Souness on discipline

backup

15 minutes ago, Bears r us said:

If you read the full article he starts of by saying just that and then says how the game has changed as well since he was playing. I thought it was spot on by the way. 

I get that and i love souness but ffs it's like the McCanns giving a review of holiday kids clubs 

Souness was a nutter but at the end of the day he was the Manager and if anyone was gonna be booting cunts it was him and if you wanted to do it, you better run it past him first. With Souness I always had the feeling that if he wanted to march into Hell then the players would follow him, Souness gave out an aura that very few men can do while being a nutter, the kinda guy you could love, hate, fear, and respect at the same time.

30 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

I get that and i love souness but ffs it's like the McCanns giving a review of holiday kids clubs 

:lol:

I suppose time makes things also seem different, but he tried his best to say he was no angel when he was playing. Interesting that he was only sent off once in England. :thinking:

2 hours ago, backup said:

Graeme Souness reveals what Steven Gerrard needs to change in his Rangers side urgently
Allan McGregor's sending off on Sunday was the Ibrox outfit's 12th red card of season.

I agree with a lot of what GS said ..... but I must have missed the bit where he reveals what SG must do to curtail indiscipline ..... all he has laid out above is that he needs better players ... how does that stop indiscipline? ...... surely you must discipline the player involved and let him know in no uncertain terms that he has let the side down ..... and use whatever degree of punishment available for the indiscretion committed by that player ..... either financial or by dropping the player from the first team squad for a week or two .... or doing a Wallace on him and shutting him down for good.

I don't see how better players will improve discipline when our two best players are the ones guilty of the crime recently .... in the past we have had top players like Gascoigne also guilty of the same.

:UK:

50 minutes ago, geronimoo said:

Souness was a nutter but at the end of the day he was the Manager and if anyone was gonna be booting cunts it was him and if you wanted to do it, you better run it past him first. With Souness I always had the feeling that if he wanted to march into Hell then the players would follow him, Souness gave out an aura that very few men can do while being a nutter, the kinda guy you could love, hate, fear, and respect at the same time.

I like that.  

Love Morelos, but I see what Souness is also saying with regards to how much the game has changed. He's correct. 

16 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

I agree with a lot of what GS said ..... but I must have missed the bit where he reveals what SG must do to curtail indiscipline ..... all he has laid out above is that he needs better players ... how does that stop indiscipline? ...... surely you must discipline the player involved and let him know in no uncertain terms that he has let the side down ..... and use whatever degree of punishment available for the indiscretion committed by that player ..... either financial or by dropping the player from the first team squad for a week or two .... or doing a Wallace on him and shutting him down for good.

I don't see how better players will improve discipline when our two best players are the ones guilty of the crime recently .... in the past we have had top players like Gascoigne also guilty of the same.

Agree with this also. But Gerrard definitely does need to sort out rhe players quality in how they play the game and system. Some of our players are being continually mugged off and the problem mainly lies with the SPFL and how our club is treated on a whole compared to others. This isn't conspiracies, it's fact. They do need to get smarter against the opposition, the refs and the SPFL. 

The million pound question is how though? 

21 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

And, as Gerrard struggles to get his players to toe the line, Souness is adamant he must fix it to progress successfully in the job.
He said: “There’s always pressure when you play for Rangers and I’m the right person to speak about being sent off wearing a Rangers jersey.
“I played most of my career in England and was only sent off once, playing for Middlesbrough.
“I was sent off a few times when I was with Sampdoria but, up here, I must have been sent off three or four times, Easter Road, Parkhead and Pittodrie, so I know what that pressure is like.
“You don’t want to take that out of people’s games, but what you need is controlled aggression.
“You can’t play at the highest level without having a certain amount of aggravation in your system, but it’s about controlling that.
“I know it’s rich coming from me, but you can’t step across the line as the game has changed dramatically in the last decade.
“It’s not difficult because he’s a young manager. It’s difficult for ANY manager.

23 minutes ago, backup said:

And, as Gerrard struggles to get his players to toe the line, Souness is adamant he must fix it to progress successfully in the job.
He said: “There’s always pressure when you play for Rangers and I’m the right person to speak about being sent off wearing a Rangers jersey.
“I played most of my career in England and was only sent off once, playing for Middlesbrough.
“I was sent off a few times when I was with Sampdoria but, up here, I must have been sent off three or four times, Easter Road, Parkhead and Pittodrie, so I know what that pressure is like.
“You don’t want to take that out of people’s games, but what you need is controlled aggression.
“You can’t play at the highest level without having a certain amount of aggravation in your system, but it’s about controlling that.
“I know it’s rich coming from me, but you can’t step across the line as the game has changed dramatically in the last decade.
“It’s not difficult because he’s a young manager. It’s difficult for ANY manager.

👍

Unfortunately mate that is just telling just about everyone of us what we already know .... no great revelation on how to go about changing the players responsible.

Bears R Us had more of a meaningful suggestion .... sending them to see a Sports Therapist ... this is probably the way to go as it has had a lot of quick turn around (3-4 weeks) success.

I still don't see any great advice from GS in the above paragraph ..... though I value his take on the situation with him having had first hand practical experience of the difficulty of controlling aggression.

26 minutes ago, Sweettartangirl said:

Agree with this also. But Gerrard definitely does need to sort out rhe players quality in how they play the game and system. Some of our players are being continually mugged off and the problem mainly lies with the SPFL and how our club is treated on a whole compared to others. This isn't conspiracies, it's fact. They do need to get smarter against the opposition, the refs and the SPFL. 

The million pound question is how though? 

👍

Sports Therapist STG ..... to control the aggression not suppress it ... as suppression will eventually cause an even more aggressive outburst .... what GS said about controlling the symptom was correct he just did'nt reveal the solution.

5 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

Unfortunately mate that is just telling just about everyone of us what we already know .... no great revelation on how to go about changing the players responsible.

Bears R Us had more of a meaningful suggestion .... sending them to see a Sports Therapist ... this is probably the way to go as it has had a lot of quick turn around (3-4 weeks) success.

I still don't see any great advice from GS in the above paragraph ..... though I value his take on the situation with him having had first hand practical experience of the difficulty of controlling aggression.

What hurts most when players are out of line? Just cut wages and bonuses.