Souness on discipline

backup

4 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

👍

Sports Therapist STG ..... to control the aggression not suppress it ... as suppression will eventually cause an even more aggressive outburst .... what GS said about controlling the symptom was correct he just did'nt reveal the solution.

:UK: 

Do you think he has been/is going through this channel then? 

I hope so. 

5 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

What hurts most when players are out of line? Just cut wages and bonuses. 

👍

In the past when wages and winning bonuses were vital income most certainly correct mate .... unfortunately in today's mega rich players world it would have to be quite a sum to make him sit up and take notice ..... I think in today's Sports Science world the answer lies in therapy .... that helps the player to eradicate the problem without victimising him (as has been happening to Alfredo) ..... if successful it then improves the player and reduces the risk of further unwanted events that lead to dismissal from the field of play.

11 minutes ago, Sweettartangirl said:

Do you think he has been/is going through this channel then? 

I hope so. 

Would like to think it was proposed to him .... but not being ITK .... it is all conjecture on my part .... still it couldn't do any player any harm if the treatment were made available to him.

3 hours ago, delparlane said:

Alas for those halcyon bygone days when the likes of Billy Bremner and Vinnie Jones “graced” the pitches. 😋

Seen it all now, jones on the same page as the late great Billy Bremner 😉😂

5 hours ago, Bobby Hume said:

👍

Unfortunately mate that is just telling just about everyone of us what we already know .... no great revelation on how to go about changing the players responsible.

Bears R Us had more of a meaningful suggestion .... sending them to see a Sports Therapist ... this is probably the way to go as it has had a lot of quick turn around (3-4 weeks) success.

I still don't see any great advice from GS in the above paragraph ..... though I value his take on the situation with him having had first hand practical experience of the difficulty of controlling aggression.

I think he is saying the solution is in the hands of the player Bobby, controlled aggression, there weren't many better at that back in the day than the quiet assassin !

7 hours ago, Bears r us said:

:lol:

I suppose time makes things also seem different, but he tried his best to say he was no angel when he was playing. Interesting that he was only sent off once in England. :thinking:

I watched a video of him the other day mate and he should have been off a lot more than that. Some of the tackles weren't even rash they were career enders :lol:

I genuinely think the discipline issue is being blown out of proportion. 

First and foremost, let’s not lose sight of the fact that we are referreed to a different standard. So our discipline problem looks worse. Candeias sending off as an example. That’s not a discipline problem that’s a corrupt Scottish game problem

Secondly we have Alfie and Shagger. They two between them have the lion share of our reds. Sort those two out and our discipline looks much better. 

2 hours ago, Rfc52 said:

I watched a video of him the other day mate and he should have been off a lot more than that. Some of the tackles weren't even rash they were career enders :lol:

Yes I was surprised that he was only off once in England, just a totally different game now. No wonder he is called the magnificent bastard. :lol:

4 hours ago, Bears r us said:

Yes I was surprised that he was only off once in England, just a totally different game now. No wonder he is called the magnificent bastard. :lol:

The game - at least in Scotland - is too namby pamby nowadays.   A modern day Souness would be attracting red cards by the proverbial dozen.   And be spending more time with a sports therapist in anger / behaviour management classes than he would on the pitch.   It's the way the game is nowadays. A case of players having to adapt to the way the modern game is played and refereed and work within that, or don't bother and find a different career.   

3 minutes ago, Reformation Bear said:

The game - at least in Scotland - is too namby pamby nowadays.   A modern day Souness would be attracting red cards by the proverbial dozen.   And be spending more time with a sports therapist in anger / behaviour management classes than he would on the pitch.   It's the way the game is nowadays. A case of players having to adapt to the way the modern game is played and refereed and work within that, or don't bother and find a different career.   

Yes you are 100% right with all that I would say. :thumbup:

3 hours ago, Reformation Bear said:

Agree with the modern player having to adapt etc but disagree re Souness & the red cards.  

Yep he was a hard bastard on the park as well as a hellava player but first & foremost he was a winner.  

He played his game to the max, physically & mentally using every possible method at his disposal to influence the game in his favour.  With that was an intelligence & understanding of the boundaries which he respected & worked around.