boumsong

Alves

Defoe

These all jump to mind as players I was thinking 'thats a big signing' at the time.

I'd love to say I get excited by big names, but actually I'm probably more nervous about them.

Ronald De Boer is probably the most excited I've been as I was confident he'd be class and thankfully, most of the time he delivered

3 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Heysel stadium tragedy barred Englush clubs from Europe. We were paying the big bucks and could offer Europe, so it was easier then.

Imagine now, we could offer wages of £200k per week plus champions league and no English clubs were in Europe. We'd be deciding whether we wanted Kane or Vardy or Salah 😂

Great post mate. The bit I've highlighted in bold looks like pie in the sky stuff but things truly were like that in the Rangers era I was brought up in.

It's crazy how much the Scottish game has fell behind in the past 30 years. I've always blamed the money SKY and, in more modern times, BT were pumping in to English football but I suppose it isn't just the English now is it? There're teams who are swimming in money all over Europe and the Scottish game financially can't compete the way certainly we could in the 90s and to a certain extent the 00s. This thread should be a celebration of the wonderful players we have had the pleasure of watching but instead reading it I feel it's a reminder of how far things have gone in Scottish football and in turn us.

16 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

Belter.

The one against Dundee United at 1:27 though.

Still making my way through the video so there might be better.

About 2.26 in his goal at home to Killie is how I will always remember him. Classic De Boer. Sends the defence for about 10 hot dogs, out the stadium, invites them back in then casually ends their careers. Vintage.

10 hours ago, stewaj3 said:

Caniggia

I'd disagree that Caniggia was a big signing, I mean FFS we got him from Dundee.

Still baffled as to why he decided to go there in the 1st place. I know there was a disagreement with his former manager and joined Dundee because of an old team mate but FFS it was Dundee he went to.

Not in anyway saying he wasn't a great player but we wouldn't have signed him if it wasn't for Dundee.

Let's hope in a couple of years time there's another post about signings and I'm left saying the same about Kamara. 👍

15 hours ago, DBBTB said:

Signed for us for nothing on the back of captaining marseille to the UEFA Cup final IIRC. 

Crazy we signed Rodriguez who captained Monaco too.

Loved a trip to France our scouts around that time.

We signed 4 players that played in the 2004 champions league final.