Barisic explains his future at Ibrox

backup

Rangers defender Borna Barisic has insisted Steven Gerrard hasn't told him he's for sale and stressed he sees his future at Ibrox.
The Croatian international's future was reportedly in doubt after Ibrox boss Gerrard was far from impressed at the performances of Barisic, Eros Grezda and Kyle Lafferty in a recent friendly against Liverpool.
Gerrard warned: "If there are players I don’t need, it’s easy to address that. I’ll show the players an honesty and respect. If there’s someone who I don’t feel I can give happiness to, in terms of game time, then I’ll tell him. Then the decision’s out of my hands."

And Barisic also failed to impress the Rangers boss when he returned injured from a Euro 2020 qualifier for Croatia in March.
However, the former Osijek player insists Gerrard hasn't read the riot act to him and he still believes he will be a key part of his squad.
Barisic said: "This has been taken out of context. The only truth here is that I have been injured and I have found it hard to get into the team that is in great shape.

"We've won five in a row and conceded just one goal, so of course it's not easy to get back into the team.
"Rangers are a big club with great players and it's not easy to get back into the side.
"As far as my relationship with the coach, it's all great with me.
"I had two weeks out because of my injury with the national team. I got back training and played in a friendly match.
"I admit it took me a while to restore my physical condition and that's very important in the Scottish League.
"Now everything is ok and I feel great. I was on the bench in the last game and we have the derby with celtic coming up this week."

And Barisic tried to clarify what happened when he returned injured from international duty in a match against Hungary.
He explained: "Yes, Rangers were angry, but there was a misunderstanding.
"Everything was eventually sorted and now there's no problem in that regard.
"We play Wales soon and that is a very hard game for us."
Barisic is friendly with celtic rivals Filip Benkovic and Jozo Simunovic.
But, in an interview in Croatian publication Sportske Jutarnj, he admitted the friendship does have its limits.
He said: "No, I did not congratulate them on being champions.
"I didn't even congratulate Jozo Simunovic on his goal against Aberdeen."

The fact he made the bench on Sunday suggests he's not one of those who completely fucked it in the unders game against Liverpool. Perhaps he was the one who apologised.

He has talent and the physique needed, but thats just not enough for the game here. Time will tell whether he also has the mental strength required to succeed.

As much as I like the idea that he may not have congratulated his fellow Croatians that play for the taigs, not sure what the relevance is in an article? 

Seems a bit of an unnecessary add on to bait us for clicks. 

If he is looking to stay then that's a positive, if he is seriously getting his fitness levels up to speed for this upcoming season. 

Reads to me like he’s the one that’s thought to himself better buck up my ideas and play for this manager and club if I want to get a big money move somewhere, win trophies and still get into the Croatia squad. 

Think the others who played in that game are done though

Just now, LiverpoolBlue said:

He was most likely asked the question!

Yes I get that....but It's not relevant to the initial reason for the article though is it. 

We don't need to know whether he is friends with them and whether or not he congratulated them because it would be sort of expected if they play together in the international team -  if that makes sense. 

Anyway, by the by I suppose. Just hope Barisic is serious about getting himself fit if he is staying. 

Seems like he was the only one to apologize which is interesting. It's obviously a position we are weak in, Flanagan and Halliday can't be first choice  Would like him to get a good pre season and run of games. Look at the difference in Morelos with a good pre season, half the forum were wanting him shifted after last season and UFA

Definitely a player there. When he’s good he’s always in the right place when defending and attacking. Could be that the game in Scotland takes some getting used to. 

Its not everywhere that hard men thugs are better thought of than good technical footballers.

20 minutes ago, Reformation Bear said:

Trying to bolt the excuses gate closed after the opportunity horse has disappeared from the paddock and careering towards the distant horizon is always an interesting but fruitless exercise.    

Aye, neigh bother mate.