Colt teams potentially into SPFL??

Ace

It would a big change of opinion among the smaller clubs for this to happen. It has been proposed the last couple of years and very few in any smaller clubs were in favour.

It can't be limited to two clubs, it has to be open to any club who wants to finance it.

Quite a few clubs are pulling out of the Reserve League next season, this might bring about some change of thought. Doubt it woud change enough minds to get the vote through.

Maybe the discussions around a possible European Colts league would be a catalyst in change the smaller clubs views.

24 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

Ajax won it last year and Psv i think we're third. 

They did  and they where also 3rd once but most other years they have been mid table.

The main difference between them and Scottish teams is most years they produce players that go onto play in the 1st team.

its always been like this and they only started playing in the 2nd division in 2013/14 having played previously in a separate reserve league so the argument that it will make our colt teams better is maybe not the case.

When they where in the reserve league they made it to the semi final of the main cup competition which shows how good they where at times.

23 minutes ago, Creampuff said:

How on earth are part-time teams going to get through a 44 game league season? 

would be closer to 50 with 3 cups....dont half have some idiots running our game

47 minutes ago, Stanley Yelnats said:

Who’s to say we would go in and dominate it? 

Our young colts team has been in the Challenge Cup twice now and has been knocked out in the early rounds. Championship and upper end of League 1 would give our young players a real hard test, there’s no way we would waltz in and win it. 

Back in 2012, there's plenty who thought we'd go into the bottom tier with our bunch of promising youngsters and dominate, tear up the leagues and back to the SPFL in jig time with a squad ready to do a ManU.  There's plenty who still think that's what we should have done.  Which is why your second sentence is very sensible, but it's what you'd have been rounded on for saying in 2012.  

2 hours ago, magic8ball said:

Which 2 colt teams. Thats the problem .If its only us and the taigs would enough vote it through. 

I would suggest 2 colt teams with th3 possibilty of relegation for one of them to allow any top league club have the opportunity too 

I'd imagine they'd take the 2 top teams from the reserve league which would be us and the taigs. Seems the fair way to do it.

For me a proper Reserve League is the right way to go.If UEFA can dictate that all pro/semi-Pro clubs must have women's teams,then it should be simple to enforce reserve teams into the criteria.

There are far to many 'wee' clubs in Scotland happy to yoyo between the bottom two leagues and I don't see how playing colts/reserve teams in those leagues would benefit the parent clubs.Reserve teams should be for the development of young players and help 1st team players recover from injury.I can't see how young lads being kicked up and down the park(as we witnessed on our journey)benefits anyone and would undermine the lower leagues credibility imo.

2 hours ago, Blueteeth said:

I know the reasons for it and why it would be good for us but I always cringe when I hear this being talked about.

Just a personal thing of course but, there’s only one Rangers team in the leagues and that’s the way I would like to keep it.

Yes there are youth and reserve sides but they don’t actually play real competitive league football and although they can put things in place to prevent the colt sides from getting promoted etc it still doesn’t sit right with me.

We already dominate this shite league with the scum, are we going to start dominating another teir? Then another? Rediculous to think the 3rd placed side will gain promotion year in year out. 

Just my opinion like I said, I just personally don’t like the idea.

Youth teams have struggled in the Challange Cup. Can't see them walking the lower leagues tbh. 

1 hour ago, Elfideldo said:

It would a big change of opinion among the smaller clubs for this to happen. It has been proposed the last couple of years and very few in any smaller clubs were in favour.

It can't be limited to two clubs, it has to be open to any club who wants to finance it.

Quite a few clubs are pulling out of the Reserve League next season, this might bring about some change of thought. Doubt it woud change enough minds to get the vote through.

Maybe the discussions around a possible European Colts league would be a catalyst in change the smaller clubs views.

It always has been. All top-flight clubs have been asked if they would be willing to enter a colt team at various stages. Until now only us and celtic have said yes. There are now at least two more clubs who have signalled interest.

Proposals would be good news for East Kilbride FC.

They just got pumped by the Highland champs to lose yet again in the playoff to enter the proper league set up.

They are waiting on getting a move to the big leagues before breaking ground on a new 4000 all seater stadium in the town.

Bit ridiculous that the second biggest (might be first, not sure with Paisley now) town in the country does not have a proper team.

If they win the lowland league they would be straight in.

Would prefer a European league for colt teams that clubs chose to enter (and where clubs could prove they met to-be-defined financial criteria for entry so that only clubs who were really serious about entry would apply and be admitted).  

Also would prefer reverting back to a top league structure where teams played each other just twice and not this 4 times a season shit that we get which, imo, sterilises our game, makes it boring and whose main benefit is for smaller clubs to get more bites at OF gate receipts and related TV revenue.

Is there really still a credible, overwhelmingly convincing case to stick with playing teams 4 times a season when the gap in quality between the bottom half of the SPFL and the top 4-6 clubs in the Scottish Championship is arguably much narrower.    Playing clubs 4 times a season is, imo, throttling the opportunity for clubs to produce quality football.  It produces games where being negative and defensively minded is the nature of the way clubs play to avoid dropping points for fear of relegation and of then losing out on OF game revenue and TV revenue.      

Cannot see this happening.
Every football minded person and their granny is telling them this is the way forward for the sake of Scottish football.
far too sensible advice for cunts that want to act like the tail wagging the dog.
A Rangers youth team in the lower leagues would generate extra money for the 2 men and a dog outfits.
Although,for the life of me I cannot see why we should help the cunts,who don't want to be helped.

1 minute ago, scottyscott1963 said:

Every football minded person and their granny is telling them this is the way forward for the sake of Scottish football.
far too sensible advice for cunts that want to act like the tail wagging the dog.
A Rangers youth team in the lower leagues would generate extra money for the 2 men and a dog outfits.
Although,for the life of me I cannot see why we should help the cunts,who don't want to be helped.

It's not about helping them.

4 hours ago, Blueteeth said:

I know the reasons for it and why it would be good for us but I always cringe when I hear this being talked about.

Just a personal thing of course but, there’s only one Rangers team in the leagues and that’s the way I would like to keep it.

Yes there are youth and reserve sides but they don’t actually play real competitive league football and although they can put things in place to prevent the colt sides from getting promoted etc it still doesn’t sit right with me.

We already dominate this shite league with the scum, are we going to start dominating another teir? Then another? Rediculous to think the 3rd placed side will gain promotion year in year out. 

Just my opinion like I said, I just personally don’t like the idea.

THE RESERVE SIDE WON THE LEAGUE YESTERDAY IS THAT NOT COMPETITIVE FOOTBALL

2 minutes ago, scottyscott1963 said:

I'd imagine our youth players getting exposure to playing a higher standard of football week in week out is a good reason. 

7 minutes ago, billscott said:

the game i was at yesterday was very competitive  i dont see your reasoning

You're conflating a game being competitive with something different. Reserve football carries little consequence. Clubs won't have to massively cut their budgets after a poor season at reserve level for example. Falkirk will have to reduce theirs significantly after falling to their third tier for the first time in 40 years. You have guys who are quite literally playing for their livelihoods. Reserve football doesn't have that pressure and it's why the club are so keen to get a Colt team in the league. 

One of the biggest things is that players don't learn the wee tricks that you pick up with experience playing against other 17-20 year-olds. Playing against guys who have been there and done it before will see them having to play guys who know how to get a ref on their side or know how to con a defender into fouling him consistently, how to get away with some shithousery at set-pieces. Kids don't learn that playing against other kids.

This might end up pretty lenghty so apologies in advance:

There are two things (from Rangers' perspective) that fans seem to miss when it comes to Colt teams and how it benefits the club and players more than a Reserve or any other sort of age-restricted league. 

The first one is (from an earlier post) that players don't learn the wee tricks that you pick up with experience playing against other 17-20 year-olds. Playing against guys who have been there and done it before will see them having to play guys who know how to get a ref on their side or know how to con a defender into fouling him consistently, how to get away with some shithousery at set-pieces. Kids don't learn that playing against other kids.

The second one is that the club have far more control over the players than they do under the current loan system. The rules in Scotland only allow two players from a club to join the same side on loan. meaning even if we had a preferred 'partner' we still couldn't send a load of players on loan to them. Getting boys out playing first-team football between 18-20 is vital now. Players can't be coming into a first-team squad now at 21 and have played a couple of first-team games in their career. They are immediately behind the curve and it hinders their development. Having a colt team means we have complete control over how our young players get to play first-team football. We'd control the style of play, we'd control where they played, we'd control their pre-match diet and prep, we'd control their recovery. It wouldn't be left, in part, to clubs who have an annual budget smaller than Steven Gerrard's monthly salary.

We'd be able to try players out in different tactical shapes and see how they cope with it or try players in new positions that we might have them earmarked for long-term. If they are out on loan somewhere to get first-team football then we have control over almost none of that. We don't get to decide when a player plays or what position he plays in. We don't get to see how a player responds in the dressing-room after a shocking result (or a good one), we've no idea how he is looking after himself in the hours before and after a game. And most importantly, we're left at the whims of a part-time team with coaches far less qualified than our own to look after the welfare of a player that we are paying a tidy wage too.

8 minutes ago, The Dude said:

You're conflating a game being competitive with something different. Reserve football carries little consequence. Clubs won't have to massively cut their budgets after a poor season at reserve level for example. Falkirk will have to reduce theirs significantly after falling to their third tier for the first time in 40 years. You have guys who are quite literally playing for their livelihoods. Reserve football doesn't have that pressure and it's why the club are so keen to get a Colt team in the league. 

One of the biggest things is that players don't learn the wee tricks that you pick up with experience playing against other 17-20 year-olds. Playing against guys who have been there and done it before will see them having to play guys who know how to get a ref on their side or know how to con a defender into fouling him consistently, how to get away with some shithousery at set-pieces. Kids don't learn that playing against other kids.

my arguement was not against colt teams playing in the league structure  i have said that for years  what i was saying was the reserve league is competetive y ou   are allowed first team players in these games ie older players  eg falkirk had 2 guys yesterday who played against ross county on sat  we had graham dorrans in our team           dont think you should confuse reserve games  with under 18 games  as i said reserve games can have a lot older  players in them                                    dor

Just now, billscott said:

my arguement was not against colt teams playing in the league structure  i have said that for years  what i was saying was the reserve league is competetive y ou   are allowed first team players in these games ie older players  eg falkirk had 2 guys yesterday who played against ross county on sat  we had graham dorrans in our team           dont think you should confuse reserve games  with under 18 games  as i said reserve games can have a lot older  players in them                                    dor

It's not really competitive though. That's why yesterday is almost certainly out last game as part of it. There's a huge disparity in the quaity between the good teams and the bad teams. That's one of the reasons clubs are looking to walk away from it.

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

It's not about helping them.

55 Titles say we managed fine in the past,and during this period we helped "them".
You coulda read a wee bit more into what I said instead of cherry picking  one part.
Never said we shouldn't do our bit.

2 hours ago, BF1 said:

I'd imagine our youth players getting exposure to playing a higher standard of football week in week out is a good reason. 

See the answer to The Dude above.